FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Marmite.Yay or nay ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1796606-marmite-yay-nay.html)

Clint Bint Oct 15, 2016 6:00 am

Marmite.Yay or nay ?

A savoury spread made from yeast extract - a waste product of the brewing industry - Marmite has also entered the English language as a word to describe something which attracts extremes of opinion but rarely anything in between.
Either you loath it or you love it [redacted OMNI/PR political characterization]
I'm deffo in the ^ camp ( for Marmite ! )

flyupfrnt Oct 15, 2016 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Clint Bint (Post 27349065)
A savoury spread made from yeast extract - a waste product of the brewing industry - Marmite has also entered the English language as a word to describe something which attracts extremes of opinion but rarely anything in between.
Either you loath it or you love it [removed quote of now-redacted material]
I'm deffo in the ^ camp ( for Marmite ! )

[Removed response to now-redacted material]

As for marmite. I'll pass. I do however love Miracle whip

CPRich Oct 15, 2016 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Clint Bint (Post 27349065)
Marmite has also entered the English language as a word to describe something which attracts extremes of opinion but rarely anything in between.

It has? I've never heard it. Is this outside the US?

Mary2e Oct 15, 2016 8:04 am

[redacted no longer necessary remark]

FWIW - my husband tried it in Waikiki and couldn't get back to our room fast enough to brush his teeth to get the taste out of his mouth.

Doc Savage Oct 15, 2016 8:06 am

Marmite always reminds me of bacterial culture medium. I've tried it; I'm glad it's an entirely optional condiment.

Clint Bint Oct 15, 2016 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 27349373)
Marmite always reminds me of bacterial culture medium. I've tried it; I'm glad it's an entirely optional condiment.

I was at a very good B&B in Cornwall over the summer and at the sumptuous breakfast buffet ( kippers as well although I don't want to be accused of masking a political post by talking about fish ) there was a selection of three such savoury spreads on offer.
I'll rank them in order of my preference.

1. Marmite
2. Vegemite
3. Bovril

Fans of Marmite have great brand loyalty.I know for a fact Elton John possesses one of these.

http://gifts-of-distinction.co.uk/st...-lid-250g-p451

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 27349339)
It has? I've never heard it. Is this outside the US?

Yes.It's why I used the term English language. :D

I might add the My Flyertalk logo at the top of this page bears an uncanny resemblance to a jar of Marmite.

USA_flyer Oct 15, 2016 9:32 am

Love marmite. [Removed off-topic OMNI/PR political comment]

USA_flyer Oct 15, 2016 10:40 am

[removed quote of now-deleted political material]

I don't get the hate for marmite. It's delicious thinly spread on toast. I don't think there is any other way to eat it.

Cassie55 Oct 15, 2016 10:42 am

I don't particularly like marmite but bizarrely love twiglets.

In fact, marmite being in the news over the last few days has resulted in me buying several bags of twiglets this week. :cool:

enviroian Oct 15, 2016 10:43 am

My mom has a jar firmly sitting in her larder--she loves it.

Awful and disgusting.

Another British contribution to culinary excellence :D

Doc Savage Oct 15, 2016 11:46 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer (Post 27349834)
I don't get the hate for marmite. It's delicious thinly spread on toast. I don't think there is any other way to eat it.

I don't hate it.

I've tried it, and I just don't like it.

It's reputedly an acquired taste. Too many other foods out there that I love for me to repeatedly try to eat something I don't like.

;)

WorldLux Oct 15, 2016 12:52 pm

Marmite? Hell nay!

Same goes for other stuff (e.g. HP sauce, Bovril, ...), that some Brits seem to love.

Bakpapier Oct 15, 2016 12:54 pm

I like marmite. I had a jar once. But I did not eat it very often at all as I find other things more delicious.

trooper Oct 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Vegemite is far better.......;)

Annalisa12 Oct 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Marmite. No way in.heck. vegiemite.. love it every day