Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using laptop gate to gate (2lbs or less)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

The delta website clearly states:

Which Devices Can I Use During All Phases Of Flight?
You may use the following devices from gate to gate on Delta and Delta Connection flights:
• laptop computers*

PED use on the ground and during takeoff and landing should be limited to small, lightweight devices less than 2 lbs. These devices should be of a size that could easily be secured in a seat pocket without exceeding the designed weight capacity of 3 lbs. including all contents of seat pocket (safety card, Sky magazine, airsickness bag) and not impede emergency egress to the aisle.

I have a macbook which weighs two pounds and usually do not have trouble with FAs - though I do run into an incompetent FA every once in a while, like I did today on a Delta connection flight who claimed laptops are never allowed.

Has anyone else run into this? mine was absolutely close minded and refused to listen to reason. I went to the cockpit once we landed and got to the gate and told the pilot the FA was incompetent and refused to check her FA manual- and he kept thanking me for my business (which made me a bit happier) but wouldn't really comment on what was or was not allowed even when I showed him the website
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Has anyone else run into this? mine was absolutely close minded and refused to listen to reason.
Sadly you aren't going to win that argument. Comply and write in a complaint via the web site afterward.

I went to the cockpit once we landed and got to the gate and told the pilot the FA was incompetent and refused to check her FA manual-
I don't think pilots act in the capacity of the FA's supervisors.

and he kept thanking me for my business (which made me a bit happier) but wouldn't really comment on what was or was not allowed even when I showed him the website
The DYKWIA thread is -> that way
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Why the hell is the FA incompetent for telling you to follow the rules? You clearly posted that you know your device must be stowed as it is not less than 2lbs.

And even if it was, it was still a judgement case. Do you thinks the FAs should have a scale available to weigh a questionable device.

And you went to the cabin to complain that you are a DYKWIA? I would love to hear the comments between the pilot and the FA about you. Would bave been a laugh.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by exwannabe
And you went to the [captain] to complain that you are a DYKWIA?
Right, like, what was OP hoping would happen, for the pilot to summon the FA and publicly scold/humiliate her for not knowing the rules?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Also it's DL Connection which can have different rules then DL.

FYI I've always heard them say all laptops must be turned off and stowed. Specifically stating only tablets and in some cases notebooks.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
If you really want to use a full laptop computer gate to gate, I recommend getting a Surface Pro 4. In the few times a flight attendant has said something about discontinuing laptop use for takeoff, I simply detach and stow the keyboard, turning it into a tablet. It's a fun parlor trick - they typically blink and walk away without saying anything
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I went to the cockpit once we landed and got to the gate and told the pilot the FA was incompetent. . . .
I think incompetent is stretching it, a little. Perhaps, misinformed . . . Needs a refresher of a rule or two, but, incompetent?

Now, maybe if the FA didn't know how to open the door, or work a seat belt. . . . or, dare I say . . . pour a bottle of Woodford properly . . .
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by davetravels
I think incompetent is stretching it, a little. Perhaps, misinformed . . . Needs a refresher of a rule or two, but, incompetent?

Now, maybe if the FA didn't know how to open the door, or work a seat belt. . . . or, dare I say . . . pour a bottle of Woodford properly . . .
I think OP needs a refresher on the weight of his laptop.

Weight: 2.03 pounds (0.92 kg)
2.03 is not "less than 2".
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by javabytes
I think OP needs a refresher on the weight of his laptop.

2.03 is not "less than 2".
Doesn't everything weigh less in space?

Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Doesn't everything weigh less in space?

I don't think jetliners fly that high also mass increases with speed due to relativity, so...
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
I don't think jetliners fly that high also mass increases with speed due to relativity, so...
Sorry, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:04 am

I have the same laptop.... Yes it's super lightweight and seems like it wouldn't be a hazard, but rules are rules, and when it comes to safety/the safety of others I will follow them blindly.

Okay I lied, I'm really bad at putting my phone into airplane mode.

I think the FA was just trying to do her job, which is to ensure the safety of all passengers. I'm sure that one day soon apple laptops will be well below 2 lbs and then you might have a better argument. I stow mine in the seatpocket in front of me (in it's case) and have never had problems, because it weighs less than 3 lbs.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by BenA
If you really want to use a full laptop computer gate to gate, I recommend getting a Surface Pro 4. In the few times a flight attendant has said something about discontinuing laptop use for takeoff, I simply detach and stow the keyboard, turning it into a tablet. It's a fun parlor trick - they typically blink and walk away without saying anything
+1 to this, best investment I ever made.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
my big issue is that she refused to look into her flight attendant manual and claimed there was no two pound rule.... but look at rule carefully

should be limited to small, lightweight devices less than 2 lbs. These devices should be of a size that could easily be secured in a seat pocket without exceeding the designed weight capacity of 3 lbs.

"should" and so for the purposes of "should" instead of "shall" or "must" 2.02 and 2 are fine. Also, I believe my laptop is lightest around and so if this is not allowed then no laptop is allowed?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:47 am
Original Poster

and the other thing that irked me is that she would not believe that the FAs on my last 30 flights let me use it without issue (well one guy had an issue but the lead FA saw him and told him to go look it up - and then he realized it was permitted). She kept saying that couldn't have been on Delta b/c FAA blah blah blah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.