Community
Wiki Posts
Search

D1 Suites Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I'd be happy to pay a $250 dollar surcharge for the A350 but looking at flights departing SDF in late October, returning about a week later, all the A350 flights through NRT to DTW are $2000-$4000 more expensive than the more convenient HND-MSP-SDF. I really wanted to try out the suites but for that price difference I'll pass.
The surcharge debacle distracts from the fact that DL is charging an absurd premium for the "privilege" of flying on A350 equipment.
IndyHoosier and dmarge18 like this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Aug 23, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
How about the ones who paid? Will they get refunded?

This is yet another example of the power of FlyerTalk, Rene's Points, View from the Wing, One Mile at a Time, and the other blogs. To my knowledge, no mainstream news outlet picked up on this.
Post ergo propter hoc. Correlation ≠ Causation
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
How about the ones who paid? Will they get refunded?

This is yet another example of the power of FlyerTalk, Rene's Points, View from the Wing, One Mile at a Time, and the other blogs. To my knowledge, no mainstream news outlet picked up on this.
I can guarantee you even the blogs wouldn't pick up this one at the first place if it this tweet didn't appear.

Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
After multiple sessions with flexible dates around the end of October/first of November, I finally managed to book my trip to Japan with the return on the A350. It was the cheapest choice within my range of flexibility and it was cheaper than 777 service through either MSP or ATL. If there is a surcharge, it is built into the Z Fare and not visible on the taxes and fees breakdown.

I do have a stay a few extra days but that's not a problem for me especially since on some of the earlier days the lowest fare was 2X what I spent.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL-Don
After multiple sessions with flexible dates around the end of October/first of November, I finally managed to book my trip to Japan with the return on the A350. It was the cheapest choice within my range of flexibility and it was cheaper than 777 service through either MSP or ATL. If there is a surcharge, it is built into the Z Fare and not visible on the taxes and fees breakdown.

I do have a stay a few extra days but that's not a problem for me especially since on some of the earlier days the lowest fare was 2X what I spent.
It is included in the base and specified in the fare rules of the fare. Go through a sample booking, click the fare rules link, and look at the "Surcharges" section --

"AND - ORIGINATING NORTH AMERICA - A SURCHARGE OF USD 250.00 WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL IN AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A350-900 EQUIPMENT. APPLIES PER ADULT. "

Only Z and I fares have the surcharge. D and higher do not.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by LBJ
It is included in the base and specified in the fare rules of the fare.
That's what I assumed but given this was the lowest fare within my flexibility window, I'm happy.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed. The new 77W Polaris J seat is actually pretty sharp and nice for those who both enjoy privacy and space but also like to sit facing forward near a window.
I was able to snag one of the new Polaris J seats EWR-SFO. Great ride, the "suite like space"... I found it very private with the recessed space of the seat back located quite a bit aft of the cubby that extended out along the aisle side. The cubby opened up and there was a mirror on the inside of the door, with a fair bit of countertop space so you could freshen up etc. I didn't find any shoulder jam in either the seated or sleeping position. There are significant differences in the alternating rows with some rows being much better (more footwell space, better layout/larger amount of side countertop space) than others.

Conversely, the DL A350 suites certainly look a lot tighter than Polaris, especially the shoulder space, and the headrest looks very low and recessed back so that looks like it could be quite uncomfortable?

Ultimately though as many have said, the proof will be when folks are flying and reporting back once the aircraft is in revenue service. The $500 surcharge however seems... bizarre. Granted it's bundled into the fare - though this seems to contradict previous DL marketing speak on "product upgrade, not fare upgrade".

If this aircraft ever flies domestic segments (such as the UA 77J) will they charge a surcharge?

I'm already seeing what I assume is a bundled surcharge on other domestic routes that have lie-flat seating versus regular F cabins - consistently the fares are always higher on the lie-flat configured aircraft versus say A320 - irrespective of day of week or flight time or whether the flight is pretty much empty.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SamuelS
I'm already seeing what I assume is a bundled surcharge on other domestic routes that have lie-flat seating versus regular F cabins - consistently the fares are always higher on the lie-flat configured aircraft versus say A320 - irrespective of day of week or flight time or whether the flight is pretty much empty.
DL charges a $50 surcharge for the 75S, $100 for 767ERs/777/and A330, and $150 for the 747 on domestic routes.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
DL charges a $50 surcharge for the 75S, $100 for 767ERs/777/and A330, and $150 for the 747 on domestic routes.
Do we get a rebate on a CRJ100?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Do we get a rebate on a CRJ100?
Add the 739 to the rebate list as well.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Totally reasonable, since you're talking lie-flat vs recliner. Hard to justify an extra charge for lie-flat vs a slightly different lie-flat IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.