Marmite.Yay or nay ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marmite.Yay or nay ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Fortunately, I am not at risk of a vitamin B deficiency and developing Beri-Beri and can do without the beer leftovers. I don't mind a refreshing Bass's Ale, which my father told me was the original source of the disgusting item, but leftover mash is best given to the hogs and cows.

As an aside, it is not a particularly good product for many of the older FT members or those with high blood pressure. It's chock full of sodium and verboten for those with high BP. I expect one would be rather thirsty and with a bladder ready to burst after scorfing down kippers, sausages and a heaping helping of marmite.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Marmite is great. It's a bit sweeter than Vegemite. When I lived in London it was my go to spread. On a roll with a bit of gouda.^
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'm partial to salty foods though I do my best to avoid excessive sodium intake so like Marmite, Vegemite and Bovril (though Ive hardly had any of them in a decade). Never was able to have a horizontal(?) tasting so can't compare what they taste like.

How about Patum peperium?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I've never had Marmite or any related variations. I'm always up for trying new foods, but sadly, this is one of those foods where I've heard enough negative reactions where I'm not going to go out and buy the stuff. Maybe if it's in an airport lounge in SYD or something, I might give it a go...
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:41 pm

Vegemite with cheese... Mmmmmmm

Vegemite on toast.... fried egg on top..... MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeebus
I've never had Marmite or any related variations. I'm always up for trying new foods, but sadly, this is one of those foods where I've heard enough negative reactions where I'm not going to go out and buy the stuff. Maybe if it's in an airport lounge in SYD or something, I might give it a go...
It's really not that bad. It's just very salty with an umami type flavour. The problem is that innocent first timers smear it on like Nutella and then bite in and of course have an intense dislike to it.

Originally Posted by trooper
Vegemite with cheese... Mmmmmmm

Vegemite on toast.... fried egg on top..... MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm
Egg, cheese, Vegemite jaffle. Magic.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 16, 2016 at 1:55 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:06 pm

OK...now I'm hungry....
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
I'm ambivalent towards it as a toast topping / sandwich filling, it doesn't offend me in any way but I don't seek it out.

As a cooking ingredient, however, it is almost as essential as Worcestershire sauce in my larder. A smidge of it adds a touch of umami to red meat dishes; you don't know it's there but it makes a difference.

My wife's Grandfather, on the odd occasion he had to fend for himself, used to have it in a sandwich with peanut butter and banana.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FinalCallDXB
As a cooking ingredient, however, it is almost as essential as Worcestershire sauce in my larder. A smidge of it adds a touch of umami to red meat dishes; you don't know it's there but it makes a difference.
I do enjoy it as a spread (although I was shocked to discover how much I hated New Zealand's Marmite), but I go through massive jars easily using it as a cooking ingredient. It's perhaps even more versatile as a cooking ingredient than Worcester sauce.
I use it instead of salt in soups, stews, casseroles, sauces. Never have to ask guests if they're adverse to Marmite, as FinalCallDXB says, you'd never know it was there, but it does make a difference.

When we need a quick carb heavy bite to eat then butter, pasta, marmite and some Parmesan (AKA the infamous Marmite spaghetti) is a favourite at our house. It's not much of a leap from shoyu spaghetti which my husband grew up with.
https://www.nigella.com/recipes/spaghetti-with-marmite
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Love it. It hates me - gout. Bugger.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Marmite and peanut butter on toast for breakfast this morning although Mrs Clint Bint did point out the addition of cholesterol-lowering margarine was probably superfluous.
I pointed out that she was eating a bacon sandwich at the time.
It's how we roll on a Sunday morning.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Marmite and peanut butter on toast for breakfast this morning
Wow. I found my limit. That sounds disgusting.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
Wow. I found my limit. That sounds disgusting.
I can go better.
If there had been a banana in the house that would have gone on it as well.^
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
I grew up with Vitam-R which is a German version of Marmite/Vegemite. The only way I eat it is spread thinly (!) on buttered bread or toast. I do eat Marmite and Vegemite on occasion, but for me they taste a bit odd and are a bit too salty. Definitely an acquired taste.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
As an aside, it is not a particularly good product for many of the older FT members or those with high blood pressure. It's chock full of sodium and verboten for those with high BP. I expect one would be rather thirsty and with a bladder ready to burst after scorfing down kippers, sausages and a heaping helping of marmite.
You're not supposed to have a heaping helping of marmite, an average portion would not even be half a teaspoon.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Clint Bint
I can go better.
If there had been a banana in the house that would have gone on it as well.^
When is your court date at the ICC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.