Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

I have never had a WhataBurger! Am I missing something?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I have never had a WhataBurger! Am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:23 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Has anyone tried BurgerFi? It's a little on the expensive side, but the burgers actually have that steak taste to them. I guess it might be the Angus Steak they grind up for them.

www.burgerfi.com
it was ok IMO (wasn't cheap nor quick)
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by james318
In fact, here was today's lunch from K-POP: Egg bun, 1/2lb burger, lettuce, pickles, grilled jalapeños, onions, pepper jack cheese, and jalapeño ranch sauce. I ate half.
Well seeing those fries really just made me hungry. I usually prefer them thin and crispy, but those look delicious!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Never eaten at Whataburger. There is some spice /fake flavoring in an In and Out burger that is compelling. However, give me a burger from The Habit (Cali chain) or Red Robin. Or a spicy chicken and fries from Rally's.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
i remember going there in my hometown in Mexico, back in the early 00's but they went bankrupt. I dont even remember if i liked them or not to be honest LOL
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by navi_jen
However, give me a burger from The Habit (Cali chain) or Red Robin.
Red Robin's burgers used to be very flavorful. Now, my kids don't even want to go. I've been unimpressed with RR for at least the past four years.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Red Robin's burgers used to be very flavorful. Now, my kids don't even want to go. I've been unimpressed with RR for at least the past four years.
Really? I have not noticed a decline in RR...their burgers are still very good IMO.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by corky
Really? I have not noticed a decline in RR...their burgers are still very good IMO.
I think I used to order the pot roast burger but over time the noise level at RR became unbearable.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I stopped liking their burgers a long time ago. The chicken is still pretty decent, and you can sub it on any burger. But the food in general all seems to have gone downhill, fries included.

RR used to be one of my favorite chain restaurants. When I moved to DFW 5+ years ago, there was not one close enough to my house to justify going. They opened one a few months ago close by and I've only been there twice.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Ate it for the first time (and so far only) at Dallas Love Field. They were pretty good, not "Oh my gosh this is the best burger ever" good, but good enough for repeat trips.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by corky
Yeah, surprised to hear sharp criticism of RR. Seems as spot on as it ever was. If you can call it spot on that is. The variety of fry sauces is great. The Wedge also rocks.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by JBord
Yeah...Waffle House, Denny's, Shoney's, etc. They're all kind of the same. Diner food at low prices. I have no problem with any of them, but for the poster above, I certainly wouldn't go out of my way on a trip to eat at one.
The times I've ended up in Denny's or Waffle House, it's more because they were open 24 hours than because of food quality. About 80% of the Denny's food I've consumed in my lifetime has been because of a road trip to a rock concert and it was the option just off the interstate for getting something to eat and a bit more caffeine at 1 or 2 am. So I associate Denny's with short term hearing loss more than anything else. I also don't think I've ever been in a Waffle House during daylight hours.

I do end up at Whataburger a few times a month. I haven't eaten red meat since the 1990s, but they've got passable chicken offerings, even if their tenders aren't quite as good as Yardbirds, and there's a Whataburger roughly three block from my house.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
They're in Arizona and when i was attending Arizona State I never got what the appeal was. However, I will say that on a couple visits to Austin when I went at 1 AM after an evening drinking on Rainey Street it was pretty damn good. Maybe it's better in Texas?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Out of the blue yesterday, the kids wanted to go to Red Robin, so we went. I had the Smoke & Pepper (in which I subbed the smoke & pepper ketchup for their chipotle sauce) burger and Mrs. Swede had the Wedgie burger, and we both thought it was just okay. I think the issue is that the hamburger patty is really underseasoned.

I will try to avoid going back anytime soon unless forced to.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Is it worth driving from Orlando to Jacksonville to get Whataburger?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Yeah, surprised to hear sharp criticism of RR. Seems as spot on as it ever was. If you can call it spot on that is. The variety of fry sauces is great. The Wedge also rocks.
I think it has more to do with the great variety of quality fast food burger places that have sprung up nationally. To me, the food at RR is fine. It used to be a great burger, but now I think it compares equally to many others because the others have gotten better.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Is it worth driving from Orlando to Jacksonville to get Whataburger?
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't drive more than 30 minutes for fast food. Is it a good burger? Yes, one of the better fast food burgers. But save yourself the time, trouble, and gas and go to a real burger place closer to home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.