China Eastern opinion

Old Jan 27, 17, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
China Eastern opinion

Has anyone flown MU (China Eastern) non-stop from JFK to PVG in business class? I can get a reward ticket on Delta for 80,000 miles. Please tell about your experience. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 27, 17, 8:29 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
what date ?
Or what plane type/model is ?
If is the 777-300, it is very good seat.
Staff are nice also.
Old Jan 27, 17, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
I find their on air service good. The one issue with MU is ground handling at PVG. Not the easiest people to deal with.
Old Jan 27, 17, 9:49 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
There was a really good trip report about MU F from PVG-ORD. Might be worth looking at (though seat/meal/service will be different in J).
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...i-chicago.html
Old Jan 27, 17, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was it MU or CZ FC that resulted in the funny but sad review by OMAAT, including staff sleeping in empty FC seats, messing up the FC lavatory, etc.?
Old Jan 27, 17, 10:44 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
I've not flown your particular route, but have flown China Eastern's business class roughly a dozen times in the last year or so.
In my experience, the international business class has been a consistent, competent product.
The domestic version can be "less consistent", but no worries with the JFK-PVG service. That will be their A-game.
Old Jan 27, 17, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Flew them PVG-AKL on their 33E in J.

The seat was actually pretty good IMO. Not the fanciest or newest thing around, but it goes all the way flat, was comfortable to sleep on, and didn't feel boxed in at all. It is 2-2-2, so maybe my experience would have been different if I'd been flying alone.

Cabin service was fine, as was the food. IFE was okay. I was in the 2nd row of the plane didn't experience smoke from the cockpit as some folks have reported...not sure if I got lucky or if there's less of that happening.

Overall, if the price is right, I'd fly them again. You're not going to write home about the experience, but it's a perfectly acceptable long-haul J experience. I would advise some extra connection time at PVG, which is more bearable now that they have a new lounge.

Honestly, I've had worse experiences on DL and AF (though I've also had more opportunities to have good/bad experiences on DL/AF).
Old Jan 27, 17, 11:50 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I have only flown them in Y, but I was pleasantly surprised. Extremely clean cabin, good service, great looking reverse herringbone J (check your plane though), and no experience of smoke.
Old Jan 27, 17, 12:11 pm

I flew ORD-PVG-BKK-PVG-ORD with China Eastern in Business for the holidays and had a great experience. Food was decent, hard product was great and lounges were good. Best part was earning 175% flown miles in Delta MQM's. My ticket was 80k one way.
Old Jan 27, 17, 12:22 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Any comments on cabin temperature on MU? Seems to be an often repeated issue with KE (cabins are too warm).
Old Jan 27, 17, 12:27 pm
C W

Originally Posted by PointsTutor View Post
I flew ORD-PVG-BKK-PVG-ORD with China Eastern in Business for the holidays and had a great experience. Food was decent, hard product was great and lounges were good. Best part was earning 175% flown miles in Delta MQM's. My ticket was 80k one way.
Are you saying you redeemed 80k of some kind of miles for it and also managed to receive MQMs? How?!
Old Jan 27, 17, 12:32 pm
C W

Originally Posted by TTT View Post
Any comments on cabin temperature on MU? Seems to be an often repeated issue with KE (cabins are too warm).
FRA-PVG and PVG-FRA no problem at all. And I am very sensitive to excessive temperature.

PVG-NRT and back on their regional subsidiary Shanghai Airlines was miserably hot.
Old Jan 27, 17, 12:44 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Got 2 one-way J MU Delta Award tickets DPS-PVG-LAX for April @ 80k ea. I can let you know how it goes if you aren't flying before me.

Flying LAX-SIN-DPS on Singapore Airlines J on the way there that I got for a measly 68k (ea) Citi Thank You points transferred into Singapore's KrisFlyer program. I am REALLY looking forward to flying them.
Old Jan 27, 17, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold
I am in the middle of writing up a trip report from a recent YYZ-PVG-SIN trip in I, getting to fly the lovely 773, and then less than ideal 332/333 products, but let me share a few thoughts...

- The MU staff is generally very helpful, friendly, and professional
- The dining on board as mentioned by other trip reports is definitely not on par with the other SkyTeam airlines I've flown in J ( AF, DL, KE ), but isn't horrible.
- The transit zone in PVG is rather bare compared to YYZ and SIN, but the new lounge is quite good.
- The highlight of the trip is the 773 seats - I slept a solid 8 hours on the way home and had zero jet lag.
- IFE is sparse and lacking.

Overall, if you value a comfortable ride and arriving fully rested - it's a great value. If you want to be "wined and dined", you'll be disappointed.
Old Jan 27, 17, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
I fly this route often and as in most circumstances, the value of this award depends upon what you as the consumer prioritize.

The pros:
-For those flying directly to PVG, the direct flight without having to connect in DTW / SEA / LAX is fantastic
-The hard product in J is about as good as there is out there. Especially when then aisle movable arm-rest is down, the seat is down-right roomy (even better by a bit than the DL ex NW 332 / 332

Now for the downsides:
-The catering is not good, even by airline standards, especially if you opt for the western cuisine.
-The service is poor- the staff is not particularly customer oriented, especially compared to other asian carriers, such as SQ, NH, JL, or KE (they do this odd thing where they come with a menu, ask what you like, then you order and they take the menu away)
-The cabin is HOT compared to US carriers which I really dislike
-Sometimes the pilots smoke on the plane and you can smell it all the in the back of the J cabin

In sum, if you value convenience and hard product like I do then MU is a great option. If you value soft product and service, I would look elsewhere. Generally, 80K miles for a direct flight to asia in a 773 seat is a good value IMO.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: