Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Butter - Worldwide

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: CO Silver, DL
Originally Posted by Mongah
Kerrygold salted pure Irish butter. I believe 8 oz is usually about 5 bucks here but honestly I don't look at the price. I am a cook and you can really tell the difference cooking with it, especially in sauces. I pretty much only use it for cooking though. For toast and other stuff I usually just use Land O Lakes or something like it.
The Kerrygold unsalted butter is much better- esp if you're going to use it for cooking. Don't know if it's widely available in the US tho.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Plugra anyone? Maybe not "favorite" but a great everyday butter.
I stopped buying Plugra when I read the ingredients and found out that the reason it tasted so 'buttery' was because of the butter flavor that was added to it.

I used to get a really good English butter, but the store I got it at stopped carrying it when it changed hands. They also stopped carrying Kate's from Maine, which was also pretty good.

I'm currently looking for a replacement for those two. I might have to try Lurpak next.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Thanks all for the tips!

I'm headed to Paris (and BCN and Andorra) next week so, I will definitely keep an eye out for good stuff to bring home!

Originally Posted by ibdublin
The Kerrygold unsalted butter is much better- esp if you're going to use it for cooking. Don't know if it's widely available in the US tho.
fwiw, Kerrygold is widely available in NYC and fwiw, Trader Joes carries both the salted and unsalted varieties. hmmm...not sure when the last time i tried some.

More recently, I've enjoyed pretty good but not great butters from England (Somerdale) and Russia (? - distributed out of NE Philadelphia and bought in Brighton Beach)

I see Cooks Illustrated did a taste test of many of the brands mentioned above...however the results link seems to redirect to their olive oil test.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tast...sp?docid=17728
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by bk3day
I see Cooks Illustrated did a taste test of many of the brands mentioned above...however the results link seems to redirect to their olive oil test.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tast...sp?docid=17728
The results apparently are available only if you are a member.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I don't know any brand names, but I have always found any butter in Mexico to be mighty tasty.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by falconea
Errr - which markets? Who's the supplier? I'll have to hunt this down since I live in Melbourne!
The best hand churned butter is sold at Victoria Market. Useful for those living in Melbourne, but not for the rest of the world. The flavour is phenomenal.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Homeade raw cream butter, Steph3n's home TX, purchased just outside Stephenville, TX.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:37 pm

I can't say it's the best in the world, but I remember being very partial to the milk and butter in the Netherlands.

The worst butter I have had must be in Mexico. Although they do lots of things really well, so far I have found that does not include butter management. Oh well, probably best not to eat it anyway.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
The Tasting Has Started...

Originally Posted by Condition One
Isigny Ste. Mere - salted, French. Got hooked on it in Brussels!
Just had Isigny Ste. Mere (sweet) on my Air France flight to (JFK-CDG)

It was good but I'm still thinking there's something better out there...

btw, they serve Presidente (sp?) in the Air France lounge.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by bk3day
Just had Isigny Ste. Mere (sweet) on my Air France flight to (JFK-CDG)

It was good but I'm still thinking there's something better out there...

btw, they serve Presidente (sp?) in the Air France lounge.
President is about as generic and bland as you can get. But then you were't looking for la creme de la creme at an airport lounge, were you?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by milepig
+2. BTW it is completely legal to bring butter back to the states. We usually rent an apartment in Paris, and we stock up on this stuff and freeze it. I put each one in a zip top bag that I bring along for this purpose and put it in checked baggage. It arrives home in perfect shape. You can actually buy what appears to be the same thing at Whole Foods, but it costs an arm and a leg and I swear it doesn't taste the same.
Is that right? I did not know that! ^ Thanks for the info.

I can't recall the names, now, since it's been so long since I was a student there, but Isigny St. Mere - I believe that was one I enjoyed - I actually also liked President, too. I would typically buy my butter at Le Bon Marche or at a fromagerie. In France, you have a choice of so many artisanal food products.

Here in the states, I like salted Hotel Bar - cheap, typically fresh and suitable. Land o Lakes is also perfectly fine.

Oh, wait! I know - there actually was a Dutch deli near me that sold artisanal butter off a huge block - you'd tell them what amount you want, and they'd cut it off the block, put it in butcher's paper, and THAT was very fine butter. But the Italian family sold out to a Polish couple, and the shop went out of business literally two months later. (I know, like a lot of good that does the threadstarter, lol, but try and look for a small deli or shop that shells cheese - they likely sell fine butters, as well.)
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:40 am

OT but on a dairy theme, why is it so hard to find real cheese in the States?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by garethmorgan
OT but on a dairy theme, why is it so hard to find real cheese in the States?
I have a source for this, I buy it at the same dairy as the raw milk.
They ship if someone is interested can PM me.

Why is it hard to find real milk, even regular pasteurized in France/Switzerland?
UHT shelf milk is
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: Independent
I don't think you will be able to top homemade butter, but it's not something easy to find in the US, very local.

Kerrygold is available in most supermarkets up here in New England. I am not a huge fan of it.

Vermont Butter and Cheese has a cultured butter which is outstanding. Wholefoods and some markets sell it, it is usually stocked in the cheese section, not the dairy case.

To be honest, though, I usually stick with good old Land o Lakes. The others are great if you decide you want to eat a nice slab of butter, but since you usually use it in something or to cook something in, then I dont think those work so well.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by MichaelCharlie
I'm currently looking for a replacement for those two. I might have to try Lurpak next.
I buy Lurpak when I'm cooking something special (not that often, as I normally cook for one). The leading grocery chain in my area, Publix, carries it.

http://www.lurpak.com/C1256F170024DD5C

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.