Wiki Posts
Search

USB ports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
USB ports

Sorry if this is off topic, but the Sky Magazine claims that USB ports are available on the Delta on Demand planes to charge items like IPods. Well, I found the ports (under the seat), but the two times I've tried to plug my IPod in to charge I got nothing. Both times were on domestic 763s.

Has anyone gotten these to actually work?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Worked the times I've used them to charge my Blackberry. Domestic 763 in F. International 757 in BE. Ex-Song 757 in Y.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
I got them to work to charge my Treo Smartphone. I had not read what they were for but I saw them and figured I'd give it a try, and it worked.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM 1MM™, Alaska MVPG75K, Marriott LTTE, United SE, Hertz PC, National EE
Strangely, I've had the same situation occur when attempting to use the EmPower outlet - one time, on a short (~1.5 hr) flight, I couldn't get it to work. But then I used it on another, longer flight.

I have a sneaky suspicion that they have the ability to turn the "power" off to these ports, and maybe you just have to ask them to enable it...
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:01 pm

Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Just like the AC plugs. I'm not sure if there is any correlation between the 2 working. I know it is not related to the IFE functioning as I have had TV and no power.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:06 am
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Not sure about the USB ports, but for in seat power they generally have to turn it on, so if it doesnt work, as an FA and chances are that they forgot to turn it on.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:20 am

I've used the USB ports to charge my BlackBerry before. But I've noticed that the current must be very low as it took most of my transcon to do a full recharge. Plugging into the wall it takes 30-45 mins.

Maybe your iPod just wasn't getting enough juice to actually charge.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by DaDaDan
I've used the USB ports to charge my BlackBerry before. But I've noticed that the current must be very low as it took most of my transcon to do a full recharge. Plugging into the wall it takes 30-45 mins.

Maybe your iPod just wasn't getting enough juice to actually charge.
This is a good point. I have had the same experience. It is enough to operate devices like a BB or Ipod, but doesn't charge very quickly.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by leemaj
Not sure about the USB ports, but for in seat power they generally have to turn it on, so if it doesnt work, as an FA and chances are that they forgot to turn it on.
Good to know.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL DM; US GP; Fairmont PL; HHonors DM; Hyatt GP Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
Help with USB Power cords

I was on a 757-300 last night (ATL-DEN) and drained my fully-charged laptop battery en route, thanks to a month-long pass on Go-Go and a quirky IFE (no CNN, Comedy Channel or ESPN). I tried to use the USB power outlet under the seat and connected the cord to it and my computer's USB port as well. It did not work -- I remained on battery only. Can any of the power users aboard help me out -- what kind of a cord do I need to use or what did I do wrong last night?

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I don't believe laptops can recharge from a USB port. That is primarily for iPods and the like.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
The USB port is used to charge small electronics, phones, iPods, Blackberries, etc. There is no way that the port will charge a laptop.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlynGyn
I was on a 757-300 last night (ATL-DEN) and drained my fully-charged laptop battery en route, thanks to a month-long pass on Go-Go and a quirky IFE (no CNN, Comedy Channel or ESPN). I tried to use the USB power outlet under the seat and connected the cord to it and my computer's USB port as well. It did not work -- I remained on battery only. Can any of the power users aboard help me out -- what kind of a cord do I need to use or what did I do wrong last night?

Thanks!

You mean 757-200 (all the 757-300's are from NW -- no USB ports).
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: DM
There is a 120v plug in the seat (at least in F) on most 757's to plug your charger into. You can't charge a laptop from a usb plug.

Last edited by fmsm; Jan 22, 2010 at 2:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL DM; US GP; Fairmont PL; HHonors DM; Hyatt GP Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
The USB port is used to charge small electronics, phones, iPods, Blackberries, etc. There is no way that the port will charge a laptop.

I probably should have known that -- thanks for the education!! My return flight upgrade has already cleared so I will look for the 120V outlets on that eastbound trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.