Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
If he flies every week why was he in the 17A on a CMH/ATL flight. Even if wasn't upgraded, he should have been in EC.
SDC - or standby?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Originally Posted by BeachBum770
DL 1314 from CMH to ATL on Friday night. Had a man who was the last one to board an MD90 last night with a rolling computer bag. There was room for one more bag in the back of the plane, and he was in 17A. He told the FA to take his bag back there because he wasn't going past his seat.
I believe the FA made a major mistake here ... should have taken his bag walked down the aisle to the back with it. Opened up the rear door and chucked it out ...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
If it were me I would take his bag and shove it someplace else
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
Originally Posted by rajsh
I believe the FA made a major mistake here ... should have taken his bag walked down the aisle to the back with it. Opened up the rear door and chucked it out ...
Originally Posted by saxman66
If it were me I would take his bag and shove it someplace else
He was definitely the topic of conversation during most of the flight by both the FAs and the people in FC who saw the way he acted.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
two words (really one) come to mind - ar** and h%le
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:55 pm

I was recently accused of being a DYKWIA on a Delta Flight. I do not see it, but maybe I am wrong. Here are the facts --

A) Upon sitting down, I place several items into the pouch for holding SKY Magazine and safety cards (would have been the seat back in front of me, but I was in a bulkhead seat). The items I place there are my passport and ticket, my cell phone, and my eyeglasses hooked over the side of the pouch (one arm of the frame is in the pouch and the lenses and rest of the frame are draped on the side of this pouch).

B) After the small (plastic bag/no tray type) breakfast is served and consumed, I add into the center of the pouch, the apple (wrapped inside a plastic bag), and on top of the apple, the used OJ cup and inside that cup the very small used yogurt cup (with spoon and plastic wrap). The two cups and apple are dead smack in the center of the pouch.

C) I fall sleep for 4 hours.

D) I wake and discover that my eyeglasses are gone (as are the oj and yogurt cup and trash inside the small cup but the apple is not removed). I take the entire contents of the pouch and spread them on the floor. I find all my other personal objects, but no eyeglasses. I look underneath my seat, around my seat, in the pouch of the person next to me and under her seat. She asked me what happened, and I explained my eyeglasses were missing. After confirming that they are nowhere to be found around my seat, I go to the back of the plane to speak with the flight attendants and to go through the garbage to look for my eyeglasses.

E) I explain situation to flight attendants. At first they say that eyeglasses must be at my seat. I assure them they are not. They double check and speak with the neighboring passenger who confirms that my eyeglasses are missing and that I looked everywhere. I explain to the flight attendants that this is an extremely important situation because I cannot drive my car without my glasses, so i must have them by the time I get to my final destination.

F) We (me and two flight attendants) don plastic gloves and dive into the trash searching. In the 4th mini-dumpster searched, one of the flight attendants finds my eyeglasses (covered in OJ and yogurt, but intact). Flight attendants all are very apologetic for throwing away my eyeglasses and offer to clean them for me. I insist I will clean them and I also explain that we only narrowly averted a catastrophe and that no flight attendant should throw out items from a passenger who is sleeping without confirming that the items are trash or the passenger okays it. They are all apologetic, but I remain angry about the situation but grateful for the dumpster diving help.

G) A flight attendant comes to my seat and asks if I would accept skymiles for compensation for my inconvenience and asks me if 5,000 miles is okay it is the most she can give me. I say I do not know what is correct compensation, but i will not reject anything she wants to give me. I make clear I do not know if 5,000 miles is adequate compensation and I will decide later whether I view it as enough or not. I also tell her that all flight attendants should be notified not to throw out passengers belongings without checking with the passenger first.

H) At this point, the passenger one row behind me and across the aisle from me with whom there had been no interaction at all, rips into me and tells me I am acting inappropriately and I should accept the flight attendants apologies and offers of compensation and tell them all is okay. She says that everybody makes mistakes and that everybody understood why I was angry, but that I am being inappropriate in telling the flight attendant to tell all other flight attendants to not throw away passengers' belongings and making the point that I do not know if 5,000 miles is adequate compensation. I tell this busybody that I am in too angry a mood to decide what is adequate compensation for having to dig through the trash to get my eyeglasses and there is no reason I should have to decide now. She insists that my anger is being imposed on everybody around me because they have to witness the obviously very upset flight attendants groveling for my forgiveness and my rejection of them. She says I should just tell the flight attendants that all is forgiven and end the situation. She insists I am being way too mean since I did get my glasses back and everything is fine now.

I) The passenger seated next to me (a stranger too but also full witness to my exchanges with the flight attendants and the other passenger accusing me of creating a toxic atmosphere) says to me she does not agree with the passenger scolding me and I have every right to be as angry as I am.

