Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Salt Lake City SLC Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Salt Lake City SLC Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by synergistic
I think I've already mostly sold myself on membership, just didn't want to spend the money for a one day pass just to check the place out
If the desk agents aren't busy, tell them you're considering an annual membership and want to see the drink menu. The free booze selections are in there and include at least one craft beer. If they don't fetch the menu for you, they may let you have a quick "look-see".

If qualify for free membership by earning Diamond status on Delta, any remaing months on your paid membership tack on to the end of your free membership.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic
Can anyone update me on the SLC skyclub? My normal route leaves me stuck there on Sunday evenings from roughly 4pm to midnight - I've been spending it at Squatters but would consider purchasing membership if the club is even halfway decent. I need a power outlet and passable wifi, but would much appreciate snacks and alcoholic beverages.

I prefer craft beers, but can 'get by' with Jack and ginger. I'd be content with veggies and hummus, with any other food options just being a bonus.

I would have assumed there would be plenty of more recent mentions of this club, but I'm coming up dry. Perhaps I'm just terrible at searching on Flyertalk? Regardless, I'd appreciate some timely firsthand accounts.
I always find a comfortable area with power outlets. My visits are always around 5-8pm. I've also had 100% great experience with the SC wifi. Even when it seems crowded, I can walk to a different part of the club where it's pretty empty.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG PLAT
The craft beer selection in the SLC SC has actually been pretty good lately. When I went thru there a few weeks ago, the complimentary selection in the SC including brews from Uinta, Squatters and Wasatch. The only drawback of course is they're all only 3.2% alcohol content due to Utah laws.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:52 pm

Well, I'll be through today between 4p and 10p - I'm glad to know there will likely be some decent beers to sample while I'm there. With six hours to kill, the low octane stuff might be a blessing ;-)

I'll be sure to post my newbie impressions whilst I am there.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'm headed for SLC on Saturday; my first trip through there this year.

I've always liked this particular club (Delta's SLC based employees are contenders for best in the entire airline), but they ripped out most of the business carrels at the left end of the room, which I always made use of when my layover in SLC was more than an hour.

For many years, this club had the best and largest selection of beers of any club in the entire system; including large bottles of a Czech import dark beer, Krusovice. This was sacrificed when Delta brought in a management company to operate the club. They have brought back some local stuff.

It will be interesting to travel through SLC for the next few years as they implement their plan to construct an entirely new terminal complex over the footprint of the existing complex.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Great SC location with great staff but I do miss Romeo....oops was thinking MSP

Last edited by Saj8986; Jul 27, 2016 at 9:40 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:37 pm

I've spent the last several hours in the lounge, and overall am content with my membership purchase. The employees were uniformly pleasant and competent (my favorite combination!) and the space itself was quite comfortable. I did get to hear entirely too many whiny children and loud phone conversations, but most were brief and weren't any worse than I hear on planes.

The food and beverage offering were decent - nothing spectacular but more than adequate. Today they had the Leine shandy, Uinta Hefe, Moab IPA, and Miller lite on tap. They also had the Ayinger Urweisse for something like $3 - Ayinger is a great option, and that's an excellent price for an airport. Food consisted of two soups, a few cold salady things (chicken, potato, marinated veggies) as well as a bunch of snackables: raw veggies, lettuce amd basic salad fixings, cheddar cheese, crackers, trail mixes... Cookies were available the whole time, and at some point they brought out brownies and some pink square sweet something.

All in all, a decent experience made even better by a great staff. I do wish there was a bar to sit at, but that's too minor a quibble to hold against them.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hertz PC, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by drchrysler
The craft beer selection in the SLC SC has actually been pretty good lately. When I went thru there a few weeks ago, the complimentary selection in the SC including brews from Uinta, Squatters and Wasatch. The only drawback of course is they're all only 3.2% alcohol content due to Utah laws.
That is actually not true. There is no longer a restriction in Utah on the ABV of beer. In fact I don't believe Uinta even makes a beer that is below 4.0%. Which is a good thing because Utah has some of the best breweries in the country; Uinta being at the top of the list.

But I do agree, the local beer additions are great. Love having Summit on tap at MSP as well.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lloyd7703
That is actually not true. There is no longer a restriction in Utah on the ABV of beer. In fact I don't believe Uinta even makes a beer that is below 4.0%. Which is a good thing because Utah has some of the best breweries in the country; Uinta being at the top of the list.

