Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MQM Rollover Program- 2010 to 2011

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 100Tbps
I don't see DL accounting for the source of each mile in the rollover, just whether or not you achieved the next tier, then anything above it and below the next tier goes with you into the following year.
I believe the speculation on this revolves around the line item now in the Account Activity page:

incl. Medallion® Qualification Miles (rolled over): 24,596

This would be the accounting for the source that has people worried (angry, confused, fill in your emotion of the moment)
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
There's a long discussion about this here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...10-2011-a.html
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
I think DL will "reroll" whatever miles you have beyond those needed to qualify for your elite tier.

Why? Well first, as has been noted, keeping track of the two totals would complicate things massively and lead to a lot of confusion and argument.

Second, DL wants to give us an incentive to keep flying after hitting a threshold. Say I roll over 20K , then fly 45K the next year. If you can't reroll, I'd finish the year with 65K EQMs, but roll over nothing because this year the 15K surplus I finish with is smaller than the 20K I rolled over last time.

So we'd be back to the old situation DL introduced rollover to get away from: no reason to keep flying after 50K EQM unless I can hit 75K.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by 100Tbps
I interpret the quote at the beginning of this thread:

... any MQMs earned above your Medallion qualification level at the end of the year will automatically roll over to your MQM balance for status qualification the following year ...

to mean the 24,596 miles from 2009 helped you achieve PM in 2010. Now you're a PM, so anything above 75,000 miles will roll over. I don't see DL accounting for the source of each mile in the rollover, just whether or not you achieved the next tier, then anything above it and below the next tier goes with you into the following year.
That is exactly how I see it. I can't imagine of any other logical or feasible explanation here, like the ones that others have tried to fathom. If it's not this, there will be, no doubt, a revolt by hundreds of thousands of SM members - and Delta may be dumb but it's not stupid, it doesn't want that. <Rant On>Instead of dealing with that, it can keep squandering time and money to put the proverbial lipstick (purely cosmetic, vapid changes) to the proverbial pig (the extremely buggy and limited functionality, anti-customer-built, delta.com). And, we all know that Dullta sure loves its two pigs on life support (delta.com ad DeltaMatic), despite them being a few decades past their life expectancy, and is going to not only put a lot of lipstick on them, but is also going to dress 'em up in a nice little pink dress, and even glue on some ribbons for good measure.</Rant Off>

Seriously though, this is the only really logical explanation.

The rolled over miles are "used up" to qualify for status.

Say someone rolled over 40K miles. Was PM at the time. Earned 10K more miles, became DM. Those 40K rolled over miles were *used.* Anything earned past the new DM level must be rolled over, there is no possible excuse not to do so.

The only case when the rollover would not roll over is if one did not earn a new status level in a year. Say one was already DM. Rolled over 10K. Earned 200K more. Then only 200K would roll over, not 210K, as the 10K was rolled over previous year and was not used to acquire any higher status than at time of rollover - i.e. it was not "used" and thus won't be re-rolled-over.

How and why would anyone think it would be any different? I just don't see the logic behind any other "interpretation" of this.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Since no one seems to know for sure, and Delta isn't being very vocal on the issue here, we're all wildly speculating on the implications one way or another.
And the good news is, we'll all know for sure on January 1...but why should that stop any of the wild speculation, it's too much fun.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
And the good news is, we'll all know for sure on January 1...but why should that stop any of the wild speculation, it's too much fun.
All the arguments and speculation offered just a month ago can be repeated.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...10-2011-a.html

Perhaps the Mods will care to merge these threads?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
There's a long discussion about this here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...10-2011-a.html
3Cforme, maybe you'll have better luck than I did earlier today when I pointed that thread out.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
That is assuming a website that works in conjunction with policy...

Who wants to bet on 1/1/11 we will see a new thread: MY ROLLOVER MILES SAY ZERO

-=tg=-
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:16 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Originally Posted by RealHJ
The only case when the rollover would not roll over is if one did not earn a new status level in a year. Say one was already DM. Rolled over 10K. Earned 200K more. Then only 200K would roll over, not 210K, as the 10K was rolled over previous year and was not used to acquire any higher status than at time of rollover - i.e. it was not "used" and thus won't be re-rolled-over.