I still have not decided whether I think 5k skymiles is adequate compensation. I also do not feel bad for telling the flight attendants that they should never throw away a passenger's personal belongings without checking with the passenger. While this situation could have been an understandable mistake if it were possible to mistake my eyeglasses for garbage or my eyeglasses had been near the garbage (empty cups) that were also in my pouch (but not near my glasses), that was not the case here. I also did not go after the flight attendants. All I did was try to get my glasses from the garbage and go back to my seat. The flight attendants came to me to ask to give me compensation for their mistake and asked me to forgive them and accept 5k as compensation. Once I had my glasses and told two separate flight attendants to make sure no other flight attendants throw away passengers personal belongings, the ONLY exchanges AT ALL were initiated by flight attendants and they were all excessive apologies and requests that I accept skymiles as compensation. At that point, all i did was not accept the apologies and also make clear that I was unsure if 5k miles was enough for the inconvenience suffered (the garbage was very gross to go through and I went through 1.5 dumpsters on my own).

So, was this a DYKWIA moment? If not that, was I a rude or crude passenger? By the way, the dumpster diving could have gone into the gross things passengers do thread, and I would have had to plead guilty, but if you needed your glasses as badly as I need mine, you would have been right there in the trash with me (the flight attendants volunteered to do it themselves instead of having me do it too, but the fact of the matter is I did not trust them at that point, and I wanted to make sure the trash was very thoroughly gone through). Fortunately, they were found before getting to the last several dumpsters.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by NewYorkMoscowFlyer64
I was recently accused of being a DYKWIA on a Delta Flight. I do not see it, but maybe I am wrong. Here are the facts --

A) Upon sitting down, I place several items into the pouch for holding SKY Magazine and safety cards (would have been the seat back in front of me, but I was in a bulkhead seat). The items I place there are my passport and ticket, my cell phone, and my eyeglasses hooked over the side of the pouch (one arm of the frame is in the pouch and the lenses and rest of the frame are draped on the side of this pouch).

B) After the small (plastic bag/no tray type) breakfast is served and consumed, I add into the center of the pouch, the apple (wrapped inside a plastic bag), and on top of the apple, the used OJ cup and inside that cup the very small used yogurt cup (with spoon and plastic wrap). The two cups and apple are dead smack in the center of the pouch.

D) I wake and discover that my eyeglasses are gone (as are the oj and yogurt cup and trash inside the small cup but the apple is not removed). I take the entire contents of the pouch and spread them on the floor. I find all my other personal objects, but no eyeglasses. I look underneath my seat, around my seat, in the pouch of the person next to me and under her seat. She asked me what happened, and I explained my eyeglasses were missing. After confirming that they are nowhere to be found around my seat, I go to the back of the plane to speak with the flight attendants and to go through the garbage to look for my eyeglasses.

E) I explain situation to flight attendants. At first they say that eyeglasses must be at my seat. I assure them they are not. They double check and speak with the neighboring passenger who confirms that my eyeglasses are missing and that I looked everywhere. I explain to the flight attendants that this is an extremely important situation because I cannot drive my car without my glasses, so i must have them by the time I get to my final destination.

F) We (me and two flight attendants) don plastic gloves and dive into the trash searching. In the 4th mini-dumpster searched, one of the flight attendants finds my eyeglasses (covered in OJ and yogurt, but intact). Flight attendants all are very apologetic for throwing away my eyeglasses and offer to clean them for me. I insist I will clean them and I also explain that we only narrowly averted a catastrophe and that no flight attendant should throw out items from a passenger who is sleeping without confirming that the items are trash or the passenger okays it. They are all apologetic, but I remain angry about the situation but grateful for the dumpster diving help.

G) A flight attendant comes to my seat and asks if I would accept skymiles for compensation for my inconvenience and asks me if 5,000 miles is okay it is the most she can give me. I say I do not know what is correct compensation, but i will not reject anything she wants to give me. I make clear I do not know if 5,000 miles is adequate compensation and I will decide later whether I view it as enough or not. I also tell her that all flight attendants should be notified not to throw out passengers belongings without checking with the passenger first.

H) At this point, the passenger one row behind me and across the aisle from me with whom there had been no interaction at all, rips into me and tells me I am acting inappropriately and I should accept the flight attendants apologies and offers of compensation and tell them all is okay. She says that everybody makes mistakes and that everybody understood why I was angry, but that I am being inappropriate in telling the flight attendant to tell all other flight attendants to not throw away passengers' belongings and making the point that I do not know if 5,000 miles is adequate compensation. I tell this busybody that I am in too angry a mood to decide what is adequate compensation for having to dig through the trash to get my eyeglasses and there is no reason I should have to decide now. She insists that my anger is being imposed on everybody around me because they have to witness the obviously very upset flight attendants groveling for my forgiveness and my rejection of them. She says I should just tell the flight attendants that all is forgiven and end the situation. She insists I am being way too mean since I did get my glasses back and everything is fine now.

