Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Labor disruptions (AF/KLM) in Europe, late July to early August 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Labor disruptions (AF/KLM) in Europe, late July to early August 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
What da heck is - Self loaded cargo?!?
Ham Sandwiches
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Industrial action - surely it is Industrial Inaction?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Or it's one really special bottle of wine in a Michelin starred restaurant.

Originally Posted by davetravels
What's that?!?

When in Amsterdam, ya gotta eat with the locals!

These two juxtaposed posts are causing a tear in spacetime and fundamentally changing the balance of the universe. (Although I kind of like getting something out of the FEBO anytime I'm in Amsterdam.)

When I first started reading the Delta forum here, I actually thought this was what people were talking about with "FEBO" and I couldn't figure out the context with first class meals.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I've never understood why AMS doesn't install an outlet of FEBO in the terminal - probably because it would cannibalize all the other mediocre food and beverage offerings

As for why someone would fly AF - I actually really like their J experience, particularly when you get a BEST seat (which is equivalent to Delta's best J seats). The food and beverage is consistently good, and I like many of their small touches (high quality paper towels in the lav, small bar set up in the galley mid flight, thoughtful amenity kits, excellent food and beverage spreads in most of their lounges*).

AF's labor relations remind me a lot of NW. The employees hated the management with a fiery passion, but that didn't necessarily translate into bad customer service - sometimes, "your enemy's enemy is your friend", and I've found some of the most generous customer service gestures can come from disaffected front line employees . Other than flight cancellations from strikes, I've found all my interactions with AF ground staff and cabin crew to be superb.

* (except 2E-L for some reason).
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by BenA
I've never understood why AMS doesn't install an outlet of FEBO in the terminal - probably because it would cannibalize all the other mediocre food and beverage offerings
There is already a 'frituur' in the terminal: Vlaamse Frites including with 'kleffe hap uit de muur'/soggy chunk out of the wall options
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:56 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I like the bami met kip and the kaas souffle (if they still have those) .
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond;AA Gold; UA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Plat
Suggestions on who to call?

We have a flight on Tuesday (02AUG) from LHR to CDG as part of a TATL trip. This flight has been cancelled 3 of the 3 days of this strike so far, so things aren't looking good.

So my questions are:

Do I call DL, the issuer of the entire trip? Ticket is 006 but AF flight number, not a DL code share. Also, none of the flights are actually on DL metal...its all VS, AF, KL. I assume none of this maters since its all on a Delta issued 006 ticket.

Does my (and my wife's) SkyMiles status mater with Air France when it comes to any IRROPs rebooking? or will we end up being treated like chattel?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I'm pretty sure that if you attempt to call AF from the US, you'll get Delta anyway. I hope some others will confirm....
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PowerFlyer
We have a flight on Tuesday (02AUG) from LHR to CDG as part of a TATL trip. This flight has been cancelled 3 of the 3 days of this strike so far, so things aren't looking good.

So my questions are:

Do I call DL, the issuer of the entire trip? Ticket is 006 but AF flight number, not a DL code share. Also, none of the flights are actually on DL metal...its all VS, AF, KL. I assume none of this maters since its all on a Delta issued 006 ticket.

Does my (and my wife's) SkyMiles status mater with Air France when it comes to any IRROPs rebooking? or will we end up being treated like chattel?
DL handles all AF reservations within the US. Doesn't matter if it's on DL or AF ticket stock. Who is the ticket bought from? If DL then DL waiver covers you. Since I know of no AF/KLM fare that would include a VS flight I assume it was DL. Thus as long as the DL waiver covers the AF flight you can rebook. If it's an award note that while DL can force inventory on their own metal, they can't force a partner to open up inventory. So even though you may be covered by a waiver, if there's no all Detal metal options or inventory on partners then you'll have to keep what you have. If flying to the US, there's most likely both all DL metal, and very possibly VS metal options.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jul 29, 2016 at 8:19 am
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'd call Delta. If you're continuing the same day to the USA, they can likely reroute directly from LHR. If you're stopping over in Paris, I'm not sure what they'll do. Maybe route you on a connection via KL/AMS. There seems to be less disruptions on KL.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Call the Delta DM desk. They provided great assistence for me during the last strike.
For AF you are a ST E(+)
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Call DL. If Paris is your destination, try to get a DL operated TATL flight into CDG.

I wouldn't be real eager to rebook through AMS or using KLM right now as KLM is experiencing a strike of some of the ground staff. Note that KLM provides ground handling for DL flights at AMS. If you must, at least try to avoid checking bags and do OLCI so that you go directly to passport control and security at AMS, avoiding much required contact with KLM staff there.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:19 pm

Call DL. If Paris is your destination, try to get a DL operated TATL flight into CDG.
I don't think ANY airline operates TATL flights from LHR to CDG!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PowerFlyer

So my questions are:

The person said that thus was part of a TATL trip. I assumed that there's no LHR stopover, just that routing for a convenient schedule, fare class or award availability, or a desire to try VS and their lounges.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:58 pm

The person said that thus was part of a TATL trip. I assumed that there's no LHR stopover, just that routing for a convenient schedule, fare class or award availability, or a desire to try VS and their lounges.
I assumed that the trip originates AT LHR with a connection at CDG to the USA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.