Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Richard Anderson is new CEO of....Amtrak

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richard Anderson is new CEO of....Amtrak

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Newman55
Amtrak's Guest Rewards used to be really good for getting free tickets (especially if you took the Acela), but they devalued the points system in the past year to be more like the airlines. So, it's already getting to be not worth it.
It can get even worse (and will to be sure)!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Newman55
Amtrak's Guest Rewards used to be really good for getting free tickets (especially if you took the Acela), but they devalued the points system in the past year to be more like the airlines. So, it's already getting to be not worth it.
Exactly, Amtrak Rewards at present is pretty much equivalent to one of the dollars spent frequent flier programs and it can take a while to get to a meaningful point accumulation.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I grew up in Memphis and knew several NWA employees. They were signed off by Satan himself. Ready to strike at the drop of a hat and wouldn't do anything more than required. They would have made the Flying Tigers pilots blush. My mother was on a SEA-MEM flight once and the NWA flight attendants moved people out of the back rows and they sat down and talked after they performed one drink service. They were known as Northworst for a reason.
What?? People actually complained about being moved out of the back row? Wow.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by tvnwz
What?? People actually complained about being moved out of the back row? Wow.
I would depending. If I was in an aisle and had a row to myself and was moved to a middle further up front (or any seat for that matter with others in the row) I'd complain. Same if I was travelling with someone and then we had to sit apart.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
.. I think that, on the whole, he did an amazing job at Delta.

Particularly when compared to the cancer that was Leo Mullin.
That is setting the bar rather low.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Richard Anderson did well with what he had to work with. Delta had solid operations under Anderson - ontime flights, baggage handling, etc. Anderson also found the right balance between investing in its onboard product and controlling costs. The two biggest negatives about Anderson are gutting the frequent flyer program (which lead to his competitors following suit) and too much complaining about the ME3.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I feel for the Amtrak passengers. They have absolutely no where else to go when the "enhancements" start rolling out.
Maybe this will be the NW version of Anderson rather than his DL remake: There will be a great frequent rider program ... with steam engines that are paid for & refurbished.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:02 pm

I think Anderson is very good at fixing struggling companies and getting them back to health, once the company is back in good shape, I'm not sure he's as good at that.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kop84
I think Anderson is very good at fixing struggling companies and getting them back to health, once the company is back in good shape, I'm not sure he's as good at that.
I could see that. That's why you'll usually see one sort of personality at start-ups and once the company is sold or the product has hit the market, a lot of those initial employees move onto the next challenge and are replaced by a totally different type of personality.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I could see that. That's why you'll usually see one sort of personality at start-ups and once the company is sold or the product has hit the market, a lot of those initial employees move onto the next challenge and are replaced by a totally different type of personality.
I think the results speak for themselves with DL...DL had horrible performance and was thought of the quaint Southern airline you'd take to fly to Florida and turned them into a global player.

You can say what you want about the Skymiles, and if the changes are better or worse for you personally but the fact that he took two bankrupt airlines and now has one of the largest market caps in the industry and DL's completion/on time performance were unmatched by any similar airline.

But I think a different style is needed to remain on top vs. what gets you there...and perhaps Anderson knows that about himself...I can't think of another reason to try to take on trying to improve Amtrack!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
I think the results speak for themselves with DL...DL had horrible performance and was thought of the quaint Southern airline you'd take to fly to Florida and turned them into a global player.

You can say what you want about the Skymiles, and if the changes are better or worse for you personally but the fact that he took two bankrupt airlines and now has one of the largest market caps in the industry and DL's completion/on time performance were unmatched by any similar airline.

But I think a different style is needed to remain on top vs. what gets you there...and perhaps Anderson knows that about himself...I can't think of another reason to try to take on trying to improve Amtrack!
What are you talking about? Delta was profitable again before Anderson came and they were flying all over the globe (first US airline to fly to Africa) for many years before he came along. Good grief.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
What are you talking about? Delta was profitable again before Anderson came and they were flying all over the globe (first US airline to fly to Africa) for many years before he came along. Good grief.
Pan Am?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Pan Am?
Yes I should have been more specific and said of the six major US airlines at the time.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Yes I should have been more specific and said of the six major US airlines at the time.
No worries. I think "only major US airline flying to Africa for a long time" (and for that matter, currently, since AA doesn't and UA cut their LOS flights) would work.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787
Richard Anderson did well with what he had to work with. Delta had solid operations under Anderson - ontime flights, baggage handling, etc. Anderson also found the right balance between investing in its onboard product and controlling costs. The two biggest negatives about Anderson are gutting the frequent flyer program (which lead to his competitors following suit) and too much complaining about the ME3.
I think cutting the FFP might also be seen as a positive outside the narrow perspective of those who significantly benefited from those perks. Generally speaking, a very generous loyalty program is the hallmark of a weak brand. A strong brand can get loyalty without having to bribe people to buy the product.

Regarding the comments about the ME3, I think it's neither here nor there. I don't think it really affected his performance as CEO or Delta's as a company. Personally, I don't think he can be blamed for trying to lobby for his company in the public arena.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.