Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does anyone like beetroot on their sandwiches?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone like beetroot on their sandwiches?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:07 am

Devon and Spam are quite different products....

Spam (Spiced Ham is where the name came from) tastes significantly different to Devon... Devon has a much smoother texture too...

Devon is also commonly thinly sliced... and is a "processed meat" product...

I love it......but I think Bismarks attributed comment about sausages applies...

"The less people know of how laws and sausages are made the better they will sleep at night"

P.S. Beetroot is obligatory on a burger! Especially when wearing a white shirt. Any Aussie can tell you why...lol
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
OK, just finishing a burger with "the Lot" at Greco's in Katoomba, and the lot included thinly sliced beetroot. I have admit I kind of like it, a bit like having sweet relish on a burger.

Pretty massive sandwich, too.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:08 pm

Goodonyer mate!!!! ^^

Bonza!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Yer bloody right mate - beetroot is a must on a sanga - sometimes a sanga can be just beetroot !!!

It aint a burger or a salad sanga without some beetroot
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
OK, just finishing a burger with "the Lot" at Greco's in Katoomba, and the lot included thinly sliced beetroot. I have admit I kind of like it, a bit like having sweet relish on a burger.

Egg too?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:27 am

Well he said The Lot!!!

Ripped off if no egg!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:40 am
Suspended

Yep, a true cholesterol bomb of a sandwich it was. Beef, cheese, egg....

But very tasty.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:53 am

Now Im hungry.....

Did you manage to drop any on your shirt? Thats usually part of the experience.....
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich

my home town!

there used to be a fish and chip place a bit further down the road, almost at Waratah St that had the best hamburgers on the planet when I was growing up there. Great pineapple fritters too, until one tragic day they covered mine in salt instead of sugar. Ruined that particular delicacy for me forever.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:09 am
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
my home town!

there used to be a fish and chip place a bit further down the road, almost at Waratah St that had the best hamburgers on the planet when I was growing up there. Great pineapple fritters too, until one tragic day they covered mine in salt instead of sugar. Ruined that particular delicacy for me forever.
I'm having a nice steak at the Savoy right now. Worked up an appetite hiking. Truly a beautiful place.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:33 am

I'm having a nice steak at the Savoy right now. Worked up an appetite hiking. Truly a beautiful place.
hey, just across the road Is the Carrington. If you're not staying there at least head into their cocktail bar - it's breathtaking. Go into the main entrance (the white building up the driveway) turn left and prepare to gasp in awe. Take a walk around and enjoy, the staff won't mind. And visit the Paragon a few doors down the street. Have a coffee. And ask them to point you to the ballroom. Katoomba is a visit to the finest that Oz had to offer in 1900, and we managed to preserve it. Enjoy my beautiful town

I'm eating Mexican at Darlinghurst just now and raising a glass of fine Aussie Chardonnay in honour of your visit to Katoomba.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trooper
Now Im hungry.....

Did you manage to drop any on your shirt? Thats usually part of the experience.....
That would be known in my neck of the woods as a Banjo Burger.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:30 am
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
hey, just across the road Is the Carrington. If you're not staying there at least head into their cocktail bar - it's breathtaking. Go into the main entrance (the white building up the driveway) turn left and prepare to gasp in awe. Take a walk around and enjoy, the staff won't mind. And visit the Paragon a few doors down the street. Have a coffee. And ask them to point you to the ballroom. Katoomba is a visit to the finest that Oz had to offer in 1900, and we managed to preserve it. Enjoy my beautiful town

I'm eating Mexican at Darlinghurst just now and raising a glass of fine Aussie Chardonnay in honour of your visit to Katoomba.
Pretty snazzy! Thanks for sending me up.

I checked out the Paragon at lunch time. Very interesting little place, too.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:05 am

Pretty snazzy! Thanks for sending me up.

I checked out the Paragon at lunch time. Very interesting little place, too.
nice pic.

Katoomba is a funny old place, glad you liked the Carrington - I only recommend it to people with a bit of style, it's a hidden gem
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Beets, pickled or boiled, go well together with many other foods.

Aussies know that minced meat and beets are a perfect pairing, as do Swedes who mix beets, the mince, cream, capers and mustard for a traditional comfort food dish.

Swedes and other Northern & Jewish cooks also know a thing or two how to cure herring with beets. Glorious combo...

Not even to mention the mediterranean/byzantine versions. Nectar of the Gods!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.