Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding JFK-LAS May 20, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Not true. It even says on the kiosk when you bid that you won't be bumped until you've discussed options, because the kiosk certainly doesn't display other routing options. You always have the right to say "No" even after saying you'd be added to the list if the alternate options given to you by the agent are unacceptable to you.
+1
Old May 25, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Watching - would love to see the OP fill us in on arrival time to the gate, paid vs. miles ticket and if a voucher is in his wallet for $800.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by appleguru
At the very least, you're entitled to the $800/ticket that you "volunteered" for as a VDB credit (in delta dollars).

I would agree though, given the circumstances, that you should ask for IDB as IIRC they have to make you an offer and you have to accept (in person, agree on alternate travel voucher amount, etc) before VDB would come into play. Never heard of them using the OLCI "offer" without consulting you first.

IDB would be cash... I believe up to 4x the ticket price, up to a max of $1350 for your delay.
This is incorrect. As noted above. The DOT rule is pretty clear. It doesn't define "volunteer". All the rule requires is that DL seek volunteers before IDB. DL sought volunteers, at least OP and his GF, they volunteered and so they weren't IDB.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Not true. It even says on the kiosk when you bid that you won't be bumped until you've discussed options, because the kiosk certainly doesn't display other routing options. You always have the right to say "No" even after saying you'd be added to the list if the alternate options given to you by the agent are unacceptable to you.
This poster never lets facts get in the way of his high horse.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Often1
This is incorrect. As noted above. The DOT rule is pretty clear. It doesn't define "volunteer". All the rule requires is that DL seek volunteers before IDB. DL sought volunteers, at least OP and his GF, they volunteered and so they weren't IDB.
They indicated a potential willingness to volunteer for $800, pending discussion of what alternative travel arrangements they would be provided. Based on the description here, that discussion never happened.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Again with the story...

On May 20, 2016 Silver Med. & girlfriend flew JFK to Las Vegas nonstop on a Delta Boeing 737-800 aircraft. Two separate roundtrip tickets paid on Delta AMEX credit card (revenue). 23 hours before the flight I checked in my gfriend and I. When I was checking in a message popped up asking if I would like to volunteer my seat due to the flight being oversold. I wanted more than 800.00 but that was the max. Did it to both people, however I didn't know if Delta would need the seat? Got to JFK and checked in a bag. The bag made it on the plane, but both passengers didn't. Arrived at the gate close to 20 minutes before departure time-10:40AM (11:00AM). Gate door and aircraft door was open as the GA was working the flight still. Saw some people in the jetway and scanning boarding passes, but the gate area was pretty clear. Went up to scan boarding passes and a weird noise sounded. The GA said couldn't get on the flight. No idea why? I showed both tickets, but clearly Delta gave up our seats. Planes these days are full and there was a big conference out in Vegas.

I knew we had volunteered so I asked for the money-800.00 The GA played dumbed so I asked for a redcoat. The redcoat told me to contact Delta Customer Care. Basically I knew that I was getting screwed so I asked when I could get on the next flight. Delta tried to charge me additional money to get on another flight. After arguing Delta waived this (shouldn't have charged in the first place) As for trying to reroute everything was oversold. I spoke with multiple red coats and called the premium line for Delta. I got more help calling Delta than working with the employees at JFK. Yesterday I flew back without my girlfriend. We weren't sitting together on yesterday's flight but someone else sat in her seat. By me saying this gives me more fuel to go after Delta because the airline gave up the seats on May 20. Worst case I am entitled to 800.00. Best case I can get more.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Also nothing is in my Delta account as a voucher or anything.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Discussion did happen. However, it was a heated discussion after the aircraft left the gate and taxied out towards the runway. No volunteer discussion happened and no alternative travel arrangements were made until after the flight left and the gate door was closed.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Is there a possibility that on May 20 the delta flight left with the two seats open?
Old May 25, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by ADeutsch
Is there a possibility that on May 20 the delta flight left with the two seats open?
Highly unlikely for an oversold flight. If that had been the case, they would have just put you back on I imagine. Is there a possibility that DL moved up the departure time and so by arriving 20 minutes before the original departure time, you actually arrived less than 15 minuted before the newly posted departure time (so scheduled departure of 11:00, but moved up to 10:50 or so)? This has been known to happen to help alleviate congestion or if they need a gate or some such. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see it happen in JFK and could explain it all.

ETA: Not saying what happened was right by any means and you absolutely need to file a complaint. You definitely got screwed. I'm just trying to think of plausible explanations for why it happened.

Last edited by WidgetKid; May 25, 2016 at 11:57 am
Old May 25, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds to me like you got screwed. I'd file a complaint with DL summarizing what happened but keeping it shorter and to the facts... just say you checked in the night prior to the flight, checked luggage and went you got to the gate you were involuntarily denied boarding without reason even though it was 20min+ prior to departure and pax were still boarding. I'd mention that your luggage still went on the flight, you were not offered any compensation and was told you would have to pay to get rebooked, and ultimately you arrived over 7hrs later than originally scheduled with little to no help from the JFK agents.

Also file a complaint to the DOT about IDB. They take these seriously.

Looks like on 5/20 your flight was DL428 which was scheduled to depart at 11:05am according to the DL flight timetable and actual gate departure was 10:59am.

Last edited by rylan; May 25, 2016 at 11:59 am
Old May 25, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
This poster never lets facts get in the way of his high horse.
When you say "this poster", are you referring to me as "this poster" or Often1 who I quoted and responded to?
Old May 25, 2016, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all the suggestions and help. Appreciate the advice
Old May 25, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Often1
There is detail missing here. OP says he got an "oversold" message, but flights aren't oversold until more people turn up at the gate than there are seats. He may mean "overbooked" but that is a critical difference and it is an accuracy issue.

OP volunteered, so he was not involuntarily denied boarding. End of that effort. He can complain to DL and to DOT if he wishes. But, DL tracks every keystroke and it has a record of OP volunteering. The moral of the story is not to volunteer if you aren't willing to volunteer.
That's not the way it works. The site (or kiosk) even says so: you aren't taken off the flight until you agree with the GA on the replacement flight.

This is clearly IDB, there was no agreement in advance.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by tpatta
I'm wondering how Delta let your bags travel to LAS without you? I thought that was banned many years ago.
this is only true on int'l flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.