Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New delta medallion, flying jfk-vce w wife. Tips?

Old Aug 24, 17, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm sorry to post such a newbie question but I could use tips/experience/help. I'm new to status flying, and have earned delta gold status already this year (good thru all of 2018).

I'm flying JFK-VCE w my wife and I was hoping to make that special in whatever way possible. I booked the trip before reaching any status and am wondering what, if any, benefits I should/could take advantage of. I guess I am not complimentary upgrade eligible? Is that accurate? Can I become upgrade eligible or otherwise get an upgrade? I am open to using points to upgrade within reason.

Details: flight #s DL 474/475. Fare V,X

In addition to Delta status I also have Amex Platinum and Delta Reserve cards and several other lounge/status memberships.

Thank you very much.
Old Aug 24, 17, 5:48 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
No, long-haul international is not complimentary upgrade eligible. Unless you can make Diamond status at which point you can choose 4 one-way Global Upgrade Certificates as a choice benefit. For international mileage upgrade awards, you need a K fare or higher. A V and X fare are the two lowest fare classes (above Basic Economy) and are not eligible for mileage upgrades.
Old Aug 24, 17, 5:49 am

Programs: UA, DL-PM
Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, you are correct...complimentary upgrades generally do not exist on International flights. Others can weigh in on the "using points" approach, but in general, I don't believe that the V,X fares you are booked in can be upgraded with points. Generally, you have to book a higher-price "upgradeable" fare in order to then apply your points and apply for the upgrade. Venice, no matter how you get there, is lovely, so enjoy!
Old Aug 24, 17, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
As GM/SkyTeam Elite+ flying on an international itinerary you and a guest will have access to Sky Clubs and partner lounges on your flight days.. Explore the Sky Club info on delta.com. You can't use most of the partner lounges for arrivals, only departures.
Old Aug 24, 17, 7:20 am

you should also be able to access comfort+ seats 72 hours prior to departure. not sure how it works with a companion though
Old Aug 24, 17, 7:31 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by callaweii View Post
you should also be able to access comfort+ seats 72 hours prior to departure. not sure how it works with a companion though
For Gold the OP should get 1 companion in C+ with them
Old Aug 24, 17, 7:33 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
You can select "preferred" seats on your flights now (the dark blue seats on the seat map). On some aircraft types that may include exit rows, though exit rows on long-haul flights have their pros and cons -- on some aircraft it can get very cold by the exit, and the seat cushion is a bit narrower because of the tray table in the armrest.

If there are any Comfort+ seats left you could select those for free at 72 hours before departure, but it is likely all of the pairs by the window will be gone by that time. Could still be worth checking though.

Other than that you will be eligible to access the Sky Club at JFK (as a SkyTeam Elite+ member flying internationally that day). With your Amex Platinum and Delta Reserve you are presumably already used to that, though if you would otherwise be having to pay to bring your wife into the Sky Club as a guest, that is avoided by using your STE+ status when traveling internationally. On the way back I think any lounge access would have to be with Priority Pass.

You will also have access to SkyPriority check-in, security lines, and boarding, for what that's worth. But no upgrades.
Old Aug 24, 17, 7:54 am

As STE+, you will have access (+1) to the Alitalia lounge in VCE for your return. We were just there a month or so ago and it is a very nice, smaller-sized lounge located upstairs with nice views.
Old Aug 24, 17, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM MM
If you want to make this trip really special be sure to take a water taxi from the Marco Polo Terminal into Venice. It is a bit pricey, but an unforgettable experience. High speed across the lagoon and then onto the Grand Canal.
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerJudd View Post
I'm new to status flying, and have earned delta gold status already this year (good thru all of 2018).
Did you skip Silver?
Corporate status freebie?
Old Aug 24, 17, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. ��
Old Aug 25, 17, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
For international mileage upgrade awards, you need a K fare or higher.
If I'm not mistaken, it's always been YBM for int'l mileage upgrades.
K or higher only for domestic.

Fun fact: even if a domestic segment of an international trip is in K+, you need the entire itinerary to be YBM even if just to upgrade the domestic segment.
Old Aug 25, 17, 11:28 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Delta Dude View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it's always been YBM for int'l mileage upgrades.
That used to be the case, it was recently changed to K or higher.
Old Aug 25, 17, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
That used to be the case, it was recently changed to K or higher.
True, but higher fares require fewer miles to upgrade and permit upgrades on KLM/AF.
Old Aug 25, 17, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
True, but higher fares require fewer miles to upgrade and permit upgrades on KLM/AF.
And VS.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: