Wiki Posts
Search

GoGo GoGoing up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:34 pm
tjm

Programs: Marriott: LT Titanium, Amtrak: Select Exec; Hertz: PC
Originally Posted by LAX88
If you need or simply enjoy using Internet on board, the rates are quite reasonable. Is $5 really going to break the bank? Price increases are never welcome, but this isn't surprising or absurd.
Netflix felt the same way when they raised prices by 16%. They lost 800,000 customers in three months.

GoGo has now raised prices by 33% in less than three years. Maybe most people are fine with it. Maybe not. It won't take long for them to find out.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by tjm
Netflix felt the same way when they raised prices by 16%. They lost 800,000 customers in three months.

GoGo has now raised prices by 33% in less than three years. Maybe most people are fine with it. Maybe not. It won't take long for them to find out.
How many people have their Netflix subscription subsidized by their employer.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wait, did you get an email? I pay 34.95/mo and haven't gotten any notice.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX88
If you need or simply enjoy using Internet on board, the rates are quite reasonable. Is $5 really going to break the bank? Price increases are never welcome, but this isn't surprising or absurd.
It's the point of the matter. They have had 3 price increases, they now auto renew which they didn't before and since you pay by the month you don't always know how many flights are actually going to have the service, B, have service that actually works, C. What type of speed it's going to be,,etc.

They have pushed it too far for me, if you are happy with it, that's fine but I no longer am. I get paid the same whether I work on my flight or not, so I lose nothing, GoGo loses not me.,
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wait, did you get an email? I pay 34.95/mo and haven't gotten any notice.
I was paying 34.95 that email I posted I received today.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Highway robbery to charge that for such low speeds. Hopefully enough people will leave that it will speed up significantly.
FOR SUCH LOW SPEEDS IN A PLANE TRAVELLING 600MPH 35,000 FEET ABOVE THE EARTH'S SURFACE? My how our expectations have soared

It's actually remarkably pretty cheap - and if you fly 3 r/t a month, hardly an absurd charge - at whatever speed, as long as my email works.

Would I like it to be better? Sure - but it's a rather difficult and expensive technical problem to solve - largely because GoGo implemented CDMA instead of GSM. This will limit their ability to easily solve their bandwidth issues - though they did just start upgrading to CDMA Rev B (http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/12/g...ter-speeds-an/)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tjm

If Netflix had ~5.8 million subscribers, it would have been a wash. If they had over that number, it should have been revenue positive for them....if they had less than 5.8 million customers, it would have been negative. I guess I'm not sure how it panned out for them but that is kind of how business works and you expect to lose some customers when you jack up prices.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Sadly, this is old news.....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rt-phones.html
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP and LT PL, National Executive Elite
It's $40 per month, big deal, I'll spend that or more for be breakfast meeting in a lot of cities and this keeps me connected to my employees and customers while traveling for an entire month.

To be honest it's worth more than $40 to me.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
It is not old news. The email came out today, this is the DL only pass the other was the all airline pass. It goes in to effect end of January.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by smachiz
FOR SUCH LOW SPEEDS IN A PLANE TRAVELLING 600MPH 35,000 FEET ABOVE THE EARTH'S SURFACE? My how our expectations have soared

It's actually remarkably pretty cheap - and if you fly 3 r/t a month, hardly an absurd charge - at whatever speed, as long as my email works. ...
Most people could synch their emails before takeoff, draft replies in the air, and send upon landing.

So what people are paying for is either real time comms (which could be valuable for a select few) or entertainment.

The majority will begin to realize it is far cheaper to load some media in advance.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Most people could synch their emails before takeoff, draft replies in the air, and send upon landing.

So what people are paying for is either real time comms (which could be valuable for a select few) or entertainment.

The majority will begin to realize it is far cheaper to load some media in advance.

Real time email is valuable for a lot more than a select few on a 6 hour flight... it means I can get practically a full work day in while flying to the west coast.

And you're exactly right - they're trying to price in two distinct camps:
1) The business set who's time is valuable and are willing to pay much, much more
2) The recreational fliers who will spend $12-20 per flight or $40 per month to read the news, gossip, chat with friends or whatever else on a flight.

My cell phone bill is $120+, my home Internet is $80+, and 10 starbucks coffees is $45. $39 isn't likely to price anyone out.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP and LT PL, National Executive Elite
Real time email is valuable for a lot more than a select few on a 6 hour flight... it means I can get practically a full work day in while flying to the west coast.

1) The business set who's time is valuable and are willing to pay much, much more
2) The recreational fliers who will spend $12-20 per flight or $40 per month to read the news, gossip, chat with friends or whatever else on a flight.

My cell phone bill is $120+, my home Internet is $80+, and 10 starbucks coffees is $45. $39 isn't likely to price anyone out.
^^^
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

Though I partially agreee, I also somewhat disagree.

On the Biz customers, there are still many who fly east cost routes and have little need for real time email. But I certainly agree that if you commute JFK<>LAX regularly the $39 is nominal.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Though I partially agreee, I also somewhat disagree.

On the Biz customers, there are still many who fly east cost routes and have little need for real time email. But I certainly agree that if you commute JFK<>LAX regularly the $39 is nominal.
At $10/week, if you're doing flights that are 1.5-2 hours, it's still probably worthwhile. But point taken - it's much less interesting on the hops from NYC to BUF or ATL to RDU where you're not in the air 50 minutes and might have wifi for 20 of those - but it's not much more interesting at $35 either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.