Wiki Posts
Search

Sushi alternatives

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Sushi alternatives

Working on an idea...trying to come up with an alternative for Sushi for a few people who don't like a)fish and b)rice. I know - what's the point? I guess I want the experience to still be there. As for the fish, I think I can find decent substitutes (realizing I am not going for flavor here) by using things like Prosciutto and thinkly sliced roast beef or ham, or stick to vegetable styles. Still thinking about the Nori - still from the ocean, so maybe some kind of leaves/cooked spinach? Again, I think I can work around not using a Nori style sushi. But the Rice has me stumped.

I had thought about Couscous, but I dont think it is sticky enough. Also thought about Polenta, but that is too sticky. Any other ideas?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

how about just cooking the sushi?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J3 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by izzik
how about just cooking the sushi?
Or egg salad sandwiches. I don't understand what the OP is trying to do. There are lots of foods that aren't sushi it seems.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm not sure that a person who doesn't eat both fish and rice would be thrilled with an ersatz offering. The only time I've ever had Spam was in a sushi presentation.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
So you are trying to make sushi without fish or rice.

Why not just go to the Olive Garden and order the Lasagna Rolls?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:26 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J3 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by cordelli
So you are trying to make sushi without fish or rice.

Why not just go to the Olive Garden and order the Lasagna Rolls?
I think eggplant rolletini is closer.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:28 pm
Original Member

I would think that people who don't like sushi because of the fish and/or the rice aren't going to care about their substitute offering being shaped something like sushi because --- wait for it ----

These are the people who don't like sushi!

Give em chicken wings.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
I know what you're trying to do, but I'm going to second the opionion of others here. You may be just trying too hard, and maybe these folks would prefer a more standard appetizer fare...
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Well, the idea is about theming and atmosphere as anythiong else. This will be a Japanese themed event, the sushi plays a big part of it. I didn't want those people who cant do rice to feel too out of place in the event. I have seen some recipes using cauliflower, might give that a shot but maybe I should spend more time trying to find a presentation style that fits japanese that may not be sushi.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
http://www.texwasabis.com/food/menu.html

Scroll down to Gringo Sushi, is that something that might work for you?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
http://www.texwasabis.com/food/menu.html

Scroll down to Gringo Sushi, is that something that might work for you?
Never been there, but that is possibly the most interesting menu I've ever seen. I wouldn't know where to start.

"Growing out of the imagination of Food Network's star Guy Fieri (Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives)
is the whimsical melding of two disciplines, sushi and B-B-Q, and then breaking all of the
rules with a California twist. Tex Wasabi’s Rock N’ Roll Sushi B-B-Q restaurant is a paradox
that works! The food and the zealots who are drawn to the Santa Rosa and Sacramento
California locations can be best typified as—rebellious! A noisy bar is the pivot around which
spins unique cocktails that combine savory with kick-... sassy, and a menu that includes original sushi (Tootsie Roll, Spyderman Roll, Kemosabe Roll, Jackass Roll) and mouth watering slow roasted B-B-Q (BBQ Brisket Platter, Smoked Pork Ribs, Ribs-N-Chicken, New York Steak with Wasabi Butter)."

I may have to make a detour this summer on my drives from Redding to Auburn.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Well, the idea is about theming and atmosphere as anythiong else. This will be a Japanese themed event, the sushi plays a big part of it. I didn't want those people who cant do rice to feel too out of place in the event. I have seen some recipes using cauliflower, might give that a shot but maybe I should spend more time trying to find a presentation style that fits japanese that may not be sushi.
There's lots of Japanese food that's not sushi. Perhaps do a shabu shabu or yakitori, or even soup with udon/soba noodles.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't want those people who cant do rice to feel too out of place in the event.
Seriously... and I have met lots of picky eaters... there are those who can't do rice?

If you can't do rice you're just a freak and will feel out of place at any eating event.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
nerd: i wouldn't go straight off the bat to call them crazy; they may have a medical condition etc. etc. =)

but that aside, chicken wings =)
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:08 pm

Sushi is an important but by no means all encompassing part of Japanese cuisine. I have eaten many Japanese meals at outstanding Japanese restaurants in NY, Tokyo and Kyoto with little or no sushi. I would suggest rather than the fake sushi focus on making some nice tempura or soba/udon dish or robato stye grilled meats. It will be much more likely to come out delicious. It's making me hungry just thinking about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.