I) The passenger seated next to me (a stranger too but also full witness to my exchanges with the flight attendants and the other passenger accusing me of creating a toxic atmosphere) says to me she does not agree with the passenger scolding me and I have every right to be as angry as I am.

I still have not decided whether I think 5k skymiles is adequate compensation. I also do not feel bad for telling the flight attendants that they should never throw away a passenger's personal belongings without checking with the passenger. While this situation could have been an understandable mistake if it were possible to mistake my eyeglasses for garbage or my eyeglasses had been near the garbage (empty cups) that were also in my pouch (but not near my glasses), that was not the case here. I also did not go after the flight attendants. All I did was try to get my glasses from the garbage and go back to my seat. The flight attendants came to me to ask to give me compensation for their mistake and asked me to forgive them and accept 5k as compensation. Once I had my glasses and told two separate flight attendants to make sure no other flight attendants throw away passengers personal belongings, the ONLY exchanges AT ALL were initiated by flight attendants and they were all excessive apologies and requests that I accept skymiles as compensation. At that point, all i did was not accept the apologies and also make clear that I was unsure if 5k miles was enough for the inconvenience suffered (the garbage was very gross to go through and I went through 1.5 dumpsters on my own).

So, was this a DYKWIA moment? If not that, was I a rude or crude passenger? By the way, the dumpster diving could have gone into the gross things passengers do thread, and I would have had to plead guilty, but if you needed your glasses as badly as I need mine, you would have been right there in the trash with me (the flight attendants volunteered to do it themselves instead of having me do it too, but the fact of the matter is I did not trust them at that point, and I wanted to make sure the trash was very thoroughly gone through). Fortunately, they were found before getting to the last several dumpsters.
You didn't do anything wrong.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

As upsetting as I am sure this was, The glasses were found and 5K seems fair. Making a statement that infers that yoj are not sure if it is adequate could come across as DYKWIA.

With that said, the other passenger should have refrained from getting involved.

It sounds like an accident and tbe FA'S seemed apologetic. You may be overreacting just a little.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:39 pm

They acknowledged they made a mistake, apologized for it, helped rectify it, and offered the maximum compensation they were allowed to offer. You should have been more gracious and just moved on.

Cheers,
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
You may have been right in how you felt about the compensation, but really no need to go into it on the plane with the FA. I would have thanked them for the help and made a single state,ent about how it could have been avoided as you did. Then later escalate it.

Having to put on rubber gloves and dig through multiple trash bins is pretty extreme, and worth much more than 5k miles. You went above and beyond to help remedy your situation. But you have to realize what can be accomplished on board. No point making a scene or asking for more there, just wait until you land and deal with it then.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Dl destroyed my son's stroller cup holders and I was compensated. I'm sure glasses are worth is more than 5k miles
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:23 pm

Seems to me OP handled the situation well. The FAs knew they erred big time to throw away a passenger's glasses from the pouch and were trying to pressure him to resolve it with 5,000 miles so he wouldn't get home and decide to file a complaint.

Last edited by Tizzette; Jan 24, 2013 at 9:05 pm
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Do I think you are a DYKWIA? No, if so you would have ordered the FAs to dig through the trash until they found the glasses.

Do I think you were a rude and crude passenger? Honestly don't know. I guess it depends on how your anger was coming out. I would have had to hear it to determine my thoughts. Obviously someone did think it, so it may be a borderline case.

Glad you found your glasses and agree that they should not have thrown them away.

Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:38 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Y'all don't need to keep copying that whole post - makes the page realllllly long.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
The passenger behind you was being more of a DYKWIA.

Do I think your behavior was appropriate? No.

First of all, I don't keep any of my personal items in the seat-back pocket. Even if I had to, I wouldn't leave a ticket, passport, etc. and I wouldn't leave my glasses out of it's case.

The FAs assisted you with finding the glasses, apologized several times, offered to clean them, and offered 5k miles which is the most that they could do. I'd be appreciative of their efforts to recover the glasses. If I was in that case I would've told the FAs to sit down because I would've handled digging through the garbage carts myself.

As to the "don't pick trash up unless the passenger consents to it" or something along that line, I think the FAs should be able to pick up trash. Obviously if they see something that isn't trash they will not take it and put it back, but for a pair of glasses they could not have seen/realized it was that and accidentally thrown it away. In this case, the FAs apologized and tried to correct it as much as they could.

Also, for all we know, the passenger next to you could've handed the trash to them and not seen the glasses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.