Search

Annoying stickers on fruit, vegetabales

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Annoying stickers on fruit, vegetabales

These little labels they attach on every apple, tomato, onion, etc drives me nuts. Why do they have to individually label each? I cut my finger half off last night cutting one off a tomato.

How annoying.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ease of checkout is more important than ease of eating.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:13 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I hate that you usually can't remove the sticker from the skin of a pear without tearing the skin, bruising the pear, and exposing the flesh to oxygen which makes it go bad.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Farmer's markets? If this first world problem is so vexing, I'd think you would be above shopping at actual grocery stores anyway.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
There should be

A 'pet peeves' thread that all these complaints can go to. Mine is that there isn't one. Oh yeah, and people that try to get in the elevator before I get out.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:54 pm

Maybe instead they should spray a non- (or at least not very) toxic bar code onto each piece of fruit. They can also print the name of the fruit on each piece, but product labeling laws will require that they do so in multiple languages and at a minimum font size.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
These little labels they attach on every apple, tomato, onion, etc drives me nuts. Why do they have to individually label each? I cut my finger half off last night cutting one off a tomato.

How annoying.

Are you sure you weren't busy with your date?????
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
It's annoying, but not more so than the fact that the average cashier doesn't know a cucumber from a zucchini or a potato from a jicama. At least the stickers keep the line moving instead of the constant call for a price check.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:28 pm

It's important to label the country of origin for foodstuffs. they conveniently use that as a bar code for checking out as well.
http://www.pma.com/resources/issues-...rigin-labeling
the U.S. country of origin labeling law requires retailers to notify their customers of the country of origin of covered commodities. Many fruit and vegetable suppliers already provide origin information on their products via a number of ways (Price Look Up stickers, labels, bands, twist ties, etc.), though there are some produce items (i.e. loose green beans) where a sign on the display would be needed to convey the origin declaration due to the item being unable to carry a sticker or other labeling mechanism.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the sticker is necessary, do they have to attach it with crazy glue? I am tired of gouging my apple, tomato or pear to remove them. Or gouging myself as Ian did.
Use a lighter glue and leave a large enough portion unglued so there is something to hold on to to pull it off.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
FWIW, at least in the US, those labels are required by law to be edible. Probably don't taste all that great, but beats slicing your finger off.

Handy tip: Use Scotch tape to remove the labels. Cover label with tape, then pull the whole assembly off.

OT: I agree - Bozos that rush into the elevator while you're trying to exit are far more annoying than these labels.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
I hate that you usually can't remove the sticker from the skin of a pear without tearing the skin, bruising the pear, and exposing the flesh to oxygen which makes it go bad.
How early are you pulling these stickers off? I usually pull them off when I'm about to eat it...my pears don't go bad that fast
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:14 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by BamaVol
It's annoying, but not more so than the fact that the average cashier doesn't know a cucumber from a zucchini or a potato from a jicama. At least the stickers keep the line moving instead of the constant call for a price check.
I remember hosting a flyertalk event and I asked someone to pick up mint for mojitos ... and they brought me parsley. So its not just the cashiers

I can tell a cucumber from a zucchini, but I admittedly can't always tell the difference between yellow onions vs sweet onions vs the organic variety of either. And there are some apple varieties that are harder to distinguish between.

And if I'm going to pay a premium for one of those, I don't want to end up with something else.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:29 pm

I was once asked by a fellow shopper to point out the fennel to him because his wife would kill him if he bought the wrong thing. Fortunately for him, I actually did know what fennel was.

I like Wegman's system of having the shopper weigh and label their own produce. They have little signs near each display of food that contain a four or five digit number. You put the food on the scale, type in the number, press print and slap the label on the bag. The clerks almost always thank me for doing that, so I guess there are some customers who don't use the system. Can't understand why, though. It's easy and efficient. And no icky sticky labels on the fruit!

Last edited by jcwoman; Apr 22, 2014 at 1:37 pm
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:44 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by jcwoman
I was once asked by a fellow shopper to point out the fennel to him because his wife would kill him if he bought the wrong thing. Fortunately for him, I actually did know what fennel was.

I like Wegman's system of having the shopper weigh and label their own produce. They have little signs near each display of food that contain a four or five digit number. You put the food on the scale, type in the number, press print and slap the label on the bag. The clerks almost always thank me for doing that, so I guess there are some customers who don't use the system. Can't understand why, though. It's easy and efficient. And no icky sticky labels on the fruit!
I only bag the produce that really needs it ... like loose green beans or mushrooms.

And the Wegmans method wouldn't stop people from labeling organic produce with the cheaper non organic code ... or stop people/employees from mistakenly mixing fuji apples in with the gala apples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.