Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TSA Checkpoint Changes at MSP T1 Beginning 2/16/16

Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM

Next week the TSA will make a number of changes to the location and structure of security screening at MSP Terminal 1. The transition will be phased in over the course of the week, beginning February 15. Travelers should allow extra time during this week and anticipate that the phased movement of equipment means that the screening capacity may be reduced until Friday, when the new checkpoint will be fully operational.

Below is information I have learned from a training session and materials for MSP volunteers. I've tried to be as concise as possible, but apologize that this is rather long.

There will be two main checkpoints, North Checkpoint, at the end of the terminal where the AA and AS checkin counters are located, and South Checkpoint, the former Checkpoint 6 near Delta. North Checkpoint will have 10 lanes; South Checkpoint will have the current six lanes until an expansion in a couple of years. Both checkpoints will have Pre✓ lanes. There will be large Queue Management System (QMS) signs at both checkpoints that will initially display just the name of each checkpoint and later will display wait times for the checkpoints.

Checkpoint 10, which enters airside into the C-G skybridge, will continue to operate as it currently does. Checkpoint 7, from customs and immigration into the G concourse, will continue to operate for pax connecting from international arrivals.

Checkpoints 2 and 4 (current Pre✓) will close. Checkpoint 3 (employees) will close for now but will reopen in a few weeks as the KCM (Known Crew Member) portal; Checkpoint 3 will continue to be an exit from the airside terminal.

At least for now, the airlines have agreed to share joint premier passenger lanes at both checkpoints. I don’t know whether this includes DL FOs, who, until now, have been able to use the all-airline premier lane at Checkpoint 2 but not the Sky Priority lane at Checkpoint 6. As far as I have been able to ascertain, there will no longer be a lane for those who have both SkyPriority and Pre✓.

***Dates to note:
Tuesday 2/16 - Checkpoint 2 closed. North Checkpoint open with four lanes.
Friday 2/19 - North Checkpoint fully operational. Checkpoint 4 (current Pre✓) closed.

***Pre✓ Information
Pre✓ only at Checkpoint 4 through 2/18
Pre✓ only at North Checkpoint on 2/18 and for a day or two thereafter, when it will be at both checkpoints

Checkpoint Hours from 2/19-4/17
North Checkpoint: 0300-1900 daily
South Checkpoint: 24 hours
Checkpoint 10: 0400-1330

Checkpoint Hours after 4/17
North Checkpoint: 24 hours
South Checkpoint: 0400-2200
Checkpoint 10: 0400-1330
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
This has been coming for a long time, but it's extremely disappointing. I've loved the MSP security setup, and I'm sad to see it changing to two large queues. I'm glad I'm not traveling for the next month — hopefully everything will be worked out by then.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder whether DL will change the arrangement of their counters in response so that SkyPriority check in is closer to the DL elite/precheck security lanes.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether DL will change the arrangement of their counters in response so that SkyPriority check in is closer to the DL elite/precheck security lanes.
For the 2 times a year I check luggage on vacation I sure hope so. OP thanks you for the information. Glad I leave Monday.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

That would make a lot of sense, although a case could be made that the current location is closer to midway between the two checkpoints and gives pax access to two options with elite and PreCheck lines.

The current SkyPriority location so close to the escalator is not great in that a lot of non-SP pax step off the escalator and go straight up to try to check in at SkyPriority just because they see lots of Delta signs. If SkyPriority were at the end of the Delta area the non-SP pax might get siphoned off more easily to their appropriate check-in and bag drop areas.

I'm planning to do several volunteer shifts next week and will report back here with any updates or changes that evolve during the week.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The whole thing sounds like a solution in search of a problem. I'm surprised DL didn't pressure TSA more to keeps things convenient for DL HVCs.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I fail to see what the benefit of the new arrangement will be. Is the TSA just moving stuff around because they decided they don't have enough to do?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sethb
I fail to see what the benefit of the new arrangement will be. Is the TSA just moving stuff around because they decided they don't have enough to do?
Fewer checkpoints means TSA can concentrate its staff and flex up and down the number of open lanes more easily.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Good luck MSP with the TSA and their abilities at flexing up and down.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Justin026
Good luck MSP with the TSA and their abilities at flexing up and down.
If it only wasn't a finger geared toward the public, I might wish them luck withe their flexing also. Sadly I think this will be nothing but a flex of a finger.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:43 am

The whole thing sounds like a solution in search of a problem. I'm surprised DL didn't pressure TSA more to keeps things convenient for DL HVCs.
LOL....does that really work?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:27 am
Original Poster

The new configuration adds one lane to the total. Also, 4 of the lanes at North Checkpoint are designed especially for PreCheck, which can use a shorter belt than regular lanes.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Can AA Platinums with Priority access use the First Class lanes? I am flying out of MSP very early Friday (2/19) and trying to figure out how early I'm going to have to get there to avoid the madness. I am pre-check also.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by OHDL1
LOL....does that really work?
DL is the largest tenant at MSP and is likely very involved in all planning at the airport (including the arrangement of the checkpoints). My guess is that the DL counters will be rearranged so that the counters closest to South checkpoint will have a dedicated SkyPriority chute into the elite lane and all other airlines' elite customers will need to use the north checkpoint.

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Can AA Platinums with Priority access use the First Class lanes? I am flying out of MSP very early Friday (2/19) and trying to figure out how early I'm going to have to get there to avoid the madness. I am pre-check also.
There are no "first class" lines at MSP. The new set-up sounds like it will have a priority lane at each checkpoint. This will be for all airline's elite travelers and first/business class customers. If you have AA's priority access you'll be in the same line with the rest of the elite flyers.

Last edited by kenn0223; Feb 14, 2016 at 9:44 pm
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Fewer checkpoints means TSA can concentrate its staff and flex up and down the number of open lanes more easily.
Sure, they're really efficient that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.