Wiki Posts
Search

How bad is Delta, really?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How bad is Delta, really?

I've heard a lot of stories about how hard it is to use Delta Skymiles, now that NW has merged with DL, but I'm curious as to what the Delta gurus think about this.

Some background - back in 2005, I had almost never flown NW, and I had accumulated only a few thousand miles. Then I started on a gig where NW was about the only choice, so I started using all the FT tricks, and in a few months I had reached Gold and banked another 100K or so miles. During this period, I tried many dummy bookings, my interest being premium travel to Europe. As I recall, I was very discouraged, since I could never seem to find any standard availability.

Fast forward to 2007. I had another gig, and again it was NW as the carrier of choice. With promos and all, I was piling away the miles at a pretty good clip, ultimately winding up with just about 500K. So, instead of thinking I was just spinning my wheels I did some serious FT study from the guys who really know the system.

The end result was a whole bunch of WBC tix to Europe in 2008 and 2009. I always got the flights I wanted, and had no trouble combining NW, KLM, DL, AF, etc. None of the flights were solo (i.e., just me). Very enjoyable.

The bottom line is that for someone who doesn't know how to do it, finding award seats can be very daunting. However, there are lots of folks around here who know how to make things happen.

So my question is - is it really as bad as people say it is, or are we just hearing from the 'great unwashed' who would be having problems no matter what?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta, United
No washing needed. Using the miles is easy, damn easy, real easy. Getting an award ticket for the miles most want (low) is hard, damn hard, real hard.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yes, it really is that bad.

I've been checking NYC-BCN for August (two passengers) in both Y and J. DL has zero "green" days in August for the outbound and four for the return. This is with PM status. With no status on CO, they offer 11 days for the outbound, and 16 for the return.

For NYC-LHR in J in November, it's even worse. Zero outbound days and two return for DL. CO has options for 28 different days for the outbound and 20 for the return.

NO COMPARISON!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It can also be hard....to get the schedule and routing you want, even for medium and sometimes high. Long multiple connections and forced overnights (hotel costs) show up in a lot of award tickets, as well as very early or very late flights. Is a ticket from MSP to LAX, for example, worth a 6 am departure and several long connections--assuming you don't take the ten or minus seventeen connection time choices that delta.dumb may offer you--to arrive at amost midnight? Or to arrive at your destination in Europe not the next morning but late the second day?

Although to be fair, sometimes delta.dumb does this for revenue international tickets too, even in BE, and doesn't show all logical and allowed connections, specifically the good ones. (No service MSP-AMS. Oh really? I see two or three 330s nonstop every day.)

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 4, 2010 at 1:19 pm
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:01 pm

Most horrible airline in the world.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BigLar
I've heard a lot of stories about how hard it is to use Delta Skymiles
That is not the problem at all. It is TOO easy to use Skymiles: There are plenty of seats out there but you are going to pay 240k for what we were used to at 120k with NW MOST of the time. That said:

1. Domestic use seems to be to be about equal to NW (or close) for FC and Y at low levels. If that is what you use them for you will be fine.

2. TPAC Biz availability (at 120k level) is nowhere near what it was with NW. In-fact I have only been able to get one trip at 120k and the rest wanted 200 to as much as 500k for a single trip. It is abysmal and much worse than NW was. Not sure about Y as I do not use it.

3. TATL. Again, nowhere near the availability at low level as NW BUT it is a bit better than TPAC as AF tends to have quite a few seats at low. Not sure about Y as I do not use it.

My 2cents.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by avidflyer
That is not the problem at all. It is TOO easy to use Skymiles: There are plenty of seats out there but you are going to pay 240k for what we were used to at 120k with NW MOST of the time. That said:

1. Domestic use seems to be to be about equal to NW (or close) for FC and Y at low levels. If that is what you use them for you will be fine.

2. TPAC Biz availability (at 120k level) is nowhere near what it was with NW. In-fact I have only been able to get one trip at 120k and the rest wanted 200 to as much as 500k for a single trip. It is abysmal and much worse than NW was. Not sure about Y as I do not use it.

3. TATL. Again, nowhere near the availability at low level as NW BUT it is a bit better than TPAC as AF tends to have quite a few seats at low. Not sure about Y as I do not use it.

My 2cents.
I've had pretty poor success with domestic awards on DL. For instance, no low for the entire month of September for DCA-FAT.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
It's bad. Compared to what you used to get at NW for award availability, it's really bad.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Delta completely sucks.

There are never any award seats. The FF program is complete crap. Delta should not even be in business.

I would suggest taking all your travel over to WN or CO.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
Very difficult to use miles at the low levels. I suggest that you explore other options if you get another travel heavy gig.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
Delta completely sucks.

There are never any award seats. The FF program is complete crap. Delta should not even be in business.

^^ Yes, Delta is a lousy airline for FF's, they and their FF program do nothing right! I would run (as fast you can) to where the grass seems greener.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
Delta completely sucks.

Agreed. Please, waste no time in seeking greener pastures.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I'm of the opinion that Diamonds and Plats, especially those that post here, are the most disgruntled about DL. International award seats in J? Very difficult, apparently.

Golds like me, who fly almost exclusively domestically? Pretty good results in securing 25K domestic award travel, and now that DL has matched UA and others in eliminating close-in booking fees for award tix, it's even better.

Whenever I'm in an upgraded F seat domestically with wifi, live TV and a power port (about 80% upgrade success for me this year, and even when not successful, I'm in a great exit or bulkhead seat)...I think very hard about which airline provides better amenities domestically, and I can't come up with an alternative.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I came to DL as a US refugee in Jan 2009. I enjoyed their service in the air, I though their Plat recognition was decent, I got tons of upgrades even when I was Gold - overall a decent airline.

Fast forward to this past January when I tried, for the first time, to redeem Skymiles for two business class tickets to Hong Kong returning from Seoul (with plenty of flexibility and patience) ... and I realized that they are essentially fraudulent.

I'm now back to the *A. With the ANA tool and a little flexibility I had ~5% of the difficulty getting business class worldwide on the *A as I had with Delta.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

DL is a great airline when you consider it's route network and domestic product. They, like many other companies, have a few opportunities to improve. If DL would address the award calendar and swu, they would truly have a world class frequent flyer program. Once the Int J cabins are all converted to flat beds, DL will have an overall product that's hard to beat. The two when combined would make DL the number one choice of many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.