Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Clarify bag allowance for two segments when purchasing first for only one segment

Clarify bag allowance for two segments when purchasing first for only one segment

Old Aug 8, 17, 12:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle
Programs: DL Carbon
Posts: 228
Clarify bag allowance for two segments when purchasing first for only one segment

Flying domestically from A-B-C. If I buy an upgrade to first on the B-C segment, will I get the first class allowance starting from A?
SeaBridge is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 1:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 813
No answer here since I don't ever have that issue because I have multiple means of checking bags for free.
pharmawalk is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 1:28 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orange County, CA (SNA)
Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Hilton - Gold, Marriott - Dropped
Posts: 767
I think you’ll get away with it, unless there’s a 24 hour+ break in travel. You might find for sure on Delta’s baggage policy page (although it wasn’t clear to me).

(At least that answer while not definitive is a little more consrtructive than the previous!)
tanglin is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 1:33 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 813
Originally Posted by tanglin View Post
(At least that answer while not definitive is a little more consrtructive than the previous!)
LOL - any answer I provided would be speculation.
pharmawalk is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 1:37 pm
  #5  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
Originally Posted by pharmawalk View Post
No answer here since I don't ever have that issue because I have multiple means of checking bags for free.
why would you take the time to type out this sort of response?
pvn is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 1:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Iowa...Delta Charter Diamond, now Gold
Posts: 2,047
I have never flown Delta and when I do fly I don't check bags, so I can't answer your question.
Live4Miles is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 3:17 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,308
Originally Posted by pharmawalk View Post
No answer here since I don't ever have that issue because I have multiple means of checking bags for free.
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
why would you take the time to type out this sort of response?
Only to provoke you?

And why would you take the time to type out your response?
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 3:28 pm
  #8  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
And why would you take the time to type out your response?
It was a question. Usually people ask questions because they're looking for an answer.
pvn is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 3:54 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Posts: 4,636
Not a directly comparable but last summer I was flying LHR-JFK-LAX (all DL metal). I was in C+ LHR-JFK but in D1 (via RUC) for JFK-LAX. At OLCI I was given the 3 bag/70lb limit for D1 instead of the 2 bag/50lb limit for a DM in Y
TheMadBrewer is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 11:51 pm
  #10  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Posts: 280
My understanding is it's based on the class of the longer segment. But no clue what the rule is if the segments are roughly equal. Perhaps you could call Delta and ask?
CommentatusMaximus is offline  
Old Aug 9, 17, 8:39 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Is this a broken fare A-B + B-C, or a single fare A-C?

Are you proposing to use the new paid upgrade for a single segment option?

http://news.delta.com/customers-now-...anage-upgrades
3Cforme is offline  
Old Aug 9, 17, 1:05 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle
Programs: DL Carbon
Posts: 228
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Is this a broken fare A-B + B-C, or a single fare A-C?

Are you proposing to use the new paid upgrade for a single segment option?

http://news.delta.com/customers-now-...anage-upgrades
Single fare - propose to buy upgrade on second segment. Moving to a new state and could use the allowance. DL customer service at first could not comprehend the question, then referred me to website and hung up.
SeaBridge is offline  
Old Aug 9, 17, 1:17 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,345
Originally Posted by SeaBridge View Post
Single fare - propose to buy upgrade on second segment. Moving to a new state and could use the allowance. DL customer service at first could not comprehend the question, then referred me to website and hung up.
So...of course, you used the time honored FT practice of HUACA didn't you?
OHDL1 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 17, 2:17 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle
Programs: DL Carbon
Posts: 228
Originally Posted by OHDL1 View Post
So...of course, you used the time honored FT practice of HUACA didn't you?
Yes, insisted on speaking to supervisor who ruled in my favor. The final answer is - drum roll, please - if one is booked in first class for any segment of a trip, the first class luggage allowance is applied at check in.

Now that I am a lowly, albeit "lifetime", silver, this is useful to know. So long, and thanks for all the fish.
SeaBridge is offline  
Old Aug 9, 17, 2:35 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Originally Posted by SeaBridge View Post
Yes, insisted on speaking to supervisor who ruled in my favor. The final answer is - drum roll, please - if one is booked in first class for any segment of a trip, the first class luggage allowance is applied at check in.

Now that I am a lowly, albeit "lifetime", silver, this is useful to know. So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Oh, no, Delta changed the lifetime language long ago. It's complimentary annual.

As for your luggage allowance, please report back if the passenger check-in system is programmed to use the F allowance or if you had to fight again at the airport.
3Cforme is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: