Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding JFK-LAS May 20, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by ADeutsch
If its something major should go to the DOT first. Let the DOT be the judge. It goes to Delta too, but I want to hear what the DOT will do?
It should probably go to both. If in fact it was not IDB (in the eyes of the DOT), then I don't think they can really do much of anything but you might get some form of compensation as a costumer service gesture from DL. Would there be any reason not to send it to DL also?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
That attitude seems to be spilling over to over departments as well. Last week I called the DM line to do a SDC. I had a premium cabin fare and all that was needed was a premium cabin seat to do the change, yet the DM agent pushed back and started arguing with me telling me that was incorrect and I needed the same fare class (this was a P class ticket). I said that wasn't the case and asked if she would please put me on hold and just confirm with her supervisor. Again, she argued back I was I wrong and I asked to please just put me on hold to quickly ask her supervisor, but instead she just flat out hung up on me. That was a first on the DM line. I called back up and the second agent was fantastic and completed my request in less than 2-minutes.

Overall, whether it be GA's or phone agents, there seems to be a downward trend in customer service @ DL.
Did you give her a "1"?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
IME the DL agents at JFK have a much higher ratio of folks that are very rude and customer unfriendly (also true at ATL). I think the GA helped out a standby pax (possibly a nonrev buddy who wanted to get to Vegas) by using the 15 minute rule to deny boarding. This should, however, be traceable. Not that anyone will ever bother to look into it.
If you have sufficient data to make it easy to trace, and report it, there's a reasonable chance they will.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by sethb
Did you give her a "1"?
I always forget to answer the survey at the end of the call..

And usually I HUCA, so when the email survey calls and ask about the "last agent I spoke with" I can never be sure who I'm leaving feedback for/can't leave the "bad" review that would actually be helpful.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When you have a really bad phone agent, you should wait until they hang up first and then give a bad rating. I've had a few try to wait me out, but I just put the phone on speaker and proceed to do something else until they give up.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:22 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When you have a really bad phone agent, you should wait until they hang up first and then give a bad rating. I've had a few try to wait me out, but I just put the phone on speaker and proceed to do something else until they give up.
Maybe playing a recording of a dial tone would get them to hang up sooner.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had a few try to wait me out,
Seriously? Now that's bad....when they KNOW they are being rude.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: DM/3MM
IME the DL agents at JFK have a much higher ratio of folks that are very rude and customer unfriendly (also true at ATL). I think the GA helped out a standby pax (possibly a nonrev buddy who wanted to get to Vegas) by using the 15 minute rule to deny boarding. This should, however, be traceable. Not that anyone will ever bother to look into it.
LAX is also pretty bad but I've seen some improvement lately. I'm not sure why, but SLC isn't that great either (though not at bad as ATL/LAX/etc.) Maybe it's a hub thing. I don't travel through MSP or DTW so don't have any experience there.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
LAX is also pretty bad but I've seen some improvement lately. I'm not sure why, but SLC isn't that great either (though not at bad as ATL/LAX/etc.) Maybe it's a hub thing. I don't travel through MSP or DTW so don't have any experience there.
IME the LAX check in and SC people are great, but the gate agents are more on the grumpy side.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: DM/3MM
IME the LAX check in and SC people are great, but the gate agents are more on the grumpy side.
I agree. And I've seen the LAX check-in people take way more abuse from pax than I see in other cities. The sour GAs there are such a disconnect with the rest of the operation.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
As I read this thread, one thing stands out. Neither GA or any other employee gave them a reason for the denied boarding.

I find it hard to believe they did not give them SOME reason.

Without hearing Delta's side of the story, I am thinking this is 15 minute rule, plain and simple.

Also, if the OP was considering the $800 or better offer, why not show up closer to 30 minutes or more to find out?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:28 pm

The dispatcher can post an earlier ETD on the day of departure. However, the 15 minute cut-off applies to the scheduled departure, not the estimated.

If the flight leaves early without you, you are only entitled to denied boarding compensation if the flight was oversold.

If an airline refuses you boarding before it's cutoff, then you should be eligible for a refund or other negotiated compensation.

Last edited by Widgets; Jun 3, 2016 at 12:37 pm
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets

If the flight leaves early without you, you are only entitled to denied boarding compensation if the flight was oversold.
Does the airline have any responsibility to get you to your destination in this case, or just give a refund?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:38 pm

Does the airline have any responsibility to get you to your destination in this case, or just give a refund?
At least at Delta, the customer would be rebooked on the next available flight. Free confirmed if the class of service is available. Free standby if not.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Widgets
The dispatcher can post an earlier ETD on the day of departure. However, the 15 minute cut-off applies to the scheduled departure, not the estimated.

If an airline refuses you boarding before it's cutoff, then you should be eligible for a refund or other negotiated compensation.
However, a refund or rebooking doesn't help you if you need/want to get to your destination on time. IMO compensation is warranted when someone is incorrectly denied boarding, regardless of whether the flight is full and therefore whether it's an IDB as defined by DOT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.