Menus at Diners.... how can 1 kitchen make that many food items

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry

I am born and raised in NJ....the "Home of the Diner"..... but still to this day it amazes me when I walk in a diner and look at the menu the amount of food items they can offer at any given time...

From pancakes, to omlettes, to Bagels and Lox, to burgers of all sorts, to gyros, to veal parm platter, to matzo brei, to buffalo chicken wrap, to rib eye steak, to New England clam chowder, to Chicken Marasala, to.......

You get my point.... the list goes on and on and on.....

How does one kitchen do this??
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I do Love Jersey!!

Originally Posted by elg26
The answer is: Poorly
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:27 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

Sysco
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am born and raised in NJ....the "Home of the Diner"..... but still to this day it amazes me when I walk in a diner and look at the menu the amount of food items they can offer at any given time...

From pancakes, to omlettes, to Bagels and Lox, to burgers of all sorts, to gyros, to veal parm platter, to matzo brei, to buffalo chicken wrap, to rib eye steak, to New England clam chowder, to Chicken Marasala, to.......

You get my point.... the list goes on and on and on.....

There are a number of components:

1. Some restaurants will rely very heavily on their freezers and pre-prepped items. You can buy reasonable (not good!) quality soups, chowders, sauces and all you have to do is reheat. Other restaurants may make their own products and freeze, or refrigerate.

2. Some restaurants may have extensive "all day" dining, but their experience will tell them the 10am on a Sunday crowd will be ordering the pancakes, waffles and omelets, not the Chicken Tikka Massala. Likewise, the lunch crowd on a Tuesday will be sandwich and salad heavy, far fewer orders of waffles and whipped cream. You pull items out of the freezer, prep fresh items based on past experiences and the vast majority of the time that will work fine. Other times they might be 'out' of an item (that really is just not going to be ready in a time frame you think acceptable).

3. Simple to produce dishes that take minimum time - pancakes, omelets, chicken wraps, bagels, steaks, French fries, stir fries, nachos, wings - in short anything that goes on a grill top, fry pan, under the broiler or in the deep fat fryer is generally easy and quick. A restaurant will have boiling water ready, so pasta / rice can be cooked quickly to order.

4. Cross use of ingredients - it may *look* like there are a million and one items on the menu, but chances are there are relatively few unique sides (lots of items with fries or salad for example). The bacon and sausage used for the all day breakfast platter is the same as goes with the pancakes, the waffles, the bacon is also used on the grilled cheese sandwich, the sausage is used on a breakfast bagel sandwich.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Originally Posted by emma69
There are a number of components:

1. Some restaurants will rely very heavily on their freezers and pre-prepped items. You can buy reasonable (not good!) quality soups, chowders, sauces and all you have to do is reheat. Other restaurants may make their own products and freeze, or refrigerate.
You mean very poor quality foods. The top quality eating establishments always have smaller sized menus and serve fresh. Places with large menus should always trigger red flags.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pre-prepped doesn't necessarily mean poor quality. In the UK, a very very small percentage of restaurants serving a 'full English breakfast' will make their own sausages, or their own baked beans for example. You can purchase excellent pork and leek sausages from mass catering companies, that have won blind taste tests.

The soups we used to buy in at one place where I worked were fresh, never frozen, but vacuum sealed so could be kept in the fridge on hand - they were made at a small farm shop, from organic vegetables, no artificial ingredients, and tasted pretty good. Were they as good as if we had made them fresh on site that morning, probably not, but they were pretty decent.

You'd also be very surprised, I would wager, by some of the 'higher' end restaurants, what they actually buy in pre-prepped, simply to save on staff labor costs. One of the largest catering suppliers does what I would lovingly call 'boil in the bag' but what chefs prefer to call 'sous vide' dishes that you literally shove in hot water, then snip the corner off. Lamb confit, a venison and red wine stew, chicken chausseur, all aimed at higher tier restaurants (just take a look at the truck name that delivers their food, and then look at what that company offers in terms of pre-prepped food, it is enlightening!)
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by bigshooter
Sysco
Crap. You beat me to it.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emma69

You'd also be very surprised, I would wager, by some of the 'higher' end restaurants, what they actually buy in pre-prepped, simply to save on staff labor costs. One of the largest catering suppliers does what I would lovingly call 'boil in the bag' but what chefs prefer to call 'sous vide' dishes that you literally shove in hot water, then snip the corner off. Lamb confit, a venison and red wine stew, chicken chausseur, all aimed at higher tier restaurants (just take a look at the truck name that delivers their food, and then look at what that company offers in terms of pre-prepped food, it is enlightening!)
The short sweary TV chef Gordon Ramsay has pre-cooked meals delivered to his London restaurants from a central location.
In unbranded vans naturally.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 13, 2015 at 9:33 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:45 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SimonB77
You mean very poor quality foods. The top quality eating establishments always have smaller sized menus and serve fresh. Places with large menus should always trigger red flags.
Then Y class is a real treat~
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Ever been to the Cheesecake Factory? That's an impressive menu in terms of volume and the food is really good.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by stimpy
Ever been to the Cheesecake Factory? That's an impressive menu in terms of volume and the food is really good.
That is true....large menu and food is good indeed. However their kitchen is quite large...you go to a typical NJ diner and the kitchen is 1/3 of the size in many cases....
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: Independent
That is probably not a proper diner. Most true diners have limited menus - this comes from not really having a kitchen. The original diners simply had a grill at the counter. Only later did they add full kitchens. Btw, Worcester MA is the home of the diner. They made most of them.

You will find however that most of those menu items come from mixing and matching basics. You have a few select proteins, whioch you dress up with various sauces. Eggs can be cooked multiple ways. And Sandwiches come from what essentially amounts to a salad bar.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is true....large menu and food is good indeed. However their kitchen is quite large...you go to a typical NJ diner and the kitchen is 1/3 of the size in many cases....
Cheesecake factory kitchens are enormous, and they have prep chefs (who do nothing but chop veggies, pre-package meat into portions, etc. and then cooks who take all the pre prepped parts and actually put the dish together (grill the meat, etc.) (which I really like as they don't say no to restaurant modifications )

The do use a lot of the same ingredients, crossover, so you see, for example, avocados, chicken breast, vinaigrette used in multiple dishes (starters and mains) which reduces the actual number of ingredients needed. They also have a pretty predictable forecasting model, knowing what customers will order on a given day.

However... every single one of their cheesecakes is made at a factory, and shipped in frozen!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by bigshooter
Sysco
...and a microwave.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: Independent
A good diner usually makes their food fresh. Then again, good diners focus on breakfast and lunch, and not dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.