Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta at YYZ (Toronto), Time Needed to Transfer Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

Greetings,

I will be flying through YYZ (Toronto) on the following itinerary;

PVG-DTW-YYZ. I land in Toronto at 5:09. The next itinerary is:

YYZ - JFK. The flight departs YYZ at 6:25.

That leaves me with 90 minutes to make the connecting flight. I will only have carry-on with me. Is 90 minutes enough time? Both itineraries are on Delta and were booked separately to take advantage of spectacular pricing ex-YYZ. Thanks all for your help. Also, will I have to pass through YYZ customs or can I go straight to the departure gate at YYZ?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Greetings,

That leaves me with 90 minutes to make the connecting flight. I will only have carry-on with me. Is 90 minutes enough time? Both itineraries are on Delta and were booked separately to take advantage of spectacular pricing ex-YYZ. Thanks all for your help. Also, will I have to pass through YYZ customs or can I go straight to the departure gate at YYZ?
Should be enough time, though most of my transfer experience has been at YUL instead of YYZ.

At YUL, for example, if you are transiting US-YUL-US, you don't need to clear Canadian customs, there is a special transit path that you can take to get to your next flight.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You will need to do pre clearance before the flight to the USA. This usually requires that one check in quite early, IIRC with a T-60 cutoff where sixty minutes puts you at risk of missing the flight.

Can we assume that you won't be checking a bag?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You will need to do pre clearance before the flight to the USA. This usually requires that one check in quite early, IIRC with a T-60 cutoff where sixty minutes puts you at risk of missing the flight.

Can we assume that you won't be checking a bag?
Not checking a bag, just carry-on. Can I check in via the Delta App once I land in DTW from the Shanghai flight?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not checking a bag, just carry-on. Can I check in via the Delta App once I land in DTW from the Shanghai flight?
No idea whether you can use your phone for the boarding pass on transborder flights.

I'd try hard to do OLCI and print a boarding pass.

I also don't know whether there are precheck lanes in Canada.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No idea whether you can use your phone for the boarding pass on transborder flights.

I'd try hard to do OLCI and print a boarding pass.

I also don't know whether there are precheck lanes in Canada.
Thanks. I guess worst case scenario and I miss the flight, I imagine that Delta will put me on a later flight to NYC. Both itineraries are on Delta so I cant see it being to much of an issue.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:08 am

You should be fine with 90 minutes, barring any delays. There isn't a pre-check lane in Toronto, however there are expedited lanes for Global Entry and Nexus. If you are part of these programs you should have no issues. The main issue would be if you land after an international flight(s) and have to go through the regular immigration lanes behind 200 or more people. You will have to clear Canada customs and then clear into the US again (including security) unless something has change recently. I just flew out of YYZ on Monday and for the first time was able to get my boarding pass on my phone. Prior to that I always had to get paper copies. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Greetings,

Assuming you're coming home and this is the end of the ticket, why don't you buy your separate ticket home to NYC from DTW instead of YYZ and skip the DTW-YYZ leg? Obviously, on the outbound, if you purchased a YYZ-DTW-PVG ticket, you need to go to YYZ, but not on the return.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:42 pm

I'd be careful about skipping a final leg on a RT where theree was a particularly good fare. You might get away with it once, but DL could get nasty if you attempt this too much.

The good news is that the OP would get any checked bags in DTW, but the bad news is that IROPs could cause a reroute to YYZ via SEA or elsewhere rather than DTW.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
Assuming you're coming home and this is the end of the ticket, why don't you buy your separate ticket home to NYC from DTW instead of YYZ and skip the DTW-YYZ leg? Obviously, on the outbound, if you purchased a YYZ-DTW-PVG ticket, you need to go to YYZ, but not on the return.
I suppose I can do that but it would probably have to be on a different airline. If I booked on Delta, it would probably be easy for them to cross reference and figure out what happened and possibly revoke the MQM and miles I earned for the trip.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZLMAN
You should be fine with 90 minutes, barring any delays. There isn't a pre-check lane in Toronto, however there are expedited lanes for Global Entry and Nexus. If you are part of these programs you should have no issues. The main issue would be if you land after an international flight(s) and have to go through the regular immigration lanes behind 200 or more people. You will have to clear Canada customs and then clear into the US again (including security) unless something has change recently. I just flew out of YYZ on Monday and for the first time was able to get my boarding pass on my phone. Prior to that I always had to get paper copies. Hope this helps!
and that's what I am trying to figure out, whether or not I would have to clear immigrations and then go through customs and security again. If say I can't check in via the Delta App, I suppose there could be a transfer desk where I can get my next ticket upon landing at YYZ. also, maybe its possible I can check in at the DTW skyclub and print the ticket out in the lounge? I will have 2 hours at DTW before boarding to Toromto.

If it works like NRT, then I am golden as I would only have to go through security.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
As you'll be entering the US preclearence area at YYZ, you should count on going through US style security. You might get away with "peeling off" from the rest of the DTW-YYZ passengers heading toward customs to rejoin the secure area without having to reclear, but I wouldn't bet on that. No way would I try this on separate tickets with only 76 minutes to connect.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:58 pm

Security yes and USA immigrations and customs due to pre clearance of transborder flights.

I'm not sure whether there's a transit bypass at YYZ that enables you to avoid Canadian immigration and customs. When I tried to do this a long time ago with PMNW, I did need to enter Canada formally and then go landside to get to the terminal area for the transborder flights. In the other direction, also with PMNW, a colleague of mine was trapped in a holding pen while waiting for a TATL flight and could not access the lounge KLM uses. However, I think the airport has been modified/renovated since then, so the situation now could be different.

I wouldn't try this because I've experienced long lines for both preclearance and security when attempting to leave Canada for the USA. IME if you attempt to check in for a transborder flight at T-60, you risk missing your plane due to these long lines and many transborder flights leaving around the same time.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
From someone with YYZ as home airport, not an expert wanna be from MSP

Upon arrival from DTW you will head to Canadian immigration to be processed.

Next you deal with baggage pick up and customs.

Upon exit from customs you need to head up to departure level and walk to US departure, at the other end of the terminal(T3).

If you already have a BP you line up for US preclear document check. You then use GE kiosk or regular kiosk.

Once you have cleared US CBP you then line up for flight security.

After that you are in the US departure holding area and head to your gate.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Upon arrival from DTW you will head to Canadian immigration to be processed.

Next you deal with baggage pick up and customs.

Upon exit from customs you need to head up to departure level and walk to US departure, at the other end of the terminal(T3).

If you already have a BP you line up for US preclear document check. You then use GE kiosk or regular kiosk.

Once you have cleared US CBP you then line up for flight security.

After that you are in the US departure holding area and head to your gate.
Sounds like 90 minutes is pushing the limit. There is a flight that leaves YYZ at 8:30 which gives me 3 hours and 23 minutes, obviously plenty of time but the cost is $100.00 more for the ticket...I guess its worth it based on what tentseller described as virtually a guarantee to miss the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.