Wiki Posts
Search

MEX earthquake impact at T2?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
MEX earthquake impact at T2?

An earthquake has struck in Puebla State and is having major impacts in the Mexico City area. I am looking at photos from associates of the airport showing what looks like major damage to the large circular roadway that passes under the facade of T2, where Delta and Aeromexico are based. I have no information from inside the building or airside but inquire if your plans go to or through there later today.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:01 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
7.1, south of the city

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...ar20#executive

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-m...919-story.html

Last edited by TTT; Sep 19, 2017 at 2:15 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Just saw a report that there is damage to the control tower at MEX. The airport is currently closed. DL 365 diverted to SAT.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wrp96
Just saw a report that there is damage to the control tower at MEX. The airport is currently closed. DL 365 diverted to SAT.
I hope everyone on board was able to legally re-enter the USA.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They never exited. No need to re-enter. BTW flight took back off about an hour later.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They never exited. No need to re-enter. BTW flight took back off about an hour later.
Even if they exited US airspace, would there be a need for them to clear customs?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
Even if they exited US airspace, would there be a need for them to clear customs?
Nope. Until the wheels touchdown outside US you haven't left the US. Flights over fly Canada all the time. Frequently JFK-LAX/SFO will over fly Toronto and sometimes a bit more of Canada.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'm seeing major delays now. ATL/MEX:

DL359 Delayed 14 hours til morning and DL131 12 hours.

DL481 JFK/MEX morning flight was diverted to Leon, landed, then an hour later routed back to IAH. Glad that the B752 wasn't stuck in MEX!

DL512 MEX/DTW got out 3 hours late.

DL641 SLC/MEX similar to DTW diverted to Leon, then returned to LAX

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 19, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has a waiver been issued yet for MEX?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:37 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Has a waiver been issued yet for MEX?
Yes.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/advisories/mexico-city-earthquake.html
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Absolutely! I am pretty sure if they are doing okay. I am very concern about those people. Hope everyone will be okay.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:16 am

MEX T2 has no structural damage except for access roadway. Tower damaged though, operations have been relocated to the T2 Traffic control tower temporarily. Flights have returned to normal, with delays and some cancellations expected for today/tomorrow
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
I was in T2 yesterday when it hit. The ramp to the lower section at Gate 63 buckled and the wall behind the AMEX card stand on that ramp collapsed. Some of the drywall was cracked in other places but there was relatively little visible damage to the terminal.

The damage to the control tower that was mentioned above was to the radio antenna that they use to communicate with the aircraft. It was apparently a relatively easy fix.

The damage to the "large circular roadway that passes under the facade of T2, where Delta and Aeromexico are based" was quickly filled with two loads of asphalt flattened and smoothed. A very impressive quick fix by the airport maintenance crew. It was the most impressive damage that I saw. A buckling of the roadway of some 18" to 24" in height and probably 12" to 18" in width.

I didn't see any serious injuries. There was one individual outside that was bandaged "walking wounded" and I saw one young lady carried to an ambulance for apparent heat exhaustion - an injury more related to sitting in the sun after the terminal was evacuated than the earthquake itself.

There were several bottles of liquor lost at the Duty Free shop.

My co-worker hung out at the DELTA Lounge last night while I found a room at a hotel down town last night. My flight to MID was cancelled and re-booked for early this morning.

I have photos and a short video that I'll post later. Got to get some sleep. It's been a long day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.