Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why is Delta running an ad for Emirates and Qatar in their onboard magazine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Apparently they are trying to make a political statement, but to me it just looks like it's going to draw their customers' attention to these airlines' low fares.

Edit: Please see https://view.imirus.com/209/document/12571/page/14

Last edited by cbn42; Jun 26, 2017 at 7:01 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Deleted

the reality of the advert (posted after my comment) did not match the post.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jun 27, 2017 at 5:46 am
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Simple....Delta is a cash whore with no scruples
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
Photo or it didn't happen (not flying until July!).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Ah yes, I remember seeing this in the May issue of Sky Magazine as well. I wouldn't call this an advertisement, but drawing attention to their low fares could definitely be an unintended yet small repercussion.

I think DL seems to have included enough patriotic and biased language to create more indignation in its readers than make them realize the ME3 have lower fares.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jamiestr
Photo or it didn't happen (not flying until July!).
The current issue is always available online at

http://deltaskymag.delta.com/

In the Magazine > Current Edition

direct link:

https://view.imirus.com/209/document/12571/page/14
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Winner of the Truth Teller of Flyertalk Award, 2017--congratulations!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I saw this inflight and wondered the same thing. I pondered more and thought it more a political ad and asking me to do something about their perceived 'issue'.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:30 pm

This thread would more accurately be titled "Why is Delta running an ad against Emirates and Qatar in their onboard magazine?"

Sure, Delta mentions ME3 airlines' "unreasonably" low fares, but it's not like this is going to prompt people to look up and buy fares they otherwise wouldn't have! People are going to be exposed to ME3's low fares regardless due to the nature of online travel agencies. The ad might make some people think twice about booking a lower ME3 fare, but I'd guess it's more so aimed at voters and policy makers (keep in mind most congressmen fly commercial).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The average consumer does not buy a plane ticket based on politics or emotion strictly price.

If the general (non elite, non av-geek) public could really be driven to outrage enough to boycott an airline United would have ceased operations after the Dao incident

I don't knock delta for taking a stand on this and many other issues they do, I just don't think any of the political Activism US3 is showing will sway consumers in a material way.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Exclamation

Originally Posted by fly747first
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Winner of the Truth Teller of Flyertalk Award, 2017--congratulations!
Oh my.... and it is only Monday!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Keith2004
The average consumer does not buy a plane ticket based on politics or emotion strictly price.

If the general (non elite, non av-geek) public could really be driven to outrage enough to boycott an airline United would have ceased operations after the Dao incident

I don't knock delta for taking a stand on this and many other issues they do, I just don't think any of the political Activism US3 is showing will sway consumers in a material way.
See my post above, but I don't think they're trying to sway readers as consumers. I think they're trying to sway readers as constituents and policy makers. How well do you think it plays if a politician is pro-killing 1,500 jobs per route lost?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ruckzac
The ad might make some people think twice about booking a lower ME3 fare, but I'd guess it's more so aimed at voters and policy makers (keep in mind most congressmen fly commercial).
I would think that if they are trying to reach out to congressmen and other policy makers, there are better ways of doing it than through their magazine.

For every congressman or DOT staff member that sees this ad, several penny-pinching customers will also see it. Some of those may be planning to fly to the middle east, India, or another destination served by the ME3.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
For every congressman or DOT staff member that sees this ad, several penny-pinching customers will also see it. Some of those may be planning to fly to the middle east, India, or another destination served by the ME3.
Sure, but those penny pinching customers are going to find out about those fares anyway! It's not like the ad is going to prompt them to seek out something they wouldn't have otherwise seen.

While most customers will probably choose lower fares for themselves, they may take an entirely different position when it comes to voting and political opinions. There's very strong evidence that voters are driven more by ideology than by their own best interest. In case you weren't sure if protectionism and saving jobs were popular right now, consider who our current president is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.