FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grabbing Java on the road! Starbucks or other?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:38 am
Swissaire

Hi gfunkdave -

I understand and appreciate what Starbucks is attempting to do here. The first name policy is trying to bring the coffee experience to a closer, friendly personal level, which is good. The thinking is that if Bob, Heinz, or Solange is called by their first name, they will become part of the Starbuck " extended family, " and want to return again. Perhaps even buy a bag of coffee, or even company stock.

Similar thinking with dining at a fine restaurant and having the Maitre’D state " Oh, Mr. GfunkDave, so nice to see you again. Your usual table then ? " Yes.

Unfortunately, cultural differences in Europe make the Starbucks request for a first name a somewhat awkward experience for many of us, even embarrassing. It isn't done in Milano, Berlin, Paris, or Zürich, except of course at Starbucks. We use the receipt to connect to the right coffee "drink" ordered, not the first, or last name.

I share exbayern's thoughts regarding the apparent need at Starbucks for volume. Much too loud from the staff. My main observation is that the Starbucks Barista will shout the first name of the owner of the 4 gallon milk and coffee drink he/she just finished for pick-up, while looking over the patrons ( no friendly direct eye contact ), even though they are standing less than an arm's distance away from them.

" Eddie ? Are you EDDIE ? ( Answer: No ) EDDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAGH !!!! "

This last refrain, now in excess of 85 dbA, is amusing to some, but unnecessary to most.