Wiki Posts
Search

Shocked by "New" Sky Club at MSP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Shocked by "New" Sky Club at MSP

My last visit to the NW WC at G concourse was in May 2009. It is now a Sky Club. Visited yesterday and was schocked at the lack of amenities. Gone are the nice cheese blocks in the refrigerator, gone is the fruit plate. Only that awfull sweet trail mix, pretzels and some dry biscuits. Is this really worth any membership fee at all? Except for the free booze and wi-fi, I see no value. At least not for the kind of fee that they charge for membership.

What a let down this was.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:59 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I thought the same thing on my first visit to a SkyClub in DTW last month. I pay all that money for this? I'm going to have to take up drinking the hard stuff to get my money's worth.

Then I can literally say "Deltification drove me to drink..."
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
You got "Best-in-class" service!

NW clearly offered a great lounge product. DL still offers a superior lounge product compared to UA/AA if you value free alcohol. Whether DL's product is worth the annual fee - for me it's definitely not. I already have cellular broadband, so I might as well take the money and eat at a real restaurant and get real food that I want. (Especially more important now that it is so much more difficult to get real F meals.)

I've also noticed a higher number of single women at the airport bar than in the airline lounge, but YMMV.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:06 am

YES

I was at MSP this week. Pathetic... Especially that fake coffee machine they have now.

Was in NRT lounge today. Remodeled since my last visit - looks nice, with lots of computers to use, nice furnishings. Snacks were sushi, cajun chicken chunks, apple tart, salad, asian chicken soup (good), little pizzas, nuts, etc. All of it was pretty good IMO.

Also saw DTW lounge on a connection. Had a piece of nasty "cheese food" but I was glad to at least see they had the carrots back, along with the Delta stuff.

Hummus? I love Hummus, but is it a good idea to feed basically raw garlic to people getting on planes? It's already stinky enough without that!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:24 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Originally Posted by mikelevitt
Hummus? I love Hummus, but is it a good idea to feed basically raw garlic to people getting on planes? It's already stinky enough without that!
OK, a little off topic, but I don't think there is that much garlic (if any) in the Hummus!

"Chick peas, water, tahini (sesame paste), sea salt, natural spices, citric acid"

And it tastes pretty darn good on those bland crackers they are putting out now!!!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by jaws3
My last visit to the NW WC at G concourse was in May 2009. It is now a Sky Club. Visited yesterday and was schocked at the lack of amenities. Gone are the nice cheese blocks in the refrigerator, gone is the fruit plate. Only that awfull sweet trail mix, pretzels and some dry biscuits. Is this really worth any membership fee at all? Except for the free booze and wi-fi, I see no value. At least not for the kind of fee that they charge for membership.

What a let down this was.
What I've noticed is the food offerings change by time of day, I haven't been able to figure out the pattern though.

Bob H
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:21 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Write to DL or NWA!

Where have you all been??? This has been like this now for ~3 months. Please take the time to complain to NW and DL about the horrible food offerings, especially WC members, as posting your feelings here will do nada about helping the SC management consider changing the food options.

I have already sent them my feelings about the value depreciation of my membership. I really would like a refund of my remaining almost 3 years. I would not renew with the club the way it is now, they need to know this.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by secretsea18
Where have you all been??? This has been like this now for ~3 months. Please take the time to complain to NW and DL about the horrible food offerings, especially WC members, as posting your feelings here will do nada about helping the SC management consider changing the food options.

I have already sent them my feelings about the value depreciation of my membership. I really would like a refund of my remaining almost 3 years. I would not renew with the club the way it is now, they need to know this.
+1. I wrote to NW a few months ago about this and the reply was prompt. They deposited a few K miles into my account, even though I specifically said I didn't want any miles, rather for them to improve the food offerings. Oh well.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Do they still have the former coffee/espresso/cappacino machines at the MSP clubs?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Do they still have the former coffee/espresso/cappacino machines at the MSP clubs?
Yeah, it's the same Douwe Egberts coffee machine. Those machines are also being deployed in former CRCs.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BobH
What I've noticed is the food offerings change by time of day, I haven't been able to figure out the pattern though.

Bob H
The stale crackers, packaged "processed cheese product", carrots, celery and hummus come out at 4:00 pm. I think they officially disappear at 7:00. The inedible snack mix and nutella is out at all times.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
+1. I wrote to NW a few months ago about this and the reply was prompt. They deposited a few K miles into my account, even though I specifically said I didn't want any miles, rather for them to improve the food offerings. Oh well.
I think you got the message. Welcome to Delta.

Delta are Borg. You will be assimilated.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by uavking
Yeah, it's the same Douwe Egberts coffee machine. Those machines are also being deployed in former CRCs.
I might be in the minority but I'm of the opinion that the coffee/latte/mocha dispensed by these machines is actually quite tasty (as far as self service machine products go). IMO it's an acceptable alternative to *Bucks and free beats $4.

Since I don't drink the hard stuff when traveling I have to somehow rationalize how much I paid for my LT membership last Nov.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Are you listening Delta?

Let's hope Delta is reading this thread. The clubs are awful since Delta entered the picture, Please, PLEASE, DELTA bring back our old amenities that I bought when I paid my new lifetime membership in late 2008.

I paid for my membership with my American Express. Wonder if I can contact them about a vendor not providing the service they sold me?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by hockeystl
I might be in the minority but I'm of the opinion that the coffee/latte/mocha dispensed by these machines is actually quite tasty (as far as self service machine products go). IMO it's an acceptable alternative to *Bucks and free beats $4.

Since I don't drink the hard stuff when traveling I have to somehow rationalize how much I paid for my LT membership last Nov.
+1, the D-E coffee machines were (are) an improvement over their predecessors (I can't remember what they were, but I remember the D-E machines being an improvement!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.