Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Trashing of Skymiles continues today: Fuel Surcharges for VS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Trashing of Skymiles continues today: Fuel Surcharges for VS!

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by SamOF
You don't call infinitely churnable 90K credit card sign up bonuses easy to earn?
where do I sign up for a 90k mile bonus? That sounds great...
Old May 29, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AA started charging more last year I believe. I know if I pick CX it cost more then AA a t least for F.
Nope - it's likely it cost more because of the Asia 1 vs Asia 2 zone difference (HKG being in the more expensive Asia 2). I redeem AA miles frequently, for myself and helping colleagues. I can tell you with certainty there's no differential pricing for partners.

But on the topic at hand.... This sucks. I had planned to mention both DL and AA status in order to get benefits on both BA and VS (moving to London). Now? Not so sure about that DL status if I can't even redeem on VS...
Old May 29, 2017, 1:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WWads
I don't buy that. I think that DL could tell VS no if it really wanted to. VS needs DL more than DL needs VS.
Indeed. DL just wants to increase its gains from its controlling shares acquisition of VS, and this is a way to do it. It's too bad the USG has been granting so many airlines so many waivers and favors, for the airline mergers and JVs allow anti-consumer collusion by the industry's cartel kingpins (with DL the leader of that pack).
Old May 29, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by whimike
Let's not start spreading misinformation, AA/CX in F and J are absolutely identical in miles required.
Then why did they start making different award charts? One for partners? Thought that was the whole point.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Then why did they start making different award charts? One for partners? Thought that was the whole point.
They've had a different chart for one world partners for a decade. It shows more routes. Miles on same itinerary are the same for CX and AA
Old May 29, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
They have had a OneWorld chart for eons. There are places AA doesn't fly on its own metal, i.e. Middle East, which would not be covered on their own chart. Also, their own chart would have AAnytime award levels which would not be possible on partners.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'm not seeing the absurd surcharge anymore - maybe it was a mistake and it has been fixed?
Old May 29, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by appleguru
Looks like the fuel surcharges are gone now:

Old May 29, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
So it was either an error, or a trial balloon.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Or both.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by appleguru
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-bonus-27.html
Old May 29, 2017, 8:25 am

Different currencies have different values. It's in general not as easy to earn bucket loads of miles at VS. They certainly don't hand them out left and right for silly complaints.
VS miles have to be almost the easiest miles to acquire.
  • Transfer from all major transferable point currencies frequently with bonuses (Amex has had two 30% bonuses in the last year and I think Citi has had one).
  • Churnable signup bonuses with their credit card. No one "per lifetime"
  • Branded US credit card earns greater than 1x on all purchases.

The real critique of VS miles other than the insane YQ fees is for somebody in North American you are pretty limited in how and where you can use them. The earn is easy with VS the burn is much harder.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:35 am

The truth is for all the whining on here it hasn't made any difference to Delta. So until the dollars follow the whining it's really just hot air. So if they want to charge more miles or a fuel surcharge they will until we actually do change to other airlines. And most of us, including me, won't change. (I live in ATL I'm not spending longer getting places just to avoid DL)
Old May 29, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Oops. Perhaps a reminder to anyone looking to book a VS ticket to do so soon before they come back and stay for good.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
The truth is for all the whining on here it hasn't made any difference to Delta.
Ha I actually liked the change. I have not earned on Delta mile in my life and won't anytime soon. Sitting on a pile of VS miles I was looking forward to less competition. Alas they have "fixed" it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.