Search
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Well, that begs the question - which is your personal favorite place?
I have never been to Franklin's, only because I am always in Austin for work and have never had half a day to spend in line.

The best BBQ I have personally experienced was at Louie Mueller's, Taylor TX
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
You mean Jack Stack's?

Otherwise, Google is finding a few places with the word "smokestack" in them, but they don't look upscale in the way that Jack Stack's is.
There used to be a Smokestack up north in Clay County, MO that was quite good. I don't think it's there anymore. I have to think the prior poster was thinking of Jack Stack...there are 4 or 5 locations around town, with the most well-known one in the Crossroads south of downtown. Great burnt ends. All of the side dishes are fantastic - especially the beans.

Q39 is the hot new(ish) trendy spot. If you want to eat there for lunch, get there at 11AM sharp. Also a dinner spot although I haven't been there in the evening yet.

Danny's ("the Pink Pig") on the Boulevard is a nice, quick BBQ sandwich spot for lunch. Good pork and burnt ends. Sandwich + fries + drink for about $12, easy in and out plus some outdoor picnic tables.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
I'm a KCBS BBQ judge and travel regularly through most of the great BBQ areas in the US. After much sampling and contemplation, I now believe that the absolute BEST BBQ comes from central Texas. However, there is also a lot of mediocre BBQ in Texas, and several major metros in the state have very little excellent Q to be found.
Absolutely. Perfect Texas brisket is an amazing experience. Transcendental, perhaps. However, as I posted elsewhere on either this thread or a different BBQ-themed one, there is a ton of shockingly bad, barely edible brisket on offer all over Texas. Dry. Flavorless. Tough... I rarely eat BBQ because so much of what is available here in TX ranges from mediocre to terrible.

I think the MOST CONSISTENTLY GREAT BBQ comes from North Carolina, specifically the whole hog joints. Nothing better than a spicy, vinegar based sauce IMHO.
I think it is much easier to do edible pork than beef brisket. Mediocre pulled pork is usually edible; meidocre brisket is nasty. If forced to eat BBQ at a less than top-tier place even here in Texas, I will go with the safer choice of pulled pork. Brisket is just really hard to do right.

One recommendation to add to this thread that I don't think I've seen yet. While really good BBQ is hard to find outside of Central Texas and a few foodie destinations in DFW, there's actually a pretty good place in East Texas.

While I would not make a special trip to TYR just to eat there, if one was in East Texas anyway or needed a worthy detour off of I-20 for lunch between DAL & SHV, I really like Stanley's Famous Pit BBQ in downtown TYR:

http://stanleysfamous.com/
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by pinniped

Q39 is the hot new(ish) trendy spot. If you want to eat there for lunch, get there at 11AM sharp.
^^^ I love the place - it is my new favorite when in town.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:37 pm

Last weekend I ate at Black's in Austin. It had very good brisket, like their location in Lockhart, but lacking in atmosphere.

I have been to Stanley's in Tyler, agree that it is very good.

But my favorites are still Mueller's in Taylor and Pecan Lodge in Dallas.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
+1 to Stanley's. I've literally only driven through that part of the world one time, and when I saw a Tyler sign I remembered "Isn't there supposed to be a famous BBQ joint here?" We stopped for an early dinner there and took a few photos...it was fantastic. ^ The place has very little parking...I remember we parked on a side street a block away or so...
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Some more candidates

Pecan Lodge
Cattleack
Lockhart Smokehouse
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:27 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by deniah
technically its not in Houston, but given the scale of the state, the 3 Rudys location are always always consistent and good.
houston:

rudy's is the best chain bbq out there and nice when i'm travelling intra-texas or i have a post-7pm bbq hankering. but their brisket and ribs and sause are way way way way too salty. the sause is nice, but good lord the salt.

i went to brisket house and found it to be alright but not worth the trek. a bit pricey but it's in that kinda pricey area.

triple j's was great, had an awesome 2 plate ribs+links. man the links in houston are awesome.

3rd ward has tons of little trucks and holes in the wall, many of which are not on google. fabulous fabulous ribs anywhere you go. and of course rays did not disappoint.

a few years ago somewhere in the northline/eastex area i stumbled across this bbq hole in the wall. it was a standalone building, no seating, no inside, with a sign that just said bbq and one of those typical neon open sign on the wall. this building was standalone, probably buffered by 2 empty lots on both sides. it's just a sliding window, 1-way/mirror glass, no counter or nothing, really really weird/hosuton. i'm just like ......super confused, so after standing around awkwardly for 20 seconds i just walk away to my car, window slides open and a middle aged gentleman in a wife beater, paint stained nike basketball shorts, socks+sandals (yall know.. that north houston bidness casual look) says "sorry sorry about that...what can i getcha". the inside has a proper prep table but most prominent is a crappy executive leather chair and fresh prince of bel air on the tv. this cat has some semi-retired bbq for fun kinda situation going on. i say "yeah you got a menu?"
he says "nawnaw, i got ribs n links left"

so i order a rib sammich, he says sure and slams the window. i wait prob 5-10 minutes, wondering if he's screwing with me

