Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX DL Agent: "You can't SDC for the next JFK flight becaue you're in New York"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX DL Agent: "You can't SDC for the next JFK flight becaue you're in New York"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
LAX DL Agent: "You can't SDC for the next JFK flight because you're in New York"

Well, not exactly those words. But in effect that's what the agent told me.

Was booked on a morning LAX-JFK flight but work got crazy and I couldn't take it. I drove to LAX in the evening to (hopefully) SDC for an evening flight. The agent typed in my info and said, "We have you boarded onto your booked flight this morning so I can't re-book you." While the LAX agent I was standing in front of believed I was in Los Angeles and not New York, the system didn't. He had to call God or somebody to get it sorted out. When he was speaking to whoever he said lines like, "No he's not a ghost" and "I checked his I.D. several times."

The agent got it fixed, but couldn't figure out how it happened. He speculated that somebody typed in the wrong PNR number at a Kiosk, didn't look at the printed boarding pass, the TSA checker was phoning it in and they don't check IDs at boarding.

At least "I" didn't get upgraded. As a FO I never get UG'd on the LAX-JFK run and I'd be a bit tiffed if my impostor did.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Apr 13, 2011 at 8:13 am Reason: sp
Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: DL PM; Co Gold; PC Plat; Hhonors Silver
Let's see if you get miles for your morning and evening flight!....Atleast we can hope for you.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:03 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
The probability of someone typing in an incorrect PNR and accidentally getting one that was to the same destination as their original seems very low.

IMO, I would chalk this up to another DL IT issue.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Did you check in for your morning flight? Maybe the ticket went to a used status if you checked in for the early flight but did not get unchecked in.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
This happened to me before on a JFK-YUL flight. It was a mess trying to get it figured it out, but they did in the end.

I bet a sloppy GA accidentally printed out your BP and scanned it when trying to fix another person's situation.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
Did you check in for your morning flight? Maybe the ticket went to a used status if you checked in for the early flight but did not get unchecked in.
I did OLCI and had a printed boarding pass for the original flight. But I never boarded. It was that boarding pass that got me passed TSA to the SC to sort this out.

I've checked in for a missed flght before, arrived at the airport later and they just re-booked me to a later flight. There was no "you boarded that earlier flight."
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I thought you could only SDC for an earlier flight than your ticketed flight?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:58 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
I thought you could only SDC for an earlier flight than your ticketed flight?
You can SDC to any flight on the same calendar day as your original flight. Earlier or later it doesn't matter as long as it is the same calendar day.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by TTT
You can SDC to any flight on the same calendar day as your original flight. Earlier or later it doesn't matter as long as it is the same calendar day.
The caveat to that is that later flights can fill up between when you miss your original flight and when the 3 hour window to SDC to them starts, so there is some potential risk involved, depending on scheduling and loads.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
here's my guess for what happened: the scanner at the gate wasn't working for the morning flight and they were boarding by typing in seat numbers instead... somebody fat-fingered it. and there's probably a guy who really took the morning flight that shows as not boarded who is upset today about not getting his miles
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by gte157q
there's probably a guy who really took the morning flight that shows as not boarded who is upset today about not getting his miles
OR whose return has been canceled....
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
here's my guess for what happened: the scanner at the gate wasn't working for the morning flight and they were boarding by typing in seat numbers instead... somebody fat-fingered it. and there's probably a guy who really took the morning flight that shows as not boarded who is upset today about not getting his miles
Very likely.^
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Likely the suggestion concerning the non working scanner is correct, heres mine:

3 months ago had a LAX-ATL booked, didnt make it to the airport for it. Upgrade cleared at gate. Needless to say I was surprised when miles, MQM credit, and "T/V" appeared in my history on DL.com
Me thinks someone flew in my seat and enjoyed it!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:29 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

. . . . . somebody fat-fingered it. and there's probably a guy who really took the morning flight that shows as not boarded who is upset today about not getting his miles
Please add the following to the FT Delta glossary:

Somebody fat-fingered it: When the scanner at the gate isn't working and they board by typing in seat numbers instead, and the wrong seat number is entered!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA/1k
This has happened to me a few times, usually in SFO. Once the person at the front wouldn't let me SDC because she said I was on the earlier flight. When I pointed out that the earlier flight was still in the air and I was standing in front of her, she got on the phone with someone and 45 minutes later, I was given a boarding pass. Apparently there is some kind of function which just marks all checked-in-people as boarded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.