But I do agree, the local beer additions are great. Love having Summit on tap at MSP as well.
Draft beer in Utah cannot be over 3.2% w/v (4% ABV).
"Utah law limits the sale of full strength (heavy) beer to bottles and cans not exceeding one (1) liter. Thus, the State does not stock or sell heavy beer in kegs, and full strength beer may not be dispensed on draft."
http://abc.utah.gov/laws/law_more_faqs.html
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hertz PC, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by drchrysler
Originally Posted by flyerslc
Draft beer in Utah cannot be over 3.2% w/v (4% ABV).
"Utah law limits the sale of full strength (heavy) beer to bottles and cans not exceeding one (1) liter. Thus, the State does not stock or sell heavy beer in kegs, and full strength beer may not be dispensed on draft."
http://abc.utah.gov/laws/law_more_faqs.html
It's a timing thing. "Heavy" beer can be sold between 11:30 AM and midnight and separate rules in the airport. See below:

"In restaurants with full service liquor licenses, liquor, wine, flavored malt beverages, and heavy beer (over 3.2%) may be served from 11:30 AM to midnight."

"In airport lounges, liquor, wine, flavored malt beverages, heavy beer, and beer may be served from 8:00 a.m. until 12 midnight."

http://abc.utah.gov/laws/law_residents.html
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lloyd7703
It's a timing thing. "Heavy" beer can be sold between 11:30 AM and midnight and separate rules in the airport. See below:

"In restaurants with full service liquor licenses, liquor, wine, flavored malt beverages, and heavy beer (over 3.2%) may be served from 11:30 AM to midnight."

"In airport lounges, liquor, wine, flavored malt beverages, heavy beer, and beer may be served from 8:00 a.m. until 12 midnight."

http://abc.utah.gov/laws/law_residents.html
Regardless of the time of day, you can't get draft beer in Utah that is over 4% ABV. It is really a drag, since there are great breweries here but what is on tap is always the ersatz version. The beer they can sell in grocery stores and 7-Elevens is also only 4%, even though it is in bottles. Even the foreign imports in grocery stores are 4%. I din't know this but they make the watery version of several European beers for the US market in a few states.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
OK. A question for you beer aficionados: Can you honestly tell a difference between a quality craft beer that is at 4.0 (by weight) vs "heavy"? I would think that the content of alcohol would not matter if it is a well-made product.
Also, what is the difference between a "session" beer and the product made normally in Utah? Utah beer is just at the lower end of the session definition, alcohol-wise...
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Passing through SLC for the first time.

I have to say, the SC is less than impressive. Seems rather cramped, especially for a hub. The lack of a view also makes it feel box-like and somewhat claustrophobic.

The tables next to the walkway outside of the club are a much better place to sit, especially since I like to watch the ramp.

Wonder if PP is considering opening a lounge here. Another option would be nice.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by WWads
Passing through SLC for the first time.

I have to say, the SC is less than impressive. Seems rather cramped, especially for a hub. The lack of a view also makes it feel box-like and somewhat claustrophobic.

The tables next to the walkway outside of the club are a much better place to sit, especially since I like to watch the ramp.

Wonder if PP is considering opening a lounge here. Another option would be nice.
Perhaps when the new terminal is built, something will happen. We can always hope.
I've always like that club - used it since the early 90s.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
OK the comments about the staffing - that is great !
Ok the comments about the booze and brunchie munchies - that also is great !

Now the critical issue - with the distances between connections and location of the
ONLY SC in the whole darn airport why didn't Delta consider a roof top club on
the "C" and "D" concourses ?
Imagine what ATL would be like with only one SC - utter chaos and ridiculous mayhem.
MSP has two clubs - DTW three.
The thought here is when visiting a SC it is so nice to relax and have some refreshment
and not having to worry about making the 100 yard Olympic dash to the boarding gate
somewhere else in the terminal maze.

Something else SC's should be built with a VIEW - heck building clubs with
4 walls in dark hole where you can only hear jet noise and ramp tugs doing
dodge-m with baggage carts - boy that is some crowd pleasing design.
You are at an airport build it to see the plane activity - GOT THAT !
Best view is to see your plane parked at the gate and que on the boarding
activity - take a final farewell sip and leisurely walk to that gate.

A thing to consider is having video camera feed to see your flight arrive
unload and load and prepare for departure instead of a button pushing
rotating scrolling menu not giving you the total big picture !
You have a smart phone - common Delta use it features !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.