Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern opinion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
I flew DL Biz from USA to PVG and MU Biz from PVG to USA. MU was better, except for the movie selection and the lack of English subtitles.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by finny52
I fly this route often and as in most circumstances, the value of this award depends upon what you as the consumer prioritize.

The pros:
-For those flying directly to PVG, the direct flight without having to connect in DTW / SEA / LAX is fantastic
-The hard product in J is about as good as there is out there. Especially when then aisle movable arm-rest is down, the seat is down-right roomy (even better by a bit than the DL ex NW 332 / 332

Now for the downsides:
-The catering is not good, even by airline standards, especially if you opt for the western cuisine.
-The service is poor- the staff is not particularly customer oriented, especially compared to other asian carriers, such as SQ, NH, JL, or KE (they do this odd thing where they come with a menu, ask what you like, then you order and they take the menu away)
-The cabin is HOT compared to US carriers which I really dislike
-Sometimes the pilots smoke on the plane and you can smell it all the in the back of the J cabin

In sum, if you value convenience and hard product like I do then MU is a great option. If you value soft product and service, I would look elsewhere. Generally, 80K miles for a direct flight to asia in a 773 seat is a good value IMO.
I fly them frequently and while those issues were common a year ago, they're not so much anymore I'm heat intolerant and the cabin on the777/A330 is kept comfortable I've not experienced smoking in over a year MU made a push to stop that. Food has much improved. Departing PVG used to mean awful meals. DL has made them improve catering, partially because they cater DL flights ex-PVG. The menu presentation is weird, but who really cares about that. The one drawback is that they don't employ enough/any native English speakers.

Note the 777 is 1-2-1 unlike the A330. Thus the post above about seating was on a different plane type.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Lived in China for 3 years. Generally speaking China Eastern is the worst of the 3 major Chinese airlines. I'd avoid them if you have another option. Very poor at service recovery, inflight service isn't particularly good or friendly, food is worse than the other Chinese airlines.

Also, when redeeming award tickets, you have to pay fuel surcharges on MU. You don't when booking Delta's own flights.

Personally I'd try to get to Seattle and connect to Delta's own flight onward to Shanghai. There is usually pretty good availability. You may be able to pick up the connecting flight on Alaska if you leave from Newark.

Originally Posted by mzredhead
Has anyone flown MU (China Eastern) non-stop from JFK to PVG in business class? I can get a reward ticket on Delta for 80,000 miles. Please tell about your experience. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
There are extensive comments on MU Business Class in a thread in the Other Asian carriers forum on FT. Included in it are my comments on a diversion we experienced from PuDong to Hongqiao and the ugly scene that ensued there as pax fought to get to PuDong.

I've never noticed the cabin temp as an issue on MU. That said, I don't notice it on KE either.

Beware narrow body aircraft flying intra-Asia routes like BKK sometimes. That's a real downgrade from the widebodies, and far inferior to KE on ICN-BKK. I did notice smoke from the cockpit on my recent BKK-PVG flight.

Oh, and there's limo service in U.S. gateways and PVG for *all* paid Business pax, unlike say VS which offers limo service in New York and London only to certain high fare classes. I'll be booking the limo service from JFK to the airport hotel we're staying at. Better than the AirTrain and the hotel shuttle. No limo service on award tix, though.

For those paying for J, this is an exceptional value, especially on tickets originating in Asia. We're paying about $2500 for J BKK-JFK-vv and earning around 30,000 MQM's, 6,000 MQD's, and upwards of 50,000 RDM's.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by finny52

Now for the downsides:

-Sometimes the pilots smoke on the plane and you can smell it all the in the back of the J cabin
Does smoking by the pilots happen on the legs to/from the USA? I thought that wasn't permitted?

Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Economy but my review of some of the items that would carry over into your questions.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...omy-class.html
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
There are extensive comments on MU Business Class in a thread in the Other Asian carriers forum on FT. Included in it are my comments on a diversion we experienced from PuDong to Hongqiao and the ugly scene that ensued there as pax fought to get to PuDong.

