Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skyteam Elite & Virgin Australia Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying Virgin Australia (DJ) domestic flight from BNE-SYD. Does anyone know if I could use Virgin's lounge in BNE as a ST+? Delta's website suggests I could, but ST's website and Virgin's website suggest something else.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
You have to be flying on/connecting to an international itinerary AND on SkyTeam to be able to take advantage of Elite Plus lounge access. Since you're flying domestic DJ, the answer here would be no. Though it definitely would not hurt to try
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
As I understand top tier delta flyers and Skyclub members get access to virgin australia lounges when flying virgin Australia. This has nothing to do with sky team and is a reciprocal arrangement between delta and virgin. Virgin gold and platinums get access to delta sky clubs when flying domestically in the US. You should be fine - try your luck at least.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Virgin Australia's web site says clearly that you do have access: Delta partnership on va.com.au:

SkyMiles Medallion Diamond, Platinum and Gold members receive complimentary entry into the Virgin Australia lounge network*.

* On the same day of travel only.
I had no trouble accessing DJ lounges (in domestic terminals with a DJ flight) as a Sky Club member, but can't (yet) speak from personal experience as a Delta Gold.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by savekenny
I'm flying Virgin Australia (DJ) domestic flight from BNE-SYD. Does anyone know if I could use Virgin's lounge in BNE as a ST+? Delta's website suggests I could, but ST's website and Virgin's website suggest something else.
Since no Virgin airline is a SkyTeam member, what the SkyTeam website says is irrelevant. DL and Virgin whatever are partners, so if there is a lounge benefit, it is derived specifically from your DL elite status.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
Don't you still have to be flying internationally though?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Delta Dude
Don't you still have to be flying internationally though?
No. Not for the domestic lounges.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:44 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Any idea if this benefit also allows a guest in? I believe I have seen that it does, but the most recent link to Virgin's website doesn't specifically say.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
I am currently in Australia, and have flown between MEL and ADL two times this week. I used my Diamond card for Virgin Lounge access on Domestic DJ tickets on each visit to each respective airport. I am travelling with a Platinum, and there was some confusion by the Virgin staff in MEL as to whose membership had a higher value. They joked with us that I would have to be my travelling companion's guest, and vice versa, but let us in the lounge with no drama.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I have traveled between SYD and BNE a few times and I've simply shown my diamond card and boarding pass and been let in. The SYD and BNE lounges are pretty awesome.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:12 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Thanks for the replies -- and I can now confirm from firsthand experience that a Delta Gold card does indeed get you into the lounge with a guest. The lounges are only in the domestic terminals, so it's no help if you're flying out of any of the Aussie airports internationally, but they are indeed quite nice if you happen to be flying domestic on VA.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the Virgin lounges are all in domestic terminals, what happens to DL elites flying the DL SYD-LAX flight or any of the international Virgin flights to LAX exAustralia?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the Virgin lounges are all in domestic terminals, what happens to DL elites flying the DL SYD-LAX flight or any of the international Virgin flights to LAX exAustralia?
On DL metal: access to Air New Zealand lounge (the contracted lounge).

On VA metal: no lounge access (if in coach). (I can confirm this from personal experience at LAX T3 -- though at least you have the SkyClub in T5 there -- and the wording on VA's web site is pretty clear for Australian international terminals: DL Gold+ get access to "the Virgin Australia lounge network", which means VA owned and operated lounges.)

Note that Virgin Australia and Etihad are allegedly looking for the right space to construct their own joint lounge at the Sydney international terminal. This would presumably be part of "the Virgin Australia lounge network" (ie Virgin owned and operated) and thus allow partner elites access. However, though it was in the news again a few weeks ago, they still haven't found the right space, let alone started construction.

Edit: To be complete, the Etihad lounge is now open. It is not a joint VA/EY lounge, so not part of the VA lounge network and thus no access for DL elites.

Last edited by ashill; Jul 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:11 am

What happens to people in business class on the VA operated flights? Does elite status with DL matter then?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What happens to people in business class on the VA operated flights? Does elite status with DL matter then?
Can't speak from experience, but you get lounge access (NZ lounges in Oz, VX lounge in LAX) like any other business class customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.