Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Diamond Medallion - no longer getting instant upgrade to Economy Plus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Medallion - no longer getting instant upgrade to Economy Plus?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Ridiculous! Delta clearly states both C+ & 1st "unlimited" upgrades are a perk for those spending huge amounts of time and money each year with Delta.

Using your logic Delta should start charge $5 for bags for everyone but then again the free bag is also a published perk of those who spend to hold the Delta AMEX cards (unless you are saying the AMEX partnership is not bringing value to $DAL shareholders).
"Unlimited" - and once again, the SPACE AVAILABLE is missing from your argument. Delta can AND SHOULD sell what it can. If you want to guarantee it, pony up the cash. If you want to take a risk, risk it. Don't expect ANYTHING for free. Common sense says that with all airlines. I am not entirely convinced that those that are "upset" are spending "huge amounts...of money each year with Delta" I think they are those that are looking for loopholes and something for which they are unwilling to pay.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:56 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Ridiculous! Delta clearly states both C+ & 1st "unlimited" upgrades are a perk for those spending huge amounts of time and money each year with Delta.

Using your logic Delta should start charge $5 for bags for everyone but then again the free bag is also a published perk of those who spend to hold the Delta AMEX cards (unless you are saying the AMEX partnership is not bringing value to $DAL shareholders).
So you're saying DL shouldn't sell C+ at all and those seats should all be reserved for elites?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
My wife who's a non-medallion got a similar offer on an upcoming flight, ridiculously low buy-up for both C+ and first class.

Based out of MSP upgrades can be tough to come by. If I wasn't a DM this year I'd seriously consider moving to another airline. Even PM seems worthless now. I have an old co-worker who's 1 for 16 on first class upgrades this year out of MSP as PM. Even last year on the same exact routes he was over 50%.

I have a flight that was 6 weeks out and first is completely sold out. Yes, I think you can FCM AND hold at least a few for medallions???
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by pvn
So you're saying DL shouldn't sell C+ at all and those seats should all be reserved for elites?
Not at all. Even though not a buyer or seller of $DAL I think they should sell C+ & 1st class UGs.

However, there should be a bottom floor if you will to maintain the value of the elite program (if they are to keep it that is). This would go for any C+ or 1st class UG. For example, a $9.95 1st class upgrade is just too low even for a 1 hour ride.

Now what that bottom price should be I will leave up to others to weigh in on.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:16 am
pvn
Suspended

Yes, just another "keep it expensive enough that they don't sell any so I can get my free stuff" complaint.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
"Unlimited" - and once again, the SPACE AVAILABLE is missing from your argument. Delta can AND SHOULD sell what it can. If you want to guarantee it, pony up the cash. If you want to take a risk, risk it. Don't expect ANYTHING for free. Common sense says that with all airlines. I am not entirely convinced that those that are "upset" are spending "huge amounts...of money each year with Delta" I think they are those that are looking for loopholes and something for which they are unwilling to pay.
As the benefits of a loyalty program approach zero, it ceases to be a loyalty program.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:26 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
As the benefits of a loyalty program approach zero, it ceases to be a loyalty program.
You guys are all still here, though.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by javabytes
THIS!

Think of the impact to $DAL if all dump Delta AMEX cards when MQMs become worthless because elite perks are watered down to nothing.

Those who gripe about "free" perks clearly do not pay attention to the value of the loyalty program and I am not talking SkyMiles but the Medallion program in all it's facets.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Pretty scary to think that anyone on here would balk at $5. If you do, you aren't what Delta is looking for in a customer. You don't bring value if $5 is earth shattering.
I hope I bring value by loyally flying Delta every week. If I need to prove it by ponying up $5 bucks to get a C+ up vs. what used to be given to me as perk then I guess I'm bad guy?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
yes, still loyal and happy but the previous poster made a good point that as the perks approach zero, then not much incentive for me to continue to be loyal.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Yeah, we are still here. Just not as loyal to $DAL as a couple of years ago.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Yeah, we are still here. Just not as loyal to $DAL as a couple of years ago.
My wife is a road warrior like me (doesn't fly quite as often as I do) and just loves SWA. She keeps telling me I'm crazy for sticking with Delta.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:22 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachsideflier
yes, still loyal and happy but the previous poster made a good point that as the perks approach zero, then not much incentive for me to continue to be loyal.
Right, but they're not zero. The complaint here is that "I'm getting enough free stuff for me to continue to buy tickets from delta, but not as much free stuff as I used to get," right?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:29 am

And everyone is still here....complaining, but still here.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pvn
Yes, just another "keep it expensive enough that they don't sell any so I can get my free stuff" complaint.
THIS.

Yet they are all still here with bloviation about their value to the company, and the jaded threats of "it's not working for me anymore". I honestly think DL would LOVE to fire most of these people as customers...they just keep finding loopholes to get around DL-imposed restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.