Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Splitting a Coffee" in a Restaurant?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I've spilt a glass of wine with my wife, but never ordered it that way. I've just grabbed it and taken the odd sip. There's also a local bar where I feel comfortable asking for a half glass of wine at the end of the evening. They usually pour me one and don't add it to the tab.
Hope the local bar fared well during Irma . For a moment I thought you were writing about spilling wine.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by HMPS
Hope the local bar fared well during Irma . For a moment I thought you were writing about spilling wine.
LOL It looked right when I typed it. Of course I originally thought the title of the thread was "Spitting in a Coffee". I have an appointment with the eye doctor for November.

The local bar survived Irma just fine. Still has a roof.
HMPS likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
LOL It looked right when I typed it. Of course I originally thought the title of the thread was "Spitting in a Coffee". I have an appointment with the eye doctor for November.

The local bar survived Irma just fine. Still has a roof.
Is a roof mandatory for a bar?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Well, at least they didnt ask to share a coffee and then ask the waiter to bring a second coffee cup so they could each could have their own....now that would have been funny.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by kipper
YES ! Otherwise those "wine swilling" overindulgent patrons start to see Flying Saucers !
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
YES ! Otherwise those "wine swilling" overindulgent patrons start to see Flying Saucers !
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Splitting a coffee? How bizarre.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
It seems to be traditional. But many of my favorite drinking holes here do not extend the roof over the seating area.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:21 pm

It seems to be traditional. But many of my favorite drinking holes here do not extend the roof over the seating area.
I don't think it is necessary.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Splitting a coffee is a cheapskate move because it's customarily an item that comes with free refills. Indeed, in this case the server did even refill it. If I were the manager I wouldn't have allowed it. Splitting items that don't come with refills is fine, though. E.g., splitting an appetizer or dessert is common.
I think this is the general rule, no splitting items with free refills, otherwise it's fine. The only exception I'd add is that you don't split soup...it's just weird.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by JBord
I think this is the general rule, no splitting items with free refills, otherwise it's fine. The only exception I'd add is that you don't split soup...it's just weird.
Last night, I was at a local diner that caters to many Jewish people, thus a special Rosh Hashanah Dinner offering. An older couple came in, she was 100, he was 99. They split the "dinner" for no extra charge, including the soup, gefilte fish appetizer, main course, and dessert. One positive was that he bought an extra glass of wine whereas one was included in the set price.

At IHOP, I see many couples who get the never ending coffee pot, which usually costs $4.95 per person with only one "cup." They only get charged for one person, and after one finishes with the cup of coffee, the other then makes their own from the same "pot." Since I don't drink their coffee, I order myself a hot chocolate or tea instead. I never stick around to see if they charge the customers for multiple people as it should be when they see this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99

At IHOP, I see many couples who get the never ending coffee pot, which usually costs $4.95 per person with only one "cup." They only get charged for one person, and after one finishes with the cup of coffee, the other then makes their own from the same "pot." Since I don't drink their coffee, I order myself a hot chocolate or tea instead. I never stick around to see if they charge the customers for multiple people as it should be when they see this.
If it was my restaurant, I would overlook it. A pot of coffee there can't cost more than fifty cents. And how long do most people sit there? Long enough to drink more than one or two pots? Yes, it's cheating/stealing but I suspect a small degree of theft is built into their pricing structure just the way a retail store sets prices to cover some level of shoplifting. So you and I paid for it, but the price was pretty small, I would think.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
If it was my restaurant, I would overlook it. A pot of coffee there can't cost more than fifty cents. And how long do most people sit there? Long enough to drink more than one or two pots? Yes, it's cheating/stealing but I suspect a small degree of theft is built into their pricing structure just the way a retail store sets prices to cover some level of shoplifting. So you and I paid for it, but the price was pretty small, I would think.
I would too. I love the
from a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode. Discovering at the end of the episode that the lawyer is a total incompetent only adds to the fun.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:07 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Splitting a coffee is a cheapskate move because it's customarily an item that comes with free refills. Indeed, in this case the server did even refill it. If I were the manager I wouldn't have allowed it. Splitting items that don't come with refills is fine, though. E.g., splitting an appetizer or dessert is common.
What are you going to do - stand there and make sure the other person doesn't ever take a sip of of the cup?

Maybe they just drink slowly, and rather than have two separate cups get cold while they sip, sharing one is more likely to result in hotter coffee for longer.

Do I find it odd? Yes. But if I overheard you as a manager draw a hard line over a $3 cup of coffee, I'd probably think twice about returning.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I have never heard of splitting a coffee. From a practical standpoint, my other half and I couldn't. He's sweetener and sometimes cream. I take my coffee black.

But, no, of all the things I've heard of splitting in a restaurant, that one is a first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.