Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Penalty for SDC when same fare class isn't available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Penalty for SDC when same fare class isn't available?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets
Waiving a change fee if the same class of service is unavailable isn't one of those unwritten policies, but ymmv. If the same class of service isn't available, same day standby is always an option.
The website did it last time I used it. The fee to do confirm (since DM no $50 fee applies) was the difference between fare class booked and lowest fare class available. No change fee included. Phone agents have always when doing SDC not charged change fee to purchase higher fare to SDC.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
So can you confirm Widgets no memo or DL NET change in policy?
Check delta.com for the most up-to-date policies. I've personally never heard of waiving the change fee just because it's the day of departure. Same day standby exists for a reason.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The website did it last time I used it. The fee to do confirm (since DM no $50 fee applies) was the difference between fare class booked and lowest fare class available. No change fee included. Phone agents have always when doing SDC not charged change fee to purchase higher fare to SDC.
Res could have different rules. At the airport, same day standby is the only option if the class of service isn't available and the passenger wants to avoid a change fee.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by davetravels
But, I would expect that it would have to have a corresponding fare that has a zero day advance purchase requirement.

If your ticket is in V class, and V isn't available for SDC, and X class is available - - BUT - - the lowest fare available for purchase today is B, I don't see how they can upfare your ticket to X that isn't for sale today, if the X fare requires a 14 day advance purchase.
You only need the availability in that bucket, not the ability to buy a brand new ticket that day in that bucket. You can buy up from U to L (for example) if there is L inventory even if L is no longer for sale for new tickets.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:37 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
You only need the availability in that bucket, not the ability to buy a brand new ticket that day in that bucket. You can buy up from U to L (for example) if there is L inventory even if L is no longer for sale for new tickets.
So, how do they determine what the new fare is if an L fare isn't for sale "today"?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by davetravels
So, how do they determine what the new fare is if an L fare isn't for sale "today"?
Either use historical DoPurchase pricing or use what an L fare would be if available that day but for advance purchase restriction.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:00 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Either use historical DoPurchase pricing or use what an L fare would be if available that day but for advance purchase restriction.
Doesn't make sense to me that, that would be allowed. If everyone did this, then, they could always buy the cheapest ticket for that day, and SDC later to a fare that doesn't exist anymore.

Seems to me that, this is a similar gripe of the Delta apologists who post here about the SDC policy for all F fare buckets, in that, you can buy the cheapest fare available on any old flight that day, then, 24 hours in advance of travel, just choose ANY flight you want!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Check delta.com for the most up-to-date policies. I've personally never heard of waiving the change fee just because it's the day of departure. Same day standby exists for a reason.
Now you sound Delta-like ;-)

I have, as I am sure any number of Diamonds, most times had reps wave fees and allow SDC for just the fare difference. Not as good as the 1st class any open seat for SDC but workable under SDC 4.0 current rules.

SDS works but like SDC more for certainty and btw yes I know the rules on Delta.dumb very well!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ruckzac
Which in many cases would be cheaper than $200 penalty + fare difference on a one-way, which highlights the absurdity of the policy of charging a $200 penalty for a SDC where the same fare class isn't available.
I don't know about "in many cases." The difference between an advanced purchase v fare and a same day first class fare could be steep.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Now you sound Delta-like ;-)

I have, as I am sure any number of Diamonds, most times had reps wave fees and allow SDC for just the fare difference. Not as good as the 1st class any open seat for SDC but workable under SDC 4.0 current rules.

SDS works but like SDC more for certainty and btw yes I know the rules on Delta.dumb very well!
Yeah, waivers can happen all the time. They're called "waivers" because they're an exception, not the rule. That's all this thread was asking, I think.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't know about "in many cases." The difference between an advanced purchase v fare and a same day first class fare could be steep.
Using ITA, I looked at a calendar of coach vs. first fares over a one month period for nonstop flights from ATL to MSP. On average, the lowest first fare was $123 more than the lowest coach fare on then same day. The min difference was $89 more for first and the max difference was $195 more for first.

Coach nonstops ATL-MSP:

First nonstops ATL-MSP:

Granted other markets may be different / ymmv, but I think it's a fair (pun intended) assumption fare difference between first and coach is often less than $230.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Yeah, waivers can happen all the time. They're called "waivers" because they're an exception, not the rule. That's all this thread was asking, I think.
No. Since DL no longer is willing to have a real input on FT "we" were looking for inside confirmation that no official change to SDC has happened. I now know nothing has changed from my sources so this thread can closed as FT does not support rumors! ^
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ruckzac
Using ITA, I looked at a calendar of coach vs. first fares over a one month period for nonstop flights from ATL to MSP. On average, the lowest first fare was $123 more than the lowest coach fare on then same day. The min difference was $89 more for first and the max difference was $195 more for first.

Granted other markets may be different / ymmv, but I think it's a fair (pun intended) assumption fare difference between first and coach is often less than $230.
But you need to look at same day first class fares compared to advanced purchased coach, because that is the fare difference you would be paying for a same day change to F. A search on Delta.com right now for ATL-MSP shows:

Lowest price for same day one-way first class ticket: $486
Lowest price for one month advance purchase coach: $173 (or $153 for an E fare)
Difference is $313 Could be significantly more or less depending on the flight (there were one way same day F fares for as much as $1k and one way advanced Y fares for as high as $550)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
When I am staying on the exact same flight, and just want to change my fare to a higher basis, I have NEVER paid a change fee, whether it was from an X fare to an H fare or from a V fare to a P fare (or whatever).

I've done this between two coach fares and also from coach to domestic first without change fees numerous times without even any mention of change fee. Not saying that it is a policy, but it sure felt like it.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

However it's not been a "waiver" it's been policy. I've never tried at the airport, but I know reservations has never charged me or anyone else (including no status) a change fee to upfare to the next available fare class in order to SDC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.