Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Diners (USA) Tailored Travel vs Barclays Arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Question Diners (USA) Tailored Travel vs Barclays Arrival

One points option that I don't see anybody mentioning is that you can redeem your points for statement credits on travel, at the same rate as the Arrival (but w/o the 10% back).
Since we have the Elite card on the way, we are going to have to sit down and look at the numbers to see if it makes sense to keep the arrival.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cvhatton
One points option that I don't see anybody mentioning is that you can redeem your points for statement credits on travel, at the same rate as the Arrival (but w/o the 10% back).
Since we have the Elite card on the way, we are going to have to sit down and look at the numbers to see if it makes sense to keep the arrival.
So 1 DC point = $0.01 statement credit? Is there a minimum redemption amount like there is on the Arrival?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Copied and pasted from the club rewards site regarding the Tailored Travel Credit:

Description
With the Tailored Travel program, the choice is truly yours. You decide where, when and how you travel - on virtually any airline in the world! Club Rewards makes it easy for you to get the best deal for your airline ticket or other travel, charge it to your Diners Club Card, then pay for it with your points - all with no blackout dates and no restrictions.

How to book:

1. Book your airline ticket, hotel stay, car rental, cruise or other travel with your preferred travel provider, including discount travel websites.
2. Pay with your Diners Club Card.
3. Call Club Rewards at 1.800.234.4034, Monday - Sunday 9am-9pm EST once the charges post to your account. Then, we'll cash in the number of points and credit that dollar amount to your Diners Club Card.

Remember 100 Club Rewards points = $1.00. To calculate how many points you will need, simply take the cost of your travel and divide it by 0.0100. For example, a $250 airline ticket requires 25,000 points.
The site states nothing about a minimum, so I would guess the answer is no but not 100% sure.

Also just like stated on the site I pasted you are correct in the DC point statement value.

Last edited by mia; Oct 5, 2014 at 4:53 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Pay with Points

Remember 100 Club Rewards points = $1.00. To calculate how many points you will need, simply take the cost of your travel and divide it by 0.0100. For example, a $250 airline ticket requires 25,000 points.
This looks promising. I don't have the Arrival card which is similar to this. I recently was sent a preapproved invite from TD Bank which also offered the pay with points option, but didn't bite. The Club Rewards pay with points option combined with transfer partners and primary car rental insurance were enough to get me to apply.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eajusa
This looks promising. I don't have the Arrival card which is similar to this. I recently was sent a preapproved invite from TD Bank which also offered the pay with points option, but didn't bite. The Club Rewards pay with points option combined with transfer partners and primary car rental insurance were enough to get me to apply.
DC Elite beats out the Arrival for tailored travel.

Mall GC on Arrival net per $500 = $8.00

PPMC on DC Elite net per $500 = $11.05
VGC on DC Elite net per $500 = $10.05
Grocery VGC on DC Elite net per $500 = $9.05
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by ftomasze
DC Elite beats out the Arrival for tailored travel.

Mall GC on Arrival net per $500 = $8.00

PPMC on DC Elite net per $500 = $11.05
VGC on DC Elite net per $500 = $10.05
Grocery VGC on DC Elite net per $500 = $9.05
Well with DC's low tolerance, I would stick with Arrival for cash travels.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ayase
Well with DC's low tolerance, I would stick with Arrival for cash travels.

Low tolerance for what? The wife has pushed over $12k on her Elite over the passed few weeks and everything has gone perfect so far. 99% of all the spend on her card has been in bonus categories.

We have had a couple issues with our Arrival cards but have also pushed over $500K easily.

But to say DC has a low tolerance without first hand experience is not a fair assessment. Having both Arrival and Diners Club, we are moving all our spending over to Diners.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:45 am

Low tolerance for what? The wife has pushed over $12k on her Elite over the passed few weeks and everything has gone perfect so far. 99% of all the spend on her card has been in bonus categories.

We have had a couple issues with our Arrival cards but have also pushed over $500K easily.

But to say DC has a low tolerance without first hand experience is not a fair assessment. Having both Arrival and Diners Club, we are moving all our spending over to Diners.
How much of that 12k was at Target? I just got mine and don't want to blow it... What was the highest charge amount? Any fraud alerts from them? Just trying to get more info...
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miadeals
How much of that 12k was at Target? I just got mine and don't want to blow it... What was the highest charge amount? Any fraud alerts from them? Just trying to get more info...

How much at Target? One $2.98 and one for a little over $3.

Basically did it to test the waters to see how Target posted (grocery, discount...My target posted as discount store) The rest of that was done purely in 3x and the highest was just north of $1500 with another $1k about 30 minutes later. Not one single alert (thank god) everything has been smooth sailing.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:17 pm

I think we have plenty of evidence of a low tolerance for Target but I think that is Fraud Management (managing transactions/vendors) as opposed to Risk Management (managing us).
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Low tolerance at Target yes but that was not how the question was posed (as least how I read it) did not want people to think that overall, Diners had a low tolerance.
I am expecting to receive a Redcard (hopefully today) in the mail but since my Target codes as discount so no 3x I will be stopping into another store to pick up OV to load at Target. Increase in cost yes but for 3x Alaska miles and the chance to diversify from Walmart a little. Yes please.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:17 pm

Hi - I realize both DC and Barclaycard value custom travel credits at $0.01 per point, but isn't the Barclaycard accrual rate 2x the DC rate, plus BC gives a 10% discount on travel credits? If so, that makes BC 2.2x as valuable as DC. I've been with DC for nearly two decades but I am just about done with them. Please let me know if I'm mistaken about any of this.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:13 pm

If you have the DC Elite, you're getting the 3x bonus at GGD Visa/MC categories whereas the A+ is a flat 2.2% everywhere.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by MilesJunkyardDawg
If you have the DC Elite, you're getting the 3x bonus at GGD Visa/MC categories whereas the A+ is a flat 2.2% everywhere.
Thanks for the reply. That certainly makes sense if you can take advantage of the 3x points and also have the elite card. Existing customers with their old card are basically out of luck unless they switch then, huh?

It seems odd to me that they'd introduce a card that is so much more expensive with the only benefit being the ability to earn 3x points in so few extra categories. I can't imagine they designed this card specifically for MS.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyeronac
It seems odd to me that they'd introduce a card that is so much more expensive with the only benefit being the ability to earn 3x points in so few extra categories. I can't imagine they designed this card specifically for MS.
In terms of earning money for use as statement credits, when you compare the Arrival Plus with the DC Premier, both w/ a $95 AF, you are correct.
DC = 1.0 Arrival = 2.2 However, the DC Elite, $300 AF, gives you 3.0 on spend for gas, groceries, and drug stores. Again, you are correct that you can get this with other cards that have a lower AF.
This begs the question, why keep either DC card? For me, it is the ability to transfer Club Points to a healthy list of partners, and many transfer at a rate better than 1:1. I have the Premier DC. Even with the 3X categories, I don't think the Elite is worth the extra $205 AF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.