Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Grabbing Java on the road! Starbucks or other?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grabbing Java on the road! Starbucks or other?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Standard SBUX operation procedure. It is in the Op/manual world wide.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:38 am

Hi gfunkdave -

I understand and appreciate what Starbucks is attempting to do here. The first name policy is trying to bring the coffee experience to a closer, friendly personal level, which is good. The thinking is that if Bob, Heinz, or Solange is called by their first name, they will become part of the Starbuck " extended family, " and want to return again. Perhaps even buy a bag of coffee, or even company stock.

Similar thinking with dining at a fine restaurant and having the Maitre’D state " Oh, Mr. GfunkDave, so nice to see you again. Your usual table then ? " Yes.

Unfortunately, cultural differences in Europe make the Starbucks request for a first name a somewhat awkward experience for many of us, even embarrassing. It isn't done in Milano, Berlin, Paris, or Zürich, except of course at Starbucks. We use the receipt to connect to the right coffee "drink" ordered, not the first, or last name.

I share exbayern's thoughts regarding the apparent need at Starbucks for volume. Much too loud from the staff. My main observation is that the Starbucks Barista will shout the first name of the owner of the 4 gallon milk and coffee drink he/she just finished for pick-up, while looking over the patrons ( no friendly direct eye contact ), even though they are standing less than an arm's distance away from them.

" Eddie ? Are you EDDIE ? ( Answer: No ) EDDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAGH !!!! "

This last refrain, now in excess of 85 dbA, is amusing to some, but unnecessary to most.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer
I never want to give my real name. For some reason I don't feel it is important to the transaction also I don't feel a need to spell it for the person taking my order. I just think of a name that is easy to spell and give it to them.

Also if it is just going to be a regular coffee (non espresso drink) I don't see much of a difference between Panera, Starbucks, and 7-11. It is just something to drink on my way to work in the morning.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Starbucks is one of the relatively few chains that make good strong drip coffee instead of just brown water.

Peet's is still my favorite, though.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, B6 TrueBlue, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by luxury
I like Meinl in Chicago and Vienna and have it shipped to me at YVR. Locally I like Republica, Elysian and Caffe Arteggiano. Don't like sbux usually but their specialty coffee using the Clover system is quite an improvement; however in SEA I really enjoy Fonte.
I worked right next door to a Starbucks with a Clover in Boston and it is by far the best coffee I've had from a chain. Some of the roasts were quite expensive (Jamaica Blue Mountain was almost $5/cup if I recall correctly), but others were not much more than their standard crap. If only I could find a Clover here in Denver...

Some wonderful non-chain coffee in Boston if anyone is looking:
Blue State Coffee: https://www.bluestatecoffee.com/
1369 Coffeehouse: http://www.1369coffeehouse.com/
Bloc11 Cafe: http://bloc11.com/
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: DL GM, UA G, AS 75k, IHG Plt
Originally Posted by luxury
however in SEA I really enjoy Fonte.
You'll be pleased to know that you can find Fonte nationally, including several places in Chicago.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:29 am

always the small, non-chain coffee cafe since there's so many in Europe. definitely a A++++ of living here.

in the states, its a bit harder but Philz coffee in San Francisco is on the spot.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:34 pm

I've been finding Caffč Nero to be a solid, consistent option outside the UK. I also like the way that they work with RSC, Tate Modern and Tate Britain, and many other local and national arts organisations.

And now to shame the company featured in this thread. I've found myself at least a dozen times in a location in North America where the only option for coffee was Starbucks, and each time they've failed to make one of the most simple drinks for any coffee house - a Caffč Macchiato. Usually when I order a double, I am asked 'what size?' Er, there is no 'size' like tall, grande etc. And then usually it comes in a very large cup, topped with caramel sauce, or whipped cream, or filled with milk. I usually order it as it is listed on the Starbucks website - espresso macchiato. Then I explain that I want two shots of espresso, marked with foam. (Milk is more common elsewhere but if I ask for that, it tends to come in a very large cup)

When I hand it back and ask again for a caffč macchiato or espresso macchiato, I am met with surprise, and then I have to explain what it is. Usually the second attempt comes with two shots of espresso (good!) and a large cup filled with milk (bad!) If I ask for a third attempt, and translate it very carefully into the correct ingredients and ratio, it tends to come topped with about 3-5cm of foam.

Very sad indeed that the large, worldwide coffee chain can no longer make such a simple drink. I recall in the early days of Starbucks expansion when they had the pictures on the wall, showing the correct ratio of espresso to milk to foam in the various drinks. Now it all seems to be about whipped cream, syrups, cold blended drinks, and not about the basics.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Of my frequent haunts:

-In London, most Anglo-Italian sandwich shops/greasy spoons will do for the coffee fix

- In Frankfurt, I'll have my morning coffee chatting with the French born newsagent next to the old Eurotower. Nice chap, stocks all quality papers and serves a good wake-up brew

- In Seoul, the chain coffeeshop upstairs from our old offices at Mt.Namsan. Very elegant and simple interiors and green views to complement their own coffee imports. I've heard of even Latino coffee professionals coming to Korea for training lately...

- In Shanghai, the Starbucks at Daning shopping mall. Mostly for the free wifi

-
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:52 pm

I liked the coffee chain "Ruta" in Mexico when we were there recently. I don't know if it is everywhere like Starbucks but it was certainly in every bus station we were in.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:42 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
What I really long for is the coffee at the old CROUS (student restaurant) café in Strasbourg. They used an old-fashioned French roast with a tiny bit of chicory, and it had the most wonderful flavour - especially as a noisette or an allongé.

Strange how memories like this persist. That's 15 years ago now!
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:57 am
Suspended

Also I'm surprised how many people love Peet's. If you're in SF, Philz is the place to go.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum
I find that McD's do a very acceptable coffee in the UK and easily found near my natural habitat of motorways.

Sensible price and of course every 7th cup is free!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I remember years ago when McD's would put Coffee Pots on the counter for free refills if you had a McD's cup. Sales guys would get a cup in the morning and fill it up all day from McD's to McD's.

Lately, have been flying through Denver - United Terminal. There is ONE Starbucks a haul down toward the commuter gates. The main event area is Caribou Coffee. So I've been laying off the Starbucks and doing Caribou. I enjoy the atmosphere and coffee at most Caribou Coffee locations. They have closed a bunch in the Midwest and consolidated their ops toward Minneapolis and Denver.

When I'm in Michigan, I've been hitting Biggby Coffee locations. Not bad!
Of course, when in SanFran or Seattle, I usually do Peets.
In London? I'm a Cafe Nero fan. Go figure.

I guess my loyalty is fickle lately. Getting older I suppose.

Now, The S.O.? She's a SBUX FREAK x 2 squared! HOWEVER - She does not drink coffee. She must have a SBUX Hot Chocolate, no Whip no Foam EXTRA Hot, twice a day. Breakfast and afternoon break. Stay out of her way when she's in pursuit of a SBUX. She knows the locations from Honolulu to Istanbul (that I still call Constantinople - I refuse to believe the Eastern Roman empire ever fell! ) . But seriously, she's a fanatic over their hot chocolate. Yep. Welcome to my world.

Last edited by RobbieRunner; Oct 24, 2014 at 9:06 pm Reason: Forgot about the S.O.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:26 am
Suspended

Just wanted to share a tip: I've recently switched to tea at home - I only drink coffee when crossing time zones. It's great for when I need to stay up until the local bedtime. I've found if I fly to say, Paris, have a shot or two of espresso and go to bed around 10 local time, I vastly reduce my jet lag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.