Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annoying stickers on fruit, vegetabales

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I remember hosting a flyertalk event and I asked someone to pick up mint for mojitos ... and they brought me parsley. So its not just the cashiers

I can tell a cucumber from a zucchini, but I admittedly can't always tell the difference between yellow onions vs sweet onions vs the organic variety of either. And there are some apple varieties that are harder to distinguish between.

And if I'm going to pay a premium for one of those, I don't want to end up with something else.
Yeah, there's good reason to label them in some fashion. Even if there are no dirty tricks going on customers have been known to put things back in the wrong place. I've handed many a misplaced item to a passing clerk when I came across them.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't like the stickers either, but what I really don't understand at all is when each individual apple (or orange, or avocado, etc.) in a pre-packaged bag of such fruit has its own sticker.

Oh well, at least the grapes are sticker free. For now.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:23 pm

------

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I only bag the produce that really needs it ... like loose green beans or mushrooms.
Any produce that the cashier will be handling is produce that really needs it.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:53 pm

Farmers market is no alternative, I've worked in a fruit packing company in AUS and they labeled each fruit at least once, if the sticker machine was not calibrated, you had more on them. Class 1 went to supermarkets in high income areas, class 2 to low income areas and farmer markets
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by corky
Use a lighter glue and leave a large enough portion unglued so there is something to hold on to to pull it off.
Why are you telling us this great suggestion.

dh
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by ROCAT
In Western New York it is rare to see someone not self bag there produce, every grocery store in the area in addition to Wegmans has done it this way for as long as I can remember.
I prefer to bag & tag produce myself -- I realize the store is getting me to do the work instead of an employee, but this way I can hold on to the more delicate stuff at checkout and have the cashier just scan the tag with a hand-held scanner instead of having to put it down on the conveyor belt. One of my pet peeves in grocery stores is to spend time selecting nice produce (especially stuff that bruises easily like apples or avocados), only to have the cashier bounce it down the belt.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Gregory Nelson
FWIW, at least in the US, those labels are required by law to be edible.
not only is the label edible, made of food grade material (space-age polymers ?), but the adhesive is edible as well.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:53 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Any produce that the cashier will be handling is produce that really needs it.
why is the cashier so different than any other person who handled it before you bought it? It needs to get washed, regardless.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:01 am

Recently I read somewhere that they were going to do away with these horrible stickers. And start using these laser type tattoo markings instead. I can't wait for this to happen. I loathe the stickers.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sxytxn
Recently I read somewhere that they were going to do away with these horrible stickers. And start using these laser type tattoo markings instead. I can't wait for this to happen. I loathe the stickers.
Anything to shift the average American consumer even further from eating items that grow naturally.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
They need to modify the genes of all plants so that their fruit naturally grows a number that appears on its skin.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by BamaVol
They need to modify the genes of all plants so that their fruit naturally grows a number that appears on its skin.
UUmm... I'd vote against this idea.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
UUmm... I'd vote against this idea.
Under my plan, you'd be able to buy fruit with stickers but it would cost more.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Under my plan, you'd be able to buy fruit with stickers but it would cost more.
Under my plan genetically modified fruit would be so labeled so that consumers could make an informed choice. Pricing would be what the market would bear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.