5.50 or something cheap, great spicy sauce on the side, oh your god some of the best ribs ever.

i haven't been able to find it since, anyone know where i was? this was the first time i ever had been to houston and at that point i never knew i'd fall in love with that swamp. i can tell you it is not on tidwell, crosstimbers, or lil york. it was in close proximity to hardy.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by cur
a few years ago somewhere in the northline/eastex area i stumbled across this bbq hole in the wall. it was a standalone building, no seating, no inside, with a sign that just said bbq and one of those typical neon open sign on the wall. this building was standalone, probably buffered by 2 empty lots on both sides. it's just a sliding window, 1-way/mirror glass, no counter or nothing, really really weird/hosuton. i'm just like ......super confused, so after standing around awkwardly for 20 seconds i just walk away to my car, window slides open and a middle aged gentleman in a wife beater, paint stained nike basketball shorts, socks+sandals (yall know.. that north houston bidness casual look) says "sorry sorry about that...what can i getcha". the inside has a proper prep table but most prominent is a crappy executive leather chair and fresh prince of bel air on the tv. this cat has some semi-retired bbq for fun kinda situation going on. i say "yeah you got a menu?"
he says "nawnaw, i got ribs n links left"

so i order a rib sammich, he says sure and slams the window. i wait prob 5-10 minutes, wondering if he's screwing with me

5.50 or something cheap, great spicy sauce on the side, oh your god some of the best ribs ever.

i haven't been able to find it since, anyone know where i was? this was the first time i ever had been to houston and at that point i never knew i'd fall in love with that swamp. i can tell you it is not on tidwell, crosstimbers, or lil york. it was in close proximity to hardy.
I'd try tweeting to Texas Monthly BBQ @tmbbq or their BBQ editor Daniel Vaughn @BBQsnob. I'll be he or one of his readers could figure it out for you.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:42 am

usatoday is highlighting Tops BBQ in Memphis. Anyone been?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...ssee/87522792/
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by swag
I'd try tweeting to Texas Monthly BBQ @tmbbq or their BBQ editor Daniel Vaughn @BBQsnob. I'll be he or one of his readers could figure it out for you.
+1. Excellent advice.

You have to love a state where the magazine of record favored by the state's intelligentsia/chattering classes actually employs a full-time BBQ Editor!

Originally Posted by violist
Pecan Lodge is well-covered on this thread and all the BBQ-themed ones. I won't add anything else other than to say it lives up to the hype and then some. It's phenomenally good.

Haven't checked out Cattleack yet. I didn't click on the link but is that the joint that is open one day a week an an industrial park parking lot?

Lockhart Smokehouse has always disappointed me. I've only been to the Plano location, not Oak Cliff. Multiple visits to Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano have resulted in pretty mediocre BBQ. I'm done with the place. Lockhart (the town) it ain't!

Last edited by Herb687; Jul 30, 2016 at 7:59 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Lockhart Smokehouse has always disappointed me. I've only been to the Plano location, not Oak Cliff. Multiple visits to Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano have resulted in pretty mediocre BBQ. I'm done with the place. Lockhart (the town) it ain't!
I'm going to have to give them another shot or two. I very much enjoyed Lockhart Smokehouse -
but then I prefer quite fatty brisket. If the real Lockhart were accessible by light rail, there'd be
no question, and my go-to would be Black's.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
Haven't checked out Cattleack yet. I didn't click on the link but is that the joint that is open one day a week an an industrial park parking lot?

That's the one. It's only open for lunch Thursday & Friday. Most people from my office that is close by will just pre-order to avoid the lines. It's worth it!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by AdamLX
That's the one. It's only open for lunch Thursday & Friday. Most people from my office that is close by will just pre-order to avoid the lines. It's worth it!
Try the beef rib! They are over a pound easy and amazing! Just don't be shocked when they price it out at ~25 dollars a rib....
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by ghia74
I'm doing a small road trip with my son in August to knock some new states in the mid-west on our quest to do all 50. Besides the sites, I am hoping to have some great food and used this thread as inspiration. We are starting in Nashville and ending up in Tulsa. Here is what I got so far:

Nashville to St Louis via Mammouth Cave National Park

St Louis - Bogarts Smokehouse

Kansas City - Joe's Kansas City Smokehouse

Betonville - (could not find any standout food options in NW AR)

Tulsa - Elmers

Am I missing anything good? Anyone familiar with the routes and thinks there is a place along the way worth stopping at?
I'm not sure if you have taken your trip yet or not, but you have a pretty good list there....You might want to see if 17th Street BBQ in Marion/Murphysboro Illinois is along your way as that is pretty high grade in my opinion...

Bogart's is the best I have ate anywhere...I live 100+ miles from there and have, more than once, jumped in the car on a whim and drove over there just to eat and come home...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.