Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dining runs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA
Ha! Here's a sign I haven't been to an airport in a while... I was wondering (and had to google) since when is there a good Mexican restaurant in Santiago?

Great Mexican in Salt Lake City, now that makes sense. :: right ::

Don't know as much about chubs as Sweet Willie, but apparently there's a shortage this year. There's a discussion about this on the LTH Forum, but it's down for the weekend for maintenance/upgrading.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
When I was 16 and had my first car and license my friend Dion and I decided to drive to Pennsylvania to go to the King of Prussia Mall. Once we were there he said "hey I know this place called Jim's Steaks in Philly, want to go get a cheesesteak?". Now this was before GPS and Smart Phones so we, without any forethought, got on I-76 until I saw a sign that said "I-676: Central Phila" and I said "yeah, that looks right". We then drove up Market Street asking police officers until one gave us directions. Then after we were done, I followed my compass east until I found an interstate.

These days I'm way too big a planner to do something like that without lots of directions and my phone as a backup.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I saw this while searching for Michelin-starred restaurants in Copenhagen.

I have two stories:

I was watching Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives and saw a Portland episode about Pok-Pok, which is Thai cuisine. I was so convinced that I called up my parents right after seeing the episode,

"Hey. We have a long weekend. What are you doing?"

"Nothing. Why?"

"Pack your bags. We're driving to Portland."

"Why?"

"Thai food"

And off we went the next day. It was the best time of my life.

Another one is right now booking restaurants for my Euro trip. I got lucky with a cheap flight to Copenhagen and I remember watching Anthony Bourdain's CNN show about Copenhagen,

"One day I hope to go"

I'm still hoping.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
A friend told me about the Harris Ranch Restaurant and Inn by Coalinga, CA. I knew about and had purchased Harris Ranch beef in supermarkets before. I called up a few friends and we did the 4 hour drive from Orange County up Interstate 5 to have a steak. After dinner, we headed right back home.

It was very good steak, and priced below what the fancy steakhouses like Ruth Chris or Morton's would charge.
Old May 7, 2015, 12:18 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by stevechin
A friend told me about the Harris Ranch Restaurant and Inn by Coalinga, CA. I knew about and had purchased Harris Ranch beef in supermarkets before. I called up a few friends and we did the 4 hour drive from Orange County up Interstate 5 to have a steak. After dinner, we headed right back home.

It was very good steak, and priced below what the fancy steakhouses like Ruth Chris or Morton's would charge.
Agreed. Second best steak I've had in a restaurant in the US.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Oh I am glad this thread got bumped. Here are a few of my adventures from the last several months...
  • Lunch at Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY (home of the Buffalo wing)
  • Quick turn to PWM to get fresh lobsters (they sell them live at the airport!)
  • Cabot cheddar and Ben & Jerry's ice cream in Vermont
  • Po-boys in New Orleans at Domilise's

This Saturday, I'm planning on sneaking down to FLL to get a key lime pie to surprise my mother with on Sunday (EDIT: well, I was planning to, but my father said not to bother )

I also need to get Crystal Hot Sauce... supposedly I can get it in ROC, which is much closer than MSY.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; May 7, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Old May 8, 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by braslvr
Agreed. Second best steak I've had in a restaurant in the US.
What's the first one? Might head there.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Oh I am glad this thread got bumped. Here are a few of my adventures from the last several months...
  • Lunch at Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY (home of the Buffalo wing)
  • Quick turn to PWM to get fresh lobsters (they sell them live at the airport!)
  • Cabot cheddar and Ben & Jerry's ice cream in Vermont
  • Po-boys in New Orleans at Domilise's

This Saturday, I'm planning on sneaking down to FLL to get a key lime pie to surprise my mother with on Sunday (EDIT: well, I was planning to, but my father said not to bother )

I also need to get Crystal Hot Sauce... supposedly I can get it in ROC, which is much closer than MSY.

-J.
I have never seen Crystal Hot Sauce in Rochester. Where did you hear that it is carried? I can try to check it out for you
Old May 8, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by flipstah
What's the first one? Might head there.
You would not be disappointed IF you prefer your meat cooked over burning wood/charcoal as I do. If you like it cooked for a few seconds in a blast furnace, don't go.

http://www.menuclub.com/californiare...house-1769.php
Old May 8, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Larrude
I have never seen Crystal Hot Sauce in Rochester. Where did you hear that it is carried? I can try to check it out for you
I was told Wegmans in Pittsford has it. I used to go to U of R and still know many people there (as well as a couple of FTers in the area), so I could use the excuse to head up that way.

-J.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:47 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Aside from an In-&-Out run via LAX (yes, I flew transcon and caught the Parking Spot shuttle, had a burger, and flew home the same day), our Croatia vacation was inspired and built around Konoba Batelina, which we'd seen on a Tony Bourdain episode... Basically a dining run. Don't get me started on last fall in Spain...
Old May 11, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I was already going to be in NYC for work, but on a whim I tried to get a reservation at Per Se for the day after my work obligations. Miraculously, I got it on the first try, so we booked my husband a ticket and got ourselves a hotel. We managed to do some other things while we were there, but dinner at Per Se (our first ever Michelin experience) was the only reason we went.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by flipstah
I saw this while searching for Michelin-starred restaurants in Copenhagen.

Another one is right now booking restaurants for my Euro trip. I got lucky with a cheap flight to Copenhagen and I remember watching Anthony Bourdain's CNN show about Copenhagen,

"One day I hope to go"

I'm still hoping.

Let me know if you need tips for Copenhagen. I'm Danish and happy to provide recommendations for michelin (have tried them all), bistro level or lower priced options.

In any case, happy travels.
Old May 13, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by js200
Let me know if you need tips for Copenhagen. I'm Danish and happy to provide recommendations for michelin (have tried them all), bistro level or lower priced options.

In any case, happy travels.
PM'd you. Taking you up on that offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.