Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sodastream - who has one?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Yes, but I only use it to make enough for the meal I'm cooking.
Cool. I've never attempted in the micro.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Basic recipe is about 4 mins on high and 12-13 on medium for 1cup rice and 1 cup water. BUT you will have to test the times to get it right with your micro. My old one was 5 on high and 15 on med. I tried it in the new one and got burned, dry rice
Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by Jeeves
I was surprised to hear how many use it for seltzer/sparkling water. Never even thought about that.

I'm not much of a soda drinker and sparkling water isn't my thing. So I'm probably not in the market.
I am not much of a soda drinker either so when I want some once in a while the sodastream is handy. I also use mine for sparkling water. I have an assortment of glass bottles to mix flavors in so there is no waste.

I also make my own yogurt
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I love Diet Coke. So, when they were demonstrating it at Bloomingdale's I sampled the Diet Soda. It was nasty and that's the last time I ever thought of it.
That would be my fear, too. I just can't imagine that a "home-brew" machine could produce results that would meet with my expectations.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
There are a lot of little habits that we'd all be better off if no one engaged in. Soda only affects the drinker.
I agree, yet we've had big debate over the idea of limiting the quantity of soda one can buy at a restaurant. If soda only affects the drinker, then why should anyone else care? But that's a discussion for another thread, I suppose.

Back on topic, I agree with Mary2e, too. I don't drink a ton of soda and don't think the Soda Stream would see enough use in my house. I'm also not a fan of "uni-taskers".
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Basic recipe is about 4 mins on high and 12-13 on medium for 1cup rice and 1 cup water. BUT you will have to test the times to get it right with your micro. My old one was 5 on high and 15 on med. I tried it in the new one and got burned, dry rice
I'm a huge fan of '5 minute' rice - you pour on the same amount of boiling water as rice (so 1 cup : 1 cup) salt if you like, cover and 5 minutes later, voila! I used to avoid cooking 'normal' rice because it took ages (20+ minutes) and would have 5 minute pasta or gnocci instead! Now with the 5 minute one I have it much more often, usually with a dash of lime juice and cilantro in if I am having Mexican, or Indian flavoured dishes with it.

My exception is risotto, which is 'comfort cooking' to me, and I will happily stand and stir for the 30 minutes a good risotto takes!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by dchristiva
That would be my fear, too. I just can't imagine that a "home-brew" machine could produce results that would meet with my expectations.
I think at some point coke or pepsi or one of them will force the cards on all the other companies by releasing their syrup.

If I could get real diet coke at home I would probably get one (though would have to do the math to see if it's worth it or not).

If I have to drink generic diet cola, that's going to be a no.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma69
I used to avoid cooking 'normal' rice because it took ages (20+ minutes)
Same here until I got a cooker. Now I put it on when I start dinner and its ready (and stays warm/fresh for hours after if needed)

Originally Posted by emma69
gnocci
I like you more and more. Gnocci is one of my favorites....in a meat or a vodka sauce...mmmmm

I haven't mastered making it from scratch yet.....yet.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annerj

I like you more and more. Gnocci is one of my favorites....in a meat or a vodka sauce...mmmmm

I haven't mastered making it from scratch yet.....yet.

My favourite way is with brown butter and sage - mmm! I made it last night with garlic, tomatoes and romano cheese which was pretty yummy too!

It is very easy to make from scratch - if you can boil potatoes you can make it - you just mash the potatoes up, add some egg, season, and add flour as needed (not too much as they will become heavy) to make it a texture you can form into long sausages, which you then cut with a knife, and press with the back of the fork to make the indentations!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I love dr. pepper/mr pibb but don't keep any in the house (If I'm going to waste the calories I want it from the fountain). Its my understanding that sodastream tastes like it came from the fountain? That would be very dangerous for my waste line!
I only sampled the diet version of "Doctor Pete" syrup and it was VILE.

I love Diet Coke. So, when they were demonstrating it at Bloomingdale's I sampled the Diet Soda. It was nasty and that's the last time I ever thought of it.
Originally Posted by cordelli
If I could get real diet coke at home I would probably get one (though would have to do the math to see if it's worth it or not).
I bought both the Diet Coke and Coke Zero knockoff syrups; I'll let you know if either are drinkable.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I bought the Costco version because I was getting tired of lugging the 2 liter bottles of Seltzer up the stairs several times a week, not to mention all the bottles to recycle. I drink at least a liter of seltzer a night. I like the fact that I can control how bubbly I make it. Sometimes I feel like more bubbles than others. The best thing to me is that I can fill the bottle from my in-the-door water from the refrigerator and I have chilled seltzer anytime day or night. I find that the bottles that came with the kit keep it well carbonated, more so that a soda bottle opened and closed for later use.

The only thing I didn't know was where to get the thing refilled! Thanks so much to all those answered that question for me. ^

And if anyone want the syrups that came with it, you are welcome to them if our paths cross. I haven't used any of them and don't intend to.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I only sampled the diet version of "Doctor Pete" syrup and it was VILE.

I bought both the Diet Coke and Coke Zero knockoff syrups; I'll let you know if either are drinkable.
Do they have name brand stuff? Knock offs anywhere (soda wise) suck IME.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Do they have name brand stuff? Knock offs anywhere (soda wise) suck IME.
The only thing I've seen that's name brand is County Time and Crystal Lite.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Costco will be offering the SodaStream Dynamo XL for $80 over Black Friday weekend.

I'm probably going to buy it today and waltz in sometime that weekend to get a price adjustment.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Bought it on Saturday morning, and we have made about 8 litres of carbonated water. Mrs. Swede loves it. The syrups are decent; although the regular orange was too sweet for me. My buddy tried the Diet Dr. Pete's, and he said it was very good.

I'm patiently waiting for the Stevia-sweetened syrups to be on the market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.