How and why would anyone think it would be any different? I just don't see the logic behind any other "interpretation" of this.
I would think that re-qualifying is "gaining a new status". Even if you qualify for Diamond, roll over 25K and don't fly a mile next year, you would "use up" those 25K to qualify for Silver for the next year.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Marriott Platinum
I am betting that the rollover miles that came forward this year were the miles counted first towards status. If you flew 20k miles and carried over 20k miles the rolled over miles were there on 1/1/10 and the 20k earned miles were subsequent so your rollover 15k miles on the earned miles would carry forward. Just my $0.02
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Every one of my rollover miles was earned. DL does not say I had to earn them in the current calendar year. I fully expect everything over 125k to rollover, regardless of when I earned it.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:19 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
We have an answer

Got this e-mail Fri.

To me, this means our 2011 MQMs will rollover into 2012 as well. The first part is about 2011 the second is 2010. I am sure he only meant to say our mqms will roll over into 2011, but...
Also unlimited means if you have 375k mqms you are DM for 3 more years period.

Thanks Jeff!

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to serving you in 2011.
LEARN MORE

ShareThis

Hello Mr. G50,

As the year draws to a close, we want to thank you for your business and remind you of all the benefits you enjoy as a SkyMiles Medallion® member.

For example, we are the only airline that offers:
Unlimited Rollover Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) so you can keep any MQMs earned above your Medallion threshold.
• Choice Benefits so you can pick the benefit most important to you.
• Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades on all Economy fares, including Award Tickets and Pay with Miles Tickets.
Plus, in 2010, we:
• Added Delta Sky Priority™ to speed you through the airport and provide more convenience along the way.
• Expanded the number of Preferred Economy Seats by up to 40% so you can choose from more aisle, window and exit row seats.
• Eliminated Award Ticket redemption fees, expanded Award availability systemwide and introduced new mileage redemption options, including merchandise, gift cards, car rentals and hotel stays.
• Provided a guaranteed minimum 100% mileage accrual on all published Air France, Alitalia and KLM flights, and the ability to redeem Systemwide Upgrades on KLM and Air France flights.
Coming in March 2011, we'll mark our 70th year of proudly calling Atlanta home. Stay tuned for more details as we celebrate our hometown and all the benefits and services we offer Atlantans like you, including our two-class cabins, wide-body aircraft, priority boarding, nonstop service to more than 355 worldwide destinations, 50+ Delta Sky Clubs, a global loyalty program and more.

So keep flying, and we'll continue to serve up the benefits. Visit delta.com/medallion to see all of your Medallion benefits and for all travel needs.

You're the reason we fly,

J. W. Robertson
Vice President - SkyMiles

Learn More ›
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
One of my colleagues called Delta on Thursday the 23rd and was told that the rollover miles WOULD include the miles that were rolled over from the year before. Of course, I've had several instances where Delta employees told me several different things.

Originally Posted by mnbp
Perhaps I am mistaken, but there seems to be differences of opinion on this board as to how MQM Rollover will work for this the second year of the MQM Rollover program.

My assumption is that 2009-->2010 Rollover MQMs will not be included in rollover for the 2010 Medallion program year.

My reference (the home page for the 2010 Medallion Program):
https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...es_program.jsp - click on the Rollover Miles tab.

This post offered as food for thought for those who's MQM Rollover plans would vary based on whether 2009 Rollover MQMs count in the calculation of 2010-->2011 MQM Rollover.

Has anyone from DL said either way how 2010-->2011 MQM Rollover will work? If such comments have been posted, I've missed them - sorry.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:07 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by mfullmer
One of my colleagues called Delta on Thursday the 23rd and was told that the rollover miles WOULD include the miles that were rolled over from the year before. Of course, I've had several instances where Delta employees told me several different things.
I received an e-mail that confirmed that ALL MQM will roll over, regardless of the year that they were earned.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:03 pm

It would be nice if Delta would tell us what the program rules/changes/benefits for 2011 will be. Am I 'misremembering', or hasn't the announcement usually been made by now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.