Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need Some Info on Likely Delta Gold Application

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

1. I currently possess the personal gold card; it is one of my two longest-held. Delta miles have substantial value to me as I’ve netted most of my miles on this airline. However, being able to take advantage of the various ~30,000 mile offers (that change every now and then) appeals to me as I have recently found the value in credit card bonuses. This being the case, while I would like to acquire a minimum spend bonus deal with this card I recognize the that I cannot do so as long as I possess the card. I know that I have the option to downgrade or to upgrade (or, should I cancel altogether first?).
Therefore my questions are:
o 1) Which way should I go?
o 2) what are the upsides/downsides of both? And
o 3) is there a waiting period following either action?

2. Can someone confirm whether this 45,000 offer still is active? If so, might I be able to apply it to my scenario somehow?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

For the record, when I did the 45,000 linky it said i already had the card, but it didn't say the offer was no longer available.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
You can call amex and ask to to re-consolidate your cards, meaning, put the entire credit line from your amex delta gold onto another amex card, thereby not losing your line of credit or history as its still there, and then apply for a new amex delta gold
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Oh...right. How did I not think of that!? Thanks!!!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:44 pm

If you do that, though, you need to wait a year until you can get a new delta gold card. However, you only need to wait 91days if you want to apply for the platinum delta and get the bonus.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:04 am
Formerly known as jdd2po

Originally Posted by PinnacleJew

2. Can someone confirm whether this 45,000 offer still is active? If so, might I be able to apply it to my scenario somehow?
I used both my wife and my info using that offer and came up with 40k this time. That is not to say the targeted 45k offer still won't pop up after you log in.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Outside of the fact that the annual fee is increased to accommodate the $99 companion seat credit thingy, what other differences are there that make platinum a better card?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by PinnacleJew
Outside of the fact that the annual fee is increased to accommodate the $99 companion seat credit thingy, what other differences are there that make platinum a better card?
20,000 MQMS if you spend $50K a year That is the ONLY value I receive from that card. Once I charge $50K my spending goes on another card the rest of the year.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Yeah, this isn't my spend card either. How about this: Before end of this month, apply for the no annual fee 50,000 Hilton card. If I must, transfer most of credit line. Then after waiting period, convert for platinum.

Thoughts? (Also, when would the first annual fee for the plat card occur?).
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by PinnacleJew:19127700
Yeah, this isn't my spend card either. How about this: Before end of this month, apply for the no annual fee 50,000 Hilton card. If I must, transfer most of credit line. Then after waiting period, convert for platinum.

Thoughts? (Also, when would the first annual fee for the plat card occur?).
Instead of converting I'd cancel the gold, wait 91days, then apply for the platinum. You'd get a larger bonus this way. The fee should hit in your first statement since the platinum fee isn't waived for the first year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.