Search

Fast Food Restaurants Based in a Country Other Than Your Own

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by teddybear99
In the Philippines:

I have had Biggs, a Bicol based chain, that's famous for their Laing and Bangus. I prefer their Biggs Deal that comes with Spaghetti, Beef Stick, and a piece of fried chicken.

There is also Andok's known for their Lechon Manok or Rotisserie Chicken. I love how the meat just falls off the bones besides the flavor.

I hope this is what you meant in the title of this thread. If you mean food here in South Florida where the original is from a foreign country, I have found the regulations of adding the hormones to the food we eat has changed the way food tastes here besides making it less (not more) healthy.
Originally Posted by flipstah
Andok's would be showing Nando's how to cook a chicken. I don't think the open-charcoal method would be efficient in foreign markets, as it'll cost a lot to maintain one up-to-code.
I still have to taste/eat a good crispy pata outside of SE Asia. North American pigs is just too fatty between the skin and the flesh and the flesh is too soft and fall apart instead of something you can sink your jaw into!

I discover Andok during my first consulting gig in Makati back in 2002. They were almost next door to the service apartment I was at. I walk out the front door of the apartment building and followed my nose.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:22 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ah, there's been a whole social media meme over the phrase 'cheeky Nandos'. Not helped by explanations like this:

Old May 28, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by tentseller
I still have to taste/eat a good crispy pata outside of SE Asia. North American pigs is just too fatty between the skin and the flesh and the flesh is too soft and fall apart instead of something you can sink your jaw into!

I discover Andok during my first consulting gig in Makati back in 2002. They were almost next door to the service apartment I was at. I walk out the front door of the apartment building and followed my nose.
Crispy pata in North America is pure fat. Not good.

It's totally different in the Philippines.

I miss it. My arteries do not.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by stut
Ah, there's been a whole social media meme over the phrase 'cheeky Nandos'. Not helped by explanations like this:

It started being what I assume was a largely fake buzzfeed meme, but I heard the line "Let's gun a cheeky Nandos for some banter MacBanter" last week when out in Covent Garden in London.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I am slightly addicted to those noodle stands on German railway stations
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
South Florida examples

Here in South Florida, we have "Aroma Espresso Bar" which was founded in Israel with many locations throughout Miami-Dade County. It is similar to Starbucks as it serves many types of coffees and related pastries that tend to be Kosher.

http://www.aroma.us/locations

Also we have Giraffa's from Brazil that serves steaks and burgers.

http://giraffas.com/
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Here in South Florida, we have "Aroma Espresso Bar" which was founded in Israel with many locations throughout Miami-Dade County. It is similar to Starbucks as it serves many types of coffees and related pastries that tend to be Kosher.

http://www.aroma.us/locations

Also we have Giraffa's from Brazil that serves steaks and burgers.

http://giraffas.com/
There are also Aroma Espresso Bars in NYC. I've been to the one near City Hall. The one downer is that the little chocolates they give you are milk chocolate. Would've been a nice touch to do "espresso" chocolates with coffee beans in them. The lunch offerings (salads, sandwiches) aren't bad.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:38 am

KFC is definitely not from Singapore. But here, they have this $2 breakfast scone plus coffee which I have tried.

The scone comes with a kaya paste, squeezed from a packet like ketchup. I found that amusing.

Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Hesburger from Finland... tried it 13 years ago when I was traveling to Estonia regularly
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Here in DC, I have Nando's occasionally, and there's a Pret-a-Manger downstairs from the office. Vapiano also has at least a couple of outlets (also one in Mexico City), but I've never been. Mexico City has all the usual US fast foods. There are Sushi Itto outlets everywhere too - I'm not sure if it's a Mexican company or not though.

I'd really like to have a Frankie's of Bombay cart downstairs - those things are delicious.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by GatoAndaluz
Here in DC, I have Nando's occasionally, and there's a Pret-a-Manger downstairs from the office. Vapiano also has at least a couple of outlets (also one in Mexico City), but I've never been. Mexico City has all the usual US fast foods. There are Sushi Itto outlets everywhere too - I'm not sure if it's a Mexican company or not though.

I'd really like to have a Frankie's of Bombay cart downstairs - those things are delicious.
Is Nando's in the U.S. pretty much the same (because Pret isn't, though I still like it here)? I've enjoyed it in London and noticed one up the street from me in Chicago recently. I only see it when I drive by and then immediately forget about it.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I used to love Yoshinoya - there was one by my office in Cupertino.
Funny, I know exactly which restaurant you're talking about because I live in the area and tried it years ago-- and disliked it. The food was bland and used seemingly low quality meat. Dunno if that was just years ago, or if I was there on a bad day. Either way I've avoided sampling Yoshinoya in Tokyo as a result. I've eaten at Mos Burger a few times when I've wanted some of the tastes of home without feeling as crass as wanting to set foot in a McDonald's in Japan. Lotteria serves the same purpose in Korea. Though in Korea I have tried Pizza Hut and Papa John's because I'm a pizzacurious.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by stut

The archbishop of banterbury gave me a good chuckle. Never heard that.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Is Nando's in the U.S. pretty much the same (because Pret isn't, though I still like it here)? I've enjoyed it in London and noticed one up the street from me in Chicago recently. I only see it when I drive by and then immediately forget about it.
I don't have much basis for comparison - the only Nando's I've ever had outside the US was in Dubai.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Yoshinoya - it's a Japanese beef bowl fast food restaurant.

You see them in Southern California as well.

I love them, quick and seems less harmful to your health than a burger and fries.
I tried the original US location in Denver in 1975. I thought the food was okay and it was exceptionally inexpensive. The atmosphere left a lot to be desired with bare counters and glaring fluorescent lighting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.