FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Silver Medallion...what does it get you?
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:33 am
PaulLB

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Smile Silver Medallion status offers good value, if you know how to use it.

Originally Posted by MastaHanky
25% bonus on Skymiles earnings.

Small discount on Crown Room membership.

I think those are the only things of interest. You have to be Gold Medallion to even use the special security line that the rest of the herd doesn't get to use.
No disrespect intended, but as a long time FO the mileage bonus and CRC discount are among the least important Silver Medallion benefits -- to me anyway.

Benefits most important to ME:

1) Upgrades. Since the introduction of unlimited upgrades for all medallion levels, I have been able to upgrade about 80% of the time on non-RJ/shuttle flights. Admittedly, this is in part because I have some flexibility in selecting my travel dates and times to avoid peak business travel times.

2) Access to preferred seating.

3) Access to targeted promotions. As I recall both the recent Great Choices/Great Rewards and IC Ambassodor promotions were "targeted" to Medallion members.

4) Access to SMS representatives.

5) Access to Medallion check in lines and security lines (some airpots usually allow Silver Medallion in preferred security lines, such as DCA and LAX).

So yeah. Not so bad being Silver Medallion (except perhaps for some folks around here assuming that we're 3rd class citizens).