Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Platinum Medallion Status Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2002, 2:41 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I would say yes... if you were already a PM, you'd upgrade with PMUs and it would cost you zero miles. And PMs are always first in line for operational upgrades even on lesser fares.
However, if you fail to remake PM next year, the demoted GM has very few 800 MSUs to use.
Old Mar 10, 2002, 5:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
Second biggest bene for PM - booking upgrades on domestic flights more than 72 hours in advance. On my trips out West, I usually book about 6 weeks in advance on a K fare. So like my trip I booked Friday night for late April, I aleady have confirmed upgraded seats on my R/T. For international travelling, it's being closer to the top when waitlisting for upgrade confirmation.

GMF
Old Mar 10, 2002, 9:01 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
I would say yes... if you were already a PM, you'd upgrade with PMUs and it would cost you zero miles. And PMs are always first in line for operational upgrades even on lesser fares.
However, if you fail to remake PM next year, the demoted GM has very few 800 MSUs to use.
</font>
Thanks for the advice. If I only get enough miles for SM in 2003 do they drop me that far or is there a one level per year drop?

------------------
...or passengers swim.
Old Mar 10, 2002, 11:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
My experience a few years back, when I went from 2 years at G and then the next year with only 16 segments, is that I was dropped from Gold to Silver. I don't believe there's an official policy as to this, but I believe its more of a courtesy and thanks for past patronage.

GMF
Old Oct 4, 2002, 6:16 pm

Platinum Medallion runs... is it worth it?

Long time lurker, first post... I am currently Gold Medallion, and I estimate that my flying this year will put me at a bit over 75K base miles. This is as close to Platinum as I've ever been, partly thanks to the current double miles promo. My weekly commute is ATL-Florida, but occasionally I fly to the West Coast also.

Given that this year I will "only" be less than 25K miles from Platinum, and with all the current promos and low fares, it's got me thinking that maybe I can do a few mileage runs and cross the 100K mark. I have considered shuttle runs, ATL-LGW-ATL which is pricing at about $400 now for 8.5K, several trips to the west coast, flying connections every week, or most likely a combination of these.

All the options involve going out of my way, lots of time in DL's wonderful coach product, and maybe some money out of my own pocket (since I commute weekly for work, it would be possible to not have to pay for the mileage runs depending on how I schedule them).

My question to all of you Platinum flyers out there... is it worth it?

My company requires I fly on the lowest fare available, so lately I am only about 60% K and above fares (used to be almost 100% before T fares), and GM at the 72 hour mark gives me an upgrade most of the time. I've not upgraded only a few times, although of course it would be nicer to upgrade at reservation time. I've always cleared a stand-by list also, but I've never tried it on really full flights.

The only real benefit as I see it is the Crown Room access, but depending on how I choose to make Platinum, a membership could be cheaper. Also if DL/CO/NW goes through, who knows what could happen to PM CRC access.

SWUs would be worthless to me, I can't see myself travelling internationally on an M fare.

I almost sounds to me like I already answered my question, but I want to see what you all have to say. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your responses.
Old Oct 4, 2002, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to FT. I think you have answered your own question and have concluded that it is not worth it, particularly given your company's policy re: fares and that you would not be flying M fares internationally. If you decide to go for it, remember that the double mile promotion ends on 10/15. I believe that most bargain fares require a 14 day advance purchase. Given your circumstances, GM sounds fine.
Old Oct 4, 2002, 9:45 pm
cxn

I thought long and hard about a milage run on DL to make Plat. But after seeing upgrades go to waste year after year, I thought against it. I even figured out how to do it from SEA for under $2k, more around $1,500 for 100k base miles . And if you want to know, SEA - BOI and BOI - PDX via SLC each way. In one weekend, you would be able to do

SEA - SLC - BOI - SLC - PDX overnight
PDX - SLC - BOI - SLC - SEA

all for around 150 per weekend. Add on either double base milage or the other promos they were running and you could do it in no time.

So, this year, AA to make EXPlat and SWA to earn another Companion pass for my wife. (only if AA flew SEA - SLC/OAK). $19.00 each way LAS - LAX is going to be fun!

Christian
Old Oct 5, 2002, 7:46 am

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
The best thing about PM is getting the upgrade at time of booking. You can also get a supervisor to "force" you on to a waitlist for F and since you're put at the top of the list then you almost always clear.

The really bad hidden thing: since you're given unlimited segment upgrades you don't accrue segment upgrades during your Platinum Medallion year. That means that if you only make GM the following year you will be starving for upgrade points.

I have no idea why Delta did that. Last time I moved from Platinum to Gold I complained and got nothing.
Old Oct 6, 2002, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

--Flschmp--What did you decide? Are you going to go for it?
Old Oct 21, 2002, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
PLAT MEDALLION WORTH IT ?

I am contemplating making some mileage runs to get to PM this year. As far as I can tell the only benefits over GM is the CRC membership and the 6 Plat Upgrades. Are the platinum upgrades valid on any flight ?? and what class of servise can be upgraded. Can any fare to Europe be upgraded when making reservation ??
Old Oct 21, 2002, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Confirmed upgrade at ticketing, not within 72 hours of flight. Unlimited 800MSUs.

Domestic flight can be ungraded with exception of insULT, while international requires Y/M/B to upgrade.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 2:42 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
*VIP on both planes that still have Airfone.

Access to lounges when on int'l itineraries, even in coach. (Useful at CDG -- no CRC, and a CRC card won't get you into the AF Business lounge.)

A much better chance of getting taken care of during irregular ops or flight cancellations.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CKDGM:
A much better chance of getting taken care of during irregular ops or flight cancellations.</font>
Translation - based on actual experience...

3 hour delay due to mech -

PM - $10 Meal Cert
GM or lesser scum - nada

Mis-connect in CVG due to WX -

PM - $39 Voucher for Radisson on airport
GM or lesser scum - $59 voucher for really scary hotel somewhere in lovely Covington - wish I could remember the name but it has been a while.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 7:47 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
Bottom line, if you are going to fly DL over 60 segments/60K+ miles next year it is worth it. If not, you are waisting your time and money unless you like the prestige of PM.

I always say the good news is I made PM, the bad news is that I made PM.

Travel safe whatever you decide!
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:10 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
That's good advice. Because if you don't make PM for 2004... all the 800 MSU's you earned this year will be lost at the end of the next year, and you will only start out with 10 the following year. You are really penalized if you are a PM downgrading to a GM. That's why I always stay PM, I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.