Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Silver Medallion...what does it get you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:03 pm
RCC
Original Poster

Hey Folks....

I was wondering...what does it get you from delta...I will hopefully hit this status by end of the year.....

Thanks,

Ric
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:20 pm

25% bonus on Skymiles earnings.

Small discount on Crown Room membership.

I think those are the only things of interest. You have to be Gold Medallion to even use the special security line that the rest of the herd doesn't get to use.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP;SPG Gold; Priority Club Spire Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Don't they also get upgrades as well as companion upgrades?

Lets not forget the SPECIAL luggage tags!!!
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MastaHanky

I think those are the only things of interest.
Unlimited upgrades aren't of interest? Yes, they are at the bottom of the pecking order but my silver coworker is getting about 50% upgrades, most of them on LUT fares.

Then there is medallion/first class checkin lines where they still exist and let's not forget preferred boarding. Those are actually huge deals.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
I agree. As a recent member to SkyMiles who made SM my 1st year and now GM in my 2nd, making SM that first time was a big deal for me. At MSY, I had preferred boarding as the DL terminal had FC/Medallion status; enjoyed preferred boarding, and got upgraded about half the time (more or less, on mostly LUT fares).

Originally Posted by indufan
Unlimited upgrades aren't of interest? Yes, they are at the bottom of the pecking order but my silver coworker is getting about 50% upgrades, most of them on LUT fares.

Then there is medallion/first class checkin lines where they still exist and let's not forget preferred boarding. Those are actually huge deals.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I'm SM right now (GM probably next month) and I get upgrades about 50% of the time not counting RJs in the mix. I'm almost exclusively L/U/T
Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:29 am

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
Silver Medallion:

-Useless, but very decorative credentials for your luggage
-FC/Medallion Ticket Counter (kinda useless if you use the kiosks or online check-in)
-Depending on where you fly out of and the number of elites in your location, the occasional surprise upgrade to FC
-Boarding privileges if you can get all the numbnuts standing in front of you saying, "duh..what zones did they just call" out of your way
-Preferred seating. Nothing like having the exit row and knowing the exit row speech by heart.

It isn't a totally useless status, but highly overrated.. Guess I am giving NW a shot now. I'll miss that ATL concourse train. I have the recording memorized. "Careful doors are closing and will not re-open. Next stop Concourse C..Concourse C"
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:33 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Smile Silver Medallion status offers good value, if you know how to use it.

Originally Posted by MastaHanky
25% bonus on Skymiles earnings.

Small discount on Crown Room membership.

I think those are the only things of interest. You have to be Gold Medallion to even use the special security line that the rest of the herd doesn't get to use.
No disrespect intended, but as a long time FO the mileage bonus and CRC discount are among the least important Silver Medallion benefits -- to me anyway.

Benefits most important to ME:

1) Upgrades. Since the introduction of unlimited upgrades for all medallion levels, I have been able to upgrade about 80% of the time on non-RJ/shuttle flights. Admittedly, this is in part because I have some flexibility in selecting my travel dates and times to avoid peak business travel times.

2) Access to preferred seating.

3) Access to targeted promotions. As I recall both the recent Great Choices/Great Rewards and IC Ambassodor promotions were "targeted" to Medallion members.

4) Access to SMS representatives.

5) Access to Medallion check in lines and security lines (some airpots usually allow Silver Medallion in preferred security lines, such as DCA and LAX).

So yeah. Not so bad being Silver Medallion (except perhaps for some folks around here assuming that we're 3rd class citizens).
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:49 am

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
You sound kinda bitter as an FO. No offense.... The only thing I didn't like about being an FO was that I wasn't a GM or PM.

Originally Posted by JPoor007
Silver Medallion:

-Useless, but very decorative credentials for your luggage
-FC/Medallion Ticket Counter (kinda useless if you use the kiosks or online check-in)
-Depending on where you fly out of and the number of elites in your location, the occasional surprise upgrade to FC
-Boarding privileges if you can get all the numbnuts standing in front of you saying, "duh..what zones did they just call" out of your way
-Preferred seating. Nothing like having the exit row and knowing the exit row speech by heart.

It isn't a totally useless status, but highly overrated.. Guess I am giving NW a shot now. I'll miss that ATL concourse train. I have the recording memorized. "Careful doors are closing and will not re-open. Next stop Concourse C..Concourse C"
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by PaulLB
So yeah. Not so bad being Silver Medallion (except perhaps for some folks around here assuming that we're 3rd class citizens).
As an SM myself, I see all the PMs and think of myself as a 3rd class citizen.

(The only upgrade I've ever managed to land was an SLC-SMF flight. But I guess that's what I get for having SLC as a home airport. And I'm not complaining...I realize there are many higher-rev passengers than me.)
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by JPoor007
I'll miss that ATL concourse train. I have the recording memorized. "Careful doors are closing and will not re-open. Next stop Concourse C..Concourse C"
DO they still say that? "Next Stop Concourse C?" I know they used to but not sure if they do it anymore.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 2P, SPG Aambassador, Marriot Silver, Hertz Gold
It gets me a lot more than having no status, that's for sure. In fact, I've been upgraded quite a few times. With only 39,000 MQMs I was very surprised to see my name in the #1 spot on the upgrade list from DCA->ATL. Sure enough, at the very last minute my name was called and I had a much more pleasant flight
Old Aug 26, 2004, 2:52 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer
You sound kinda bitter as an FO. No offense.... The only thing I didn't like about being an FO was that I wasn't a GM or PM.

In my world (where after 8 years in college you work 90 hours a week for 4-8 years at $30,000/y before making the big bucks) it is called "Paying your dues"!!.

Similarly to the skymiles hierarchy. The vast majority of PM's were SM's at some point, and I for one remember looking at my watch to time the 24 hour mark (this was before the web-upgrade option) to call Delta and how exhilarating it was when 1/5 or so you were upgraded, as being put on the airport wait list (back then) usually meant nada, zip upgrade for SM's.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Hey, gang, anytime you see the GIDS display offering the masses a chance to purchase a FC upgrade, that's a flight where a Silver Medallion would have been given an upgrade even on a LUT fare.

That happens nearly half of the flights that I have been on, so anyone who states that FO status is worthless is very mistaken, IMO.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
What's my upgrade odds...

I'm a former Gold that was bumped down to Silver after not flying DL much after they changed earniings on LUT (i.e. in my case, corporate) fares to 50%. During my 3 years as Gold, I carefully hoarded segment upgrades, which DL then ditched (losing me 521). I used miles to get my wife a ticket in first for LAX-CVG-CLE over Labor Day; I bought my ticket. What are my odds of being upgraded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.