Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MQM Rollover Program- 2010 to 2011

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

MQM Rollover Program- 2010 to 2011

I just spoke to a representative on the phone. They told me that Delta Airlines has not issued whether or not they will be rolling over MQMs from 2010 to 2011.

This is the 3rd person I have spoken with and they have all given me different answers.

Does anybody know definitively whether or not this program will be available for next year?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
T&C of the SkyMiles program states they can do whatever they want (more or less) but to discontinue the program with no advance notice would be a PR disaster.

I could see one year an announcement (probably November <grumble>) to say "this is the last year MQMs in excess of your current level can be rolled forward.

So say they made such an announcement today...that would allow the rollover to happen this year, and anything earned next year happens the old-fashioned way. They only people who get screwed are those that earned 250k MQM, etc.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:13 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I can only hope you are right. Hate rollover MQMs almost as much as I hate MQM promotions.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
There must be only a tiny number who get so many MQM that they can roll over twice. I recall a couple of posters who mention they're in the situation. From DL perspective would you not want to hold on to those outliers who manage to accumulate more than 250,000 MQM in a given year. I find it hard to imagine that they'd want to restrict these people while letting more modest MQM rollover to continue. Anybody who does all that in one year probably will continue to do similar things. That makes money for DL.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:24 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
There must be only a tiny number who get so many MQM that they can roll over twice. I recall a couple of posters who mention they're in the situation. From DL perspective would you not want to hold on to those outliers who manage to accumulate more than 250,000 MQM in a given year. I find it hard to imagine that they'd want to restrict these people while letting more modest MQM rollover to continue. Anybody who does all that in one year probably will continue to do similar things. That makes money for DL.
I am one of them unfortunately; should end the year with about 310,000 mqms. I can tell you I would MUCH rather just start from scratch every year, not have any BS promos, and have the only mqm associated bonuses come from class of service (F/J or M+)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I did not actually express my own preference but I agree that the consistent very frequent flyer would be better off without rollover. It has had no particular affect on me but it probably has had more on DL but increasing fliying of people who've just passed a threshold and don't expect to make the next one. I'd love to delve into their statistics on this; it should be quite interesting. Nobody has followed them, so maybe carryover was more a political decision than a rational economic one.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
...I agree that the consistent very frequent flyer would be better off without rollover....
Sure, the super-frequent fliers would be better off without rollover, but for every DLATL777 with 310k MQMs each year, there must be another 100 like me who rack up 100k - 120k MQMs, and another 1000 who rack up 60k - 70k MQMs, etc. And in the aggregate we impact the bottom line more than any one super elite. There are or should be other programs like White Envelope (I assume it is still ongoing) to take care of the super elites.

If DL cancelled rollover later than Q1 of the year it no longer applied, it would indeed be a PR disaster. In any event, I am quite sure it will apply for 2010 as it is posted all over DL's web site as a 2010 benefit, e.g.:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...es_program.jsp
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ance/index.jsp
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by DLATL777
I am one of them unfortunately; should end the year with about 310,000 mqms. I can tell you I would MUCH rather just start from scratch every year, not have any BS promos, and have the only mqm associated bonuses come from class of service (F/J or M+)
+1!
-RM
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:36 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Delta can't kill MQM its a benefit for the 2010 program, if they discontinue it it would have to be for the 2011 program
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:04 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
I can only hope you are right. Hate rollover MQMs almost as much as I hate MQM promotions.
I likey roll over and I love the promos! Just makes getting my status a creative process I don't care if Delta has promos from Timbuktu - I will go to Timbuktu to get the promo - LOL....
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:44 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM
+1

I'm in the same boat on rollover. Will likely end the year with around 325K MQM's with 162K of those from rollover. Regularly put over 125K BIS miles on DL each year so I would be all for no rollover as it has the potential to cyclically saturate the DM ranks with PM's who accumulate ~100K MQM's each year alternating between PM and DM every other year.

Only real benefit right now is I could double dip on another airline for status but based on my home location it doesn't make much sense since DL has the best routing and availability.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:52 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Keep roll over. Just give us another reason to keep going after 125k. DM+ or more choice benefits.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:16 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Another +++ for the rollover.

I'm retired and always flying on my own dime. It made me crazy to lose those left over odd miles at the end of the year.

I love the roll-over. PLEASE hear me, Delta.

And yes, I'm sure there are lots more people with a few extra miles over silver, gold or plat than people with some extra over the higher levels. I'd guess most of these people appreciate the "running start" the roll-over permits. A fairly classic bell-shaped curve?

Romelle
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by padirescu
Regularly put over 125K BIS miles on DL each year so I would be all for no rollover as it has the potential to cyclically saturate the DM ranks with PM's who accumulate ~100K MQM's each year alternating between PM and DM every other year.
If you don't mind me asking, what's your success rate on eligible upgrades this year?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
My fingers are crossed that rollover will rightfully be killed. Also wish they would rid us of all MQM other than BIS. Bring back some integrity to the Medallion program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.