Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crabbing
opentable wiki

the basics:
1. create an account at opentable.com. i believe you assign your default metro area when you make your account.
2. use the website to find restaurants in the neighborhood of your choice. you can pick a specific neighborhood if you know it. there is a hidden map feature, accessed through an upside-down raindrop.
3. pick the location, time, and number of people in your party. note that some places impose min/max party size.
4. you can also find 1000-point times for certain locations, which appear on the list of times with a "+."

using points:
  • start here to access the list of restaurants that accept opentable gift cards.
  • gift cards are sent via email.
  • OT gift cards are either tied to a specific restaurant, or you can choose a generic card that can be redeemed later (if anyone has done this, please update the wiki as to whether you still have to choose the restaurant and redeem online)
  • note: the number of restaurants that accept OT gift cards is significantly smaller than the number of restaurants that award OT points.

tips and tricks:
  • if a location is not busy or the receptionist is forgetful, they might not remember to check you in, so it doesn't hurt to ask.
  • you often can be early or late and still get points, but the flexibility depends on the specific restaurant.
  • sometimes they can be flexible on the party size - this is particularly useful if it's just yourself (for places with a min of 2), or you have a large party.
  • if a place doesn't credit, usually an email to OT will get it credited. you might need a receipt as proof.
  • some places credit your points as soon as you check in with the restaurant, while some can wait until several hours later.
  • some restaurants allow reservations but do not award points. some have point-earning times and non-point-earning times. and some really sneaky places give points made through OT, but not through the OT/reservations link on the restaurant's own website. worse, they may set a "session cookie" that ensures your reservation is flagged "no points," so your best bet is to close and reopen your browser to reset the session cookie before making the reservation (or canceling and rebooking).
  • don't forget that OT has nothing to do with how you pay for a meal. so it "stacks" with chase first friday bonuses, rewards network, restaurant.com certificates, coupons, etc.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Open Table" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2004, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snorkmaster:
VIP MEMBER BENEFITS
Restaurants know you are an OpenTable VIP. Your reservation is flagged with a special note
Periodic perks such as VIP invitations, premium offers, and more
Exclusive recognition on OpenTable.com for VIP Members
[/i]
</font>
In other words nothing (kinda like Orbitz VIP status).

Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
i love opentable and use it frequently. i am a VIP member and have never really noticed any difference between opentable pre-VIP and post-VIP in terms of announcemetns (i.e., spam) and/or how i am treated at the restaurants.</font>
I haven't seen any difference either as a VIP member. Has anyone?
Old Feb 11, 2004, 5:37 pm

opentable is terrific - I use it wherever I travel.... they often have links right to the restaurants so you can look at menus, plus they'll give you great ideas for various holiday meals (New Years, etc)

I have been VIP for quite a while, and I am pretty convinced that it means nothing. Still, they offer a great service!
Old Feb 21, 2004, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
We should compile a list of restaurants that participate in BOTH OpenTable and idine. I know of one in San Francisco, and it even has the 1,000-point off-peak deal on some days! On second thought, if this information is shared too widely, the "deal" may disappear.... </font>
Darn! The deal DID disappear!!!

The unnamed restaurant has apparently stopped participating in OpenTable. So no more 1,000-point, or even 100-point, reservations there. Luckily, they DO still participate in idine.

I wonder if just by mentioning the "deal," even without actually naming the restaurant, I somehow jinxed things.

Kathy

Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:44 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Kathy:

Check out 2223 -- it participates in both programs.

Old Apr 17, 2004, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Thumbs up Bruno's is back on opentable.com (and still on idine)!

The "unnamed restaurant" mentioned in my posts above is Bruno's (Mission/20th Streets, San Francisco).

And I am happy to report that, after a short hiatus, Bruno's is back on opentable.com AND they award idine points.

Unfortunately, they aren't participating in the 1,000-point opentable.com specials at the moment.

I just had a meal there last night and double-dipped -- 100 opentable.com points PLUS 10 times the bill idine points!

Note: Bruno's does NOT award idine points on Saturdays; all other days of the week it awards 10x points.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 6:43 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I always try to use OpenTable, but not expecting any special treatment. It's just like MyPoints.com, might as well get something out of it. Very handy though.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 1:12 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Great!

I just Googled for a restaurant I wanted to call for reservations. MTV's VMA happen here (Miami) Sunday, so I thought the restaurants on the beach might be a little packed. I found OpenTable and booked the restaurant no problem. It was so easy, I added a place for Saturday that I had wanted to try.

The v card for Outlook is a great feature for me. I drag and drop it into Outlook from my desktop. When I sync my Palm Treo phone, I have the reservation there in case the restaurant gives me grief (haven't been yet).

The entire process, including putting the reminder in my calendar, takes one minute.

I love this!

Only thing better would be Kathy's suggestion that there be a list of IDine places that were on OpenTable. In fact, I found myself crossing between the two in hopes that I could find dual entries. I will say this, the OpenTable search criteria is MUCH better $-$$$$, etc.

Sam
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Restaurants seem to leave idine pretty frequently. Bruno's is no longer listed on idine, though it IS still on OpenTable. Bruno's doesn't seem to be offering any 1,000-point OpenTable deals at the moment. (And their cuisine has changed from Italian to Southern, according to the OpenTable website; why fix what ain't broke??? )
Old Aug 27, 2004, 2:14 pm

One time, OpenTable was able to get me a table at a preferred time (Friday 7:00), instead of the dreaded before 6 or after 9:30 when calling the restaurant. Otherwise, I see no difference between phone & OpenTable reservations.

Last edited by cmccool; Aug 27, 2004 at 5:15 pm
Old Aug 27, 2004, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
uuummm....free money? The convenience of not having to deal with the attitude of some 20 year old snotty girl who thinks the world owes her something cause she's pretty?
Old Aug 28, 2004, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmccool
One time, OpenTable was able to get me a table at a preferred time (Friday 7:00), instead of the dreaded before 6 or after 9:30 when calling the restaurant. Otherwise, I see no difference between phone & OpenTable reservations.
Phone reservations don't earn you points towards dining. Or did you happen to miss that detail?
Old Aug 28, 2004, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I used opentable.com in SF once (Plumpjack) and Oakland (Oliveto) and wouldn't hesitate to use it again. I like the flexiblity of being able to change reservation times, if available, without the hassle of calling up the restaurant and hoping someone answers or is available.

Last edited by CApreppie; Aug 28, 2004 at 8:56 pm
Old Sep 1, 2004, 2:18 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum; Starwood Gold; BA Blue; VS Red; DL; US; CO; NW
My girlfriend used opentable to make us a reservation for my birthday this year. Only problem--the restaurant was not open that day and opentable didn't know it until about 10 days beforehand, when we suddenly got an e-mail cancelling the reservation without explanation. Had to call the restaurant to find out why. Seems that if they have a direct tie-in to the restaurant's system, they should have know this sooner. Thankfully we managed to get a reservation somewhere else (this was actually a bit of an issue since we were leaving for Mexico for the week prior to my birthday).

Other times we have not had a problem, but this experience caused us to raise our eyebrows a bit.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
I have never used it. I came across it for some NY restaurants last night.

Anyone used it? Any advantage/disadvantage?

I put in one restaurant and all their reservation slots were 5:30 pm. I wondered if you have better/worse luck calling the restaurant directly?

Thanks
I've used it to make several NYC restaurant reservations and haven't had any difficulties. I can't say there are any advantages, other than not having to pick up the phone and call the restaurant. I guess the disadvantage is pretty much the same - you don't get to talk to anyone, so there's no chance of "sweet talking" your way into a table.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.