Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TSA Checkpoint Changes at MSP T1 Beginning 2/16/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Checkpoint Changes at MSP T1 Beginning 2/16/16

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There doesn't seem to be a metal detector in the SkyPriority line, so you can't opt for that when PreCheck is busy and get PreCheck-lite.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There doesn't seem to be a metal detector in the SkyPriority line, so you can't opt for that when PreCheck is busy and get PreCheck-lite.
There is one in the first class/elite/employee line at North.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:10 pm

Question, I fly out of MSP Terminal 1 next Tuesday evening for a 7:50 pm mainline flight, no status. I know Tuesday is one of the slowest days of the week, relatively speaking, but I'm not certain how much Memorial Day weekend will play into things. I was thinking an hour and a half would be sufficient (I don't need to check a bag, though I can if need be). Fortunately, my flight in on Thursday will be fine. Thanks!
Old May 24, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by vike16
Question, I fly out of MSP Terminal 1 next Tuesday evening for a 7:50 pm mainline flight, no status. I know Tuesday is one of the slowest days of the week, relatively speaking, but I'm not certain how much Memorial Day weekend will play into things. I was thinking an hour and a half would be sufficient (I don't need to check a bag, though I can if need be). Fortunately, my flight in on Thursday will be fine. Thanks!
Evening flights are never an issue. Even since the changes, when I have take 5PM or later flights all lines are short and moving quickly. I have Sky Priority and TSA Pre-Check, which is only slightly faster.

I flight out Monday night for a 725 Flight. If I remember, I will report back on the lines.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
This will cost DL three to four million dollars.

I like the idea that DL cares and is trying to do something (after apparently agreeing to the expensive and misguided security redesign at MSP earlier this year, where IMO DL and the MSP MAC should have just said no to TSA), but I fear that we'll pay for this in higher ticket prices.
Where do you get that cost from? Arithmetic would indicate a lot less. (5K/month (guess) * 3 months * 40 people).
Old May 24, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
Where do you get that cost from? Arithmetic would indicate a lot less. (5K/month (guess) * 3 months * 40 people).
One of the local TV station's news programs gave the number; I forget which channel.

There would be hiring costs (including the costs of security/background checks, drug tests, and badges) employee benefits, the employer's portion of social security taxes and workers' comp insurance payments, any overtime payments or shift differentials and holiday pay, etc.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by vike16
Unfortunately their is no apparent rhyme nor reason as to when the lines get bad at MSP.

This past Saturday morning I was on the 7:10 flight to SLC, arrived at 5:30am, the regular line people were told it was going to be 2 hours. Same flight today, and the line was pretty short, maybe 15 minutes. Saturday TSA pre took 30 minutes, today it took about 5.

The more people that are clueless about flying that day slows things down dramatically. One person leaves something in their bag, or something in their pocket, and it slows the whole line down for 1-3 minutes, when 20% of the 200 people in front of you do that it just cost you an extra 40 to 120 minutes to get through the line.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Some media have been reporting that DL will hire 300 people to help TSA for the summer across all airports. Maybe the reported cost is for all of them and not just the 40 at MSP.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Change in checkpoint hours

The TSA checkpoint hours have changed again. Here's the latest:

South Checkpoint
4 AM - 12 Midnight

North Checkpoint
12 Midnight - 6:45 PM

I'm not certain what hours the PreCheck lanes are open but will try to find out. This change (from the last 5-6 weeks of North being a 24-hour checkpoint and South closing at 10 PM) is so new that it took some asking around to pin down the correct schedule. Of course, it could change again at any time, but these are the current hours.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

I checked on this yesterday and found that there actually is a metal detector beside every AIT (Advanced Imaging Technology) screener at both checkpoints.
Old May 30, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
The TSA checkpoint hours have changed again. Here's the latest:

South Checkpoint
4 AM - 12 Midnight

North Checkpoint
12 Midnight - 6:45 PM

I'm not certain what hours the PreCheck lanes are open but will try to find out. This change (from the last 5-6 weeks of North being a 24-hour checkpoint and South closing at 10 PM) is so new that it took some asking around to pin down the correct schedule. Of course, it could change again at any time, but these are the current hours.
Do you know if this is different for today (Memorial Day)? I have a flight tonight.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yohanson
Do you know if this is different for today (Memorial Day)? I have a flight tonight.
I don't know if it's too late for you to get my answer and don't have an unequivocal answer anyway. All I can say is that the checkpoint hours don't seem to vary on a day-to-day basis. They are set for now, until they change them again!

Today will be busy. I like to time my volunteer shifts at MSP For peak travel times but the volunteer office is closed on major public holidays, so I couldn't be there today.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I don't know if it's too late for you to get my answer and don't have an unequivocal answer anyway. All I can say is that the checkpoint hours don't seem to vary on a day-to-day basis. They are set for now, until they change them again!

Today will be busy. I like to time my volunteer shifts at MSP For peak travel times but the volunteer office is closed on major public holidays, so I couldn't be there today.
I buzzed through the North PreCheck line at 6:30 with nobody in line.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by BigDawg23
Evening flights are never an issue. Even since the changes, when I have take 5PM or later flights all lines are short and moving quickly. I have Sky Priority and TSA Pre-Check, which is only slightly faster.

I flight out Monday night for a 725 Flight. If I remember, I will report back on the lines.
Flew out tonight and had absolutely NO ONE in line in the regular South checkpoint, no status or anything. Unheard of.

Or maybe I just need to schedule more flights out of MSP on Tuesday evenings in the future...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:46 am

Went through this morning at the North Checkpoint around 6:15-6:20 with Pre and the only thing holding me up was the time it took me to set things on the conveyor belt and walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.