I've never noticed the cabin temp as an issue on MU. That said, I don't notice it on KE either.

Beware narrow body aircraft flying intra-Asia routes like BKK sometimes. That's a real downgrade from the widebodies, and far inferior to KE on ICN-BKK. I did notice smoke from the cockpit on my recent BKK-PVG flight.

Oh, and there's limo service in U.S. gateways and PVG for *all* paid Business pax, unlike say VS which offers limo service in New York and London only to certain high fare classes. I'll be booking the limo service from JFK to the airport hotel we're staying at. Better than the AirTrain and the hotel shuttle. No limo service on award tix, though.

For those paying for J, this is an exceptional value, especially on tickets originating in Asia. We're paying about $2500 for J BKK-JFK-vv and earning around 30,000 MQM's, 6,000 MQD's, and upwards of 50,000 RDM's.
In order to earn the DL MQM's do the MU flights have to be booked as DL codeshares like on KE to earn full MQM, or can you book directly through MU and just put in your Skymiles number into the reservation to earn?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
In order to earn the DL MQM's do the MU flights have to be booked as DL codeshares like on KE to earn full MQM, or can you book directly through MU and just put in your Skymiles number into the reservation to earn?
MU is group 1. Any MU/FM coded flight earns.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
No. DO NOT book as DL codeshares, because then you'll get RDM's and MQD's as if it were a flight on Delta metal. So your $2600 BKK-JFK-vv Business ticket would earn about 27,500 RDM's for a Diamond Medallion. If booked on an MU code, then same itinerary earns about 57,000 RDM's for a Diamond. In any case, as far as I've seen, the tickets would be much cheaper on MU codes.

Opposite approach to booking KE tickets, because MU is tier 1 and KE is Tier 4 (for now).
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by dburns
Does smoking by the pilots happen on the legs to/from the USA? I thought that wasn't permitted?

Thanks
Yes, definitely does. Not permitted and doesn't happen aren't the same thing, especially in China. On my last JFK-PVG in row 7, I was awakened to the smell numerous times. It was revolting. That will be my last trip on MU for a good while.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:01 pm
Suspended

No. DO NOT book as DL codeshares, because then you'll get RDM's and MQD's as if it were a flight on Delta metal. So your $2600 BKK-JFK-vv Business ticket would earn about 27,500 RDM's for a Diamond Medallion. If booked on an MU code, then same itinerary earns about 57,000 RDM's for a Diamond. In any case, as far as I've seen, the tickets would be much cheaper on MU codes.

Opposite approach to booking KE tickets, because MU is tier 1 and KE is Tier 4 (for now).
Very helpful, thank you!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I believe it has to be both MU codes and MU paper (or at least non-DL paper) to earn RDMs based on miles.

If it matters, you also get MQDs based on miles flown (at a very nice rate).

Still seeing very nice C prices on them. $2.6k RT AI JFK-BKK on the very first random stab for next March.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jul 16, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I believe it has to be both MU codes and MU paper (or at least non-DL paper) to earn RDMs based on miles.
That's right. Good clarifying point. Make sure to book directly with MU or via an OTA like Orbitz that will issue tickets on MU stock. If you are ticketed on DL 006- stock, even with MU coded flight numbers, you would earn RDM's based on dollars not distance.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:05 pm
Suspended

That's right. Good clarifying point. Make sure to book directly with MU or via an OTA like Orbitz that will issue tickets on MU stock. If you are ticketed on DL 006- stock, even with MU coded flight numbers, you would earn RDM's based on dollars not distance.
Just bought an MU J ticket JFK-SIN on Orbitz. Do you know what numbers MU ticket stock starts with?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Delta
Just flew MU JFK-PVG last week in business and both ways were on 777 300ER. The temperature was a bit on the warm side, food in my opinion was not good, service was okay, seat was roomy and comfortable, headphone was a joke in business, rows 6 and 7 are in their own mini section so there is more privacy. Did smell smoke for the only time at about an hour before landing at